“Would stay again”

Ranked #34 of 65 Carlisle B&B and Inns
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Would stay again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Booked at the last minute and would stay again. Ground floor room comfortable for 3 adults, hot drink tray and a welcome chocolate bar for each of us! Christine cooked a hearty breakfast and there was a good selection of cereals, fresh fruit, juices and yoghurt. There is free Wifi access and the option to watch a DVD in your room too. A car parking permit was arranged for us together with maps of the area and information on local restaurants and places to visit. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Lancashire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the Townhouse but it is definitely not 4 star, as advertised. We booked a triple room for 3 adults and ended up with a small family room with a double bed and single bed. The bathroom was tiny and all of the decor was dated with cheap furniture and fittings (i.e. chipped ornaments, dusty lampshades). The 'view' from our window was onto the bins in the yard. Breakfast was OK, fairly standard but nothing special. Its situation is very handy, on the main road in from the M6 and it is surprisingly quiet at night.
So, no real issues but definitely NOT 4 star accommodation

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank a1vicster
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I booked a room the night before using laterooms. It was the cheapest on the site, but was pleasantly surprised when I arrived!

I had a single room, which had a basin, shared bathroom, TV and a yummy chocolate biscuit to go with my tea/coffee! The choice of breakfast was good (cereals, full English, vegetarian, eggs anyway you want juice tea/coffee etc.), and the food itself went down a treat!

The proprietor was very friendly, helpful and made me feel at home. I was also given a parking temporary parking permit, so I could park right outside.

Pros: Good value, lovely breakfast, very good location for Carlisle city centre (10 min walk), friendly host, chocolate biscuit!

Cons: Walls were either a little thin or the person next to me was very loud in their en-suite bathroom. I suspect it was more the latter!

Overall: A lovely B&B, ideal for exploring Carlisle and the surrounding area. I will be returning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Whitehaven
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed here for one night with a friend. We were made to feel very welcome and comfortable. Rooms had everything we needed. They were spacious, light, spotlessly clean and very comfortable. There was a good choice of breakfast items including several cooked options, cereals toast etc. Wifi access is free and there is a computer available for use. There is parking directly outside. City centre is a short pleasant walk away. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I would definitely ask for an en-suite room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Booking was easy.. Rang the b&b spoke directly to the owner made the reservation as easy as that! Arrived early in the morning before 7.30am.. No trouble provided breakfast for my daughter upon request!!.. Rooms are big and airy. Very clean! Breakfast is excellent!!.. Nothings to much trouble!.. Will definately go back again!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Cambridge,UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Only about 10 minute walk from the station, very quiet location considering its close to town centre. Rooms very clean and meet their purpose of a comfortable nights sleep.

Plenty of Cereals on offer, Good Choice of Cooked Items that you order the day before with your serving time too which is nice if you want a bit of a lie in ! Christine and Duncan very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

I always try to make reservations directly with small properties, to save them commissions, and it always seems to come back to bite me. I made a booking on the Townhouse B&B website and received a confirmation letter from a company called "eviivo" that said if I need to cancel, contact the B&B directly. Unfortunately I did need to cancel and I sent an email to the B&B, well in advance of their 48 hour cancellation deadline.

When I did not hear back, I called the hotel and was told "Yes, I saw your email, but because you booked through eviivo, I ignored it. You have to cancel with them." I pointed out I didn't book through eviivo, and in any case the cancellation instructions were to contact the hotel directly. The person I spoke with said she would call eviivo and get back to me, but of course she never did.

So now I'm fighting with eviivo to get my deposit back. However, the reason I'm leaving a negative review is because any time you're told, "I saw your email, but ignored it" should be a big red flag to stay as far away from a company as possible.

Or at the very least, ensure you book through a reputable travel agency who will take care of these things for you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo