“Malcolm + Anne. Wedding Anniversary supper.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Plough at Bolnhurst

The Plough at Bolnhurst
Ranked #2 of 406 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Catworth Huntingdon
“Malcolm + Anne. Wedding Anniversary supper.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Although only 10 miles from home our first meal at the Plough and what a lovely experience.
Beautiful surroundings, great service and delicious carefully presented food. An excellent venue for a special meal. We certainly recommend the Plough and 'look forward to eating there again.

1 Thank Malcolm A

UK
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

The Plough has a good range of bitters, wines and soft drinks and there are while-you-choose nibbles as well as starters. The menu changes fairly frequently making it possible to visit regularly and still being able to have something different. Lunchtime there are a number of specials on the board and there is usually an evening special of game or interesting cuts of steak. The team are very friendly; every time I go here it's the same quality and excellent service, it's like coming home.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Julie W
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Great food, not so great customer skills”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

We ate here (a large family group) for my husband's birthday lunch and it was our first visit. The overall opinion was that we all enjoyed the food (although my own was very salty, both starter and main). Our waitress was attentive and even brought the children some dominos to keep them amused.

The visit was overshadowed, however, by an incident that happened as we arrived. I and my 3 year old son asked the waitress where the toilets were and were told to go through a door marked 'private' which was closer to our table than the customer toilets. We came out and I looked round for my son only to hear him scream as he had literally been cornered by two large dogs in the corridor. I had to put myself between the dogs and my son in order to pick him up and we were both fairly upset by the experience as neither of us like dogs and my son is also allergic to them.

The waitress' first reaction was to say that it was only a puppy, that it wouldn't bite but I said no, there were two large dogs. The owner came along and started to berate me for going through a private door, saying that she was perfectly entitled to have dogs in there. I pointed out that I would NEVER go through a private door uninvited and as she realised that it was the waitress' fault she made some sort of apology but remained very ungracious, insinuating that it was my fault.

We also put up with knocking and banging sounds all through the meal and it was only when I asked the waitress that she explained they were doing renovations on the floor above us. It would have been better to warn us of this in advance or as we arrived, but we received no apology for the extra noise.

When I phoned up to book in advance I informed the restaurant that one of our guests was in a wheelchair yet they put us in a small low-ceilinged room which was not ideal for manoeuvring a wheelchair. I don't understand why we weren't put in the modern, spacious conservatory part given the size of our party but I didn't know the layout of the place before we arrived.

Would I return? Probably not as it's not a convenient location from where I live but also I have received much better customer service elsewhere.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank saltatt
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Superb setting with great cuisine - country dining at its best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

This is without a doubt a superb restaurant and on a hot summers day the perfect place for that special lunch. We particularly like sitting outside on their paved restaurant area surrounded by a well kept lawn in a tranquil country setting. We've also been there for dinner in the evening and have always enjoyed excellent food in a relaxing informal atmosphere.
I've lived in Bedfordshire for over 40 years and it has several great country pub restaurants but I can truthfully say there's no where I'd prefer to go these days for a special ocassion.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Reddenning
Bedfordshire
“Great Service, Wonderful Food but not quite 5/5”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Back again for a special occasion.

Only 1 starter and 1 main on the specials menu which was a bit of a shame. Visited for lunch the other day and they had a varied selection of specials.

Our starters were lovely.

I went for the rare ribeye for the main. It was cooked to perfection, but had quite a lot of gristle. The chips were super and the fact that the cauliflower cheese had too much parlsey was probably down to my hatred of that particular herb, so can't take points off for that.

Too stuffed to have a pudding so went for a glass of Dessert wine which hit the spot. Add a bottle of wine and a couple of pre meal drinks + Tips and we got to £100 for 2.

All in all 4/5 but will be back as I'm sure they'll get back to 5/5.

• 3 of 5 bubbles