“Lunchtime visit” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Embankment

The Embankment
Reserve with OpenTable
The Embankment is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 407 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Scenic view, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The Embankment is an imposing mock-Tudor pub with rooms in the heart of Bedford. The clue to our location is in the name! We sit right in the middle of Bedford's beautifully-landscaped Embankment, with wonderful views out over the River Great Ouse, the boathouses and all the hustle and bustle of life on the river.
“Lunchtime visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Another gastropub with the now usual rectangular plates,soup in a cup .
Staff were young ,helpful
We had gammon sandwiches with chips.Gravy as a side.that was tasty although my wife's meat was fatty.
Coffee was excellent. 3 meals including drinks 27 quid

Visited April 2013

• Slovak first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I visited the Embankment for a late lunch on Sunday 14 April 2013 with a bunch of fellow rowers, having just finished racing in the Bedford Spring Head. I must say that this restaurant is very well placed and the staff are friendly. We sat outside and enjoyed the beautiful atmosphere in the sunshine with a view of the river. I had to Sunday roast (beef) which was beautifully done and served quickly. Our only disappointment is that they ran out of burgers after two in our crew took the last batch.

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Super food and still getting better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Booked a table for two on a busy Saturday night. We where greeted by a confidant gentleman at the door, and shown to a table.

Service was good, even tho the restaurant was full. I had the pidgin to start and the chicken off the specials bored for my main, witch was very special for a chicken dish!!
My wife had no starter, and the fish cake for her main, witch was once a gain very good! We shard a chocolate tart of sorts for dessert witch was rick and you could tell it had been made with top notch chocolate.

Over all for a pub, you get better food then a restaurant and it seems thy must have a great team of chefs, and someone with some very great skill level to taking simple food and making it a feast for your eyes and mouth.

Thank you to all the team!!!
Well done keep it up!
;)

Bedford
“A bit pretentious...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

My partner and I went to this restaurant before a cinema visit as thought was ideal location.
After the specials menu was "danced" to us by a friendly but a constantly in your face waitress we ordered the burger and fishcake meals.
The food arrived fairly quickly considering it was busy and was okay, nothing special but was okay. The fishcake was lovely apart from the coating of salt on the top which I scraped off.
The burger was okay in a basic bun but looking at both meals were very expensive at £23 for what we got.
Overall the food was average and ott service by a waitress who really needs to learn about personal space!
Compared with other local restaurants we found it lacking and are not likely to go again which is a shame as a lovely location.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SwanGM, General Manager at The Embankment, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Many thanks for your review.
We really do pride ourselves on the level of service we give our guests here at the Embankment. I am sorry you feel your waitress was over enthusiastic with the specials board and over the top. I am very surprised at this as i currently have no 'in your face' waitresses working for me. They should be friendly talkative and attentive. When was it you visited as it didnt state it in your review? We always recieve very good feedback from guests who have had our burger and fishcake so i am surprise by your comments. If informed at the time we will always replace any dish that the guest is not 100% happy with and can then of rectify the issue at the time. May I also ask how we are a bit pretentious?
I do hope you visit us again to try my new head chefs food. If you would like to discuss my response please call me on 07944510490.
Kind regards
Jonathan
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Nothing special if just visiting for breakfast.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just visited for breakfast with friends who were staying at Hotel. OK, it was a wedding group but the service was slow, inefficient and not up to the standard expected. I had to ask for coffee three times; nothing special or difficult, just plain black coffee. Management should be aware of this as there are lost opportunities for increased sales.

1 Thank Steveie B
Many thanks for your review.
This has been addressed by myself. The morning you visited was particularly busy but this is no excuse for your coffee not ariving on time and for this I apologise. We are a very popular place for peoples morning coffees and pride ourselves with our speed of service and efficiency. Please let me know when you next visit and i will make sure you have round of coffees on the house. Served on time of course.
Kind regards