“Drinks by the River Ouse”
Review of The Embankment

The Embankment
Reserve with OpenTable
The Embankment is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 419 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: European, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The Embankment has been a Peach Pub since 2008 since when it has become one of the premier spots in the heart of Bedford. The clue to our location is in the name! Bedford’s beautifully-landscaped Embankment has wonderful views out over the River Great Ouse, the boathouses and all the hustle and bustle of life on the river. The Embankment Hotel was built in 1891 and we renovated it to reflect its late-Victorian heyday, but with all the modern comforts & facilities of a great pub. The atmosphere is relaxed and hospitable. There is no stuffy hotel lobby or residents’ lounge, just a team of friendly faces to look after you.
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Drinks by the River Ouse”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I went to the pub with my dad and my dog. The people there were lovely, and we were able to sit outside with our dog and have a pint. The drinks were reasonable and the atmosphere was really lovely. I'll definitely be going again. I didn't go in for a meal, but I definitely intend to in the future!

• Visited February 2013
SwanGM, General Manager at The Embankment, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Many thanks for your great review.
We are glad you enjoy the terrace by the river, we do too. Hopefully you will join us for a meal soon to enjoy some of our fantastic food. We look forward to welcoming you.

• Slovak first
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Good new year at the embankment”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Well organized , good food , lovely service , fantastic band and enjoyed the casino . Slight muddle with the bill at the end of the eve but had a great time and so did our friends . Thank you embankment team

• Visited December 2013
SwanGM, General Manager at The Embankment, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Many thanks for joining us for New Years Eve and thank you for your review.
It was a great night and everyone seemed to have a cracker!
We have a Retox party this Saturday 1st February if you feel like a party soon.
Best wishes
Bedford, England, United Kingdom
“Fairly average”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We had our work's Christmas outing at the Embankment. It was ok - definitely festive, party season was well in swing, santa hats on the tables and the atmosphere was good with revellers filling the place up. It was a nice evening - but the food was below average and in all honesty I think it was very over priced for what it was - we had a set Christmas dinner menu option of three courses. The starter was nice, I had a fish board. The main course though, a Christmas turkey dinner, was a disappointment. Fortunately for me I have a small appetite but it was served in what I can only describe as a pasta bowl and consisted of a single (thick) slice of a rolled, stuffed turkey breast, three brussels sprouts, a small spoonful of sliced carrots, two small roast potatoes, a single stuffing ball and two pigs in blankets - imagine that on a plate, it wouldn't take up much room and for the price per head I think it was disgraceful. The food was bland and it was drizzled with a gravy which was also insipid and flavourless. The Christmas pud was ok, but came smothered in custard which I don't like - it would have been better if this was in a separate jug.

I'd describe the experience as disappointing, food wise - I'm not giving a dire review rating as the night wasn't bad, but in fairness this was probably more of what my colleagues and I made of the night than the Embankment's contribution.

I'm probably a touch biased as the only other experience I had with the Embankment in July 2010 was a shocking catering of my mother's wedding which resulted in them refunding every evening meal! I went with apprehension but resolving to keep an open mind for the Christmas do as I figured lightning doesn't strike twice, but sadly I can only conclude that the Embankment doesn't really deserve any of my hard earned money and I'm glad my work's do was paid for by the bosses as I would have begrudged the price for the food that was served.

• Visited December 2013
Many thanks for your review,
I would like to discuss your comments further. Please could you let me know the date you visited as I would very much like to discuss your comments with you in more detail.
Many thanks
Jonathan.taylor@peachpubs.com
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great Boxing Day Lunch”
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

We had a mixed family group including parents in-law, a toddler and a Labrador. We were given a great table with views over the river. The waitress was friendly and talked us through the excellent specials board. The food came on time and was great quality. Couldn't fault it at all, other than a pretty small portion of lamb on one plate, which was topped up quickly without any fuss. Great food and relaxing surroundings, I'm looking forward to visiting next time I'm in town.

SwanGM, General Manager at The Embankment, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Many thanks for your review.
It's been great to hear you had a fab time on boxing day with us!
I hope you had a lovely Christmas in Bedford and all of us at the pub wish you the very best for 2014.
We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit...just make sure you say hi!

Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
“No place better to get in the festive mood”
Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

We popped in at the Embankment a few times this month because as usual the food is very good, the beer choices the best in town and the atmosphere really fantastic. One small criticism would be that the beef burgers seem a tad on the light side for the price and could do with a little beefing up and the service could be a little more prompt but do understand that over this period it can be extremely busy. Really enjoyed the Xmas jumper night.

Hi Thomas

Thank you very much for your review, I’m glad you liked the vibe at the pub over Christmas, we were very busy and every night felt like a great party. Thank you as well for attending the Jumper party, it will definitely be back next year as such a good time was had by all!
Our burgers are one of our busiest sellers at the pub so i am surprised you thought these were not value for money. We are launching our Epic Burger Night on Monday 6th January, where there will be a big choice of burgers to suit everyone. I do hope you can join us on one of these nights. If you would like to book a table and come along please email me directly jonathan.taylor@peachpubs.com to ensure I can buy you and a friend a drink.

Kind regards