“Painful”

Townhouse Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #33 of 61 Carlisle B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I always try to make reservations directly with small properties, to save them commissions, and it always seems to come back to bite me. I made a booking on the Townhouse B&B website and received a confirmation letter from a company called "eviivo" that said if I need to cancel, contact the B&B directly. Unfortunately I did need to cancel and I sent an email to the B&B, well in advance of their 48 hour cancellation deadline.

When I did not hear back, I called the hotel and was told "Yes, I saw your email, but because you booked through eviivo, I ignored it. You have to cancel with them." I pointed out I didn't book through eviivo, and in any case the cancellation instructions were to contact the hotel directly. The person I spoke with said she would call eviivo and get back to me, but of course she never did.

So now I'm fighting with eviivo to get my deposit back. However, the reason I'm leaving a negative review is because any time you're told, "I saw your email, but ignored it" should be a big red flag to stay as far away from a company as possible.

Or at the very least, ensure you book through a reputable travel agency who will take care of these things for you.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Townhouse Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed October 30, 2012

very warm and friendly was 10 min from m6 and easy to find was 5 min walk to town center i stayed in a single room witch was lovely plenty of space tv kettle alarm clock bed was comfey parking is on road out side so can c car breakfest was wot i wanted from the list i was given will b useing again as very happy

Room Tip: any room will do upon wot u want it for singal or double
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 11, 2012

A friendly, warm, and cosy B&B.

Large bedroom, crisp white cotton sheets, ensuite with lashings of hot water. Tea, coffee, and a Kit Kat biscuit in the room.

Good cooked breakfast, let down a little by poor quality greasy sausages.

Parking at the door with free permit supplied. Less than a ten minute walk into town.

Recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The owners were extremely helpfun and kind, the room was clean and thoughtfully laid out with tea and coffee station and quite a few extras, bathroom was spotless and the breakfast was more than enjoyable with lots of choice and the best coffee I've had in a long time.

Location was fantastic, right near the city center and walking distance from absolutely everything, absolutely perfect, could not have been better.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Liam James G
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This B&B was in a great location, only a few minutes walk from the centre of town. The room was beautifully presented and the welcome was very warm. I enjoyed my kitkat that was left with tea and coffee! I had a good night sleep and perfect poached eggs in the morning - what more could I have asked for?

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed two nights at the Townhouse, my partner Ben had walked Hadrian's wall. I was to join him there for the last day, but due to train delays I didn't arrive until very late - after 11pm. I had been able to warn Ben however, and he was given a key to let me in, and come and go as needed. The room was big enough for all three of us - Sansa the dog was welcomed - and had a small but spotless en suite with good quality toiletries provided and a decent shower. A variety of teas, coffee and hot chocolate was provided in the room and a TV. It was also located in a very quiet spot, and our room being at the back was very peaceful. I was welcomed warmly by Christine in the morning, and fed a good breakfast which we ordered the night before. I am picky with breakfasts but Christine & Duncan provide something for all tastes and we were properly set up for the last 15 miles. We returned late, but again there was no problem as Ben had been given a key. Christine was very accommodating the next day, although she needed us to check out by 1045 she let us leave our bags in the dining room for a few hours as our train wasn't until 1449. The Townhouse is only a short walk from the city centre and we spent a pleasant few hours window shopping and watching the world go by from a cafe. Christine ordered us a cab when we returned and was cheerful and friendly the whole time. The only improvement I could imagine would be a bathtub for aching walkers :) Many thanks to Christine & Duncan; if I am in the area again I would certainly re-book.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Second time we've stayed here in five years and it's good to find that it's still run by the same people, Christine and Duncan, and still every bit as good.

Quiet and leafy location, warm welcome, well appointed rooms, comfy beds, great breakfast and very convenient for all sorts of things like the town centre and railway station, the M6 and Hadrian's Wall. Oh, and it's dog friendly. Our Jack Russell loves it too.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family