“Fairly average” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Embankment

The Embankment
Reserve with OpenTable
The Embankment is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 407 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The Embankment is an imposing mock-Tudor pub with rooms in the heart of Bedford. The clue to our location is in the name! We sit right in the middle of Bedford's beautifully-landscaped Embankment, with wonderful views out over the River Great Ouse, the boathouses and all the hustle and bustle of life on the river.
Bedford, England, United Kingdom
“Fairly average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

We had our work's Christmas outing at the Embankment. It was ok - definitely festive, party season was well in swing, santa hats on the tables and the atmosphere was good with revellers filling the place up. It was a nice evening - but the food was below average and in all honesty I think it was very over priced for what it was - we had a set Christmas dinner menu option of three courses. The starter was nice, I had a fish board. The main course though, a Christmas turkey dinner, was a disappointment. Fortunately for me I have a small appetite but it was served in what I can only describe as a pasta bowl and consisted of a single (thick) slice of a rolled, stuffed turkey breast, three brussels sprouts, a small spoonful of sliced carrots, two small roast potatoes, a single stuffing ball and two pigs in blankets - imagine that on a plate, it wouldn't take up much room and for the price per head I think it was disgraceful. The food was bland and it was drizzled with a gravy which was also insipid and flavourless. The Christmas pud was ok, but came smothered in custard which I don't like - it would have been better if this was in a separate jug.

I'd describe the experience as disappointing, food wise - I'm not giving a dire review rating as the night wasn't bad, but in fairness this was probably more of what my colleagues and I made of the night than the Embankment's contribution.

I'm probably a touch biased as the only other experience I had with the Embankment in July 2010 was a shocking catering of my mother's wedding which resulted in them refunding every evening meal! I went with apprehension but resolving to keep an open mind for the Christmas do as I figured lightning doesn't strike twice, but sadly I can only conclude that the Embankment doesn't really deserve any of my hard earned money and I'm glad my work's do was paid for by the bosses as I would have begrudged the price for the food that was served.

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
SwanGM, General Manager at The Embankment, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Many thanks for your review,
I would like to discuss your comments further. Please could you let me know the date you visited as I would very much like to discuss your comments with you in more detail.
Many thanks
Jonathan.taylor@peachpubs.com

• Slovak first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great Boxing Day Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

We had a mixed family group including parents in-law, a toddler and a Labrador. We were given a great table with views over the river. The waitress was friendly and talked us through the excellent specials board. The food came on time and was great quality. Couldn't fault it at all, other than a pretty small portion of lamb on one plate, which was topped up quickly without any fuss. Great food and relaxing surroundings, I'm looking forward to visiting next time I'm in town.

SwanGM, General Manager at The Embankment, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Many thanks for your review.
It's been great to hear you had a fab time on boxing day with us!
I hope you had a lovely Christmas in Bedford and all of us at the pub wish you the very best for 2014.
We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit...just make sure you say hi!

Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
“No place better to get in the festive mood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

We popped in at the Embankment a few times this month because as usual the food is very good, the beer choices the best in town and the atmosphere really fantastic. One small criticism would be that the beef burgers seem a tad on the light side for the price and could do with a little beefing up and the service could be a little more prompt but do understand that over this period it can be extremely busy. Really enjoyed the Xmas jumper night.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hi Thomas

Thank you very much for your review, I’m glad you liked the vibe at the pub over Christmas, we were very busy and every night felt like a great party. Thank you as well for attending the Jumper party, it will definitely be back next year as such a good time was had by all!
Our burgers are one of our busiest sellers at the pub so i am surprised you thought these were not value for money. We are launching our Epic Burger Night on Monday 6th January, where there will be a big choice of burgers to suit everyone. I do hope you can join us on one of these nights. If you would like to book a table and come along please email me directly jonathan.taylor@peachpubs.com to ensure I can buy you and a friend a drink.

Kind regards
Luton, United Kingdom
“you are con”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

it took 2 hours for the food and then got overchargerd shold have gon to radhuni they areth top dogs of the same pedigree

Visited July 2013
SwanGM, General Manager at The Embankment, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
We are not a con and this isnt really a "review".
I would be interested to know when you visited us. Please email me directly. Jonathan.taylor@peachpubs.com
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Great Christmas Party”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

Had a Christmas party in the private dining room at the Embankment on Friday evening and it was great. Easy to organise, helpful staff all the way through the planning and dinner, tasty food and vast amounts of booze - what's not to like? The room is great for about 16 to 20 comfortably and time just flew which is the sign of a great party.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank KCandJC
Thank you for your review!
We are really glad you had a great time. Have a lovely Christmas and all the best for 2014.