“Excellent Hotel”

Hayle, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed at the Dalston hall 3 times in the last 6 months,
Interesting old manor house, very large luxurious rooms, enormous beds and bathrooms, great breakfast and friendly staff,
couldn't ask for more

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MarkPearce

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Aberdeenshire
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed here for one night in May 2013. It was quite late in the evening until we arrived.
We were checked in by the owner, who didn't give us the most friendly welcome but was very efficient. When he served us drinks in the bar later he had lightened up a bit and was quite cordial.

Our room (7, I think) was lovely. It had a four-poster bed with a comfortable mattress. The building itself is very interesting and it has been sympathetically converted into a hotel - you certainly feel like you are in a very old building and not a modern hotel room. The room had a nice layout with the room sort of divided into two areas - one with the bed and one with a small sofa, dressing table, TV, etc. The windows are beautiful - no modern double glazing in sight. Very heavy curtains would keep out any draft. My only complaint about the room was that the bathroom was a little dated and not very well laid out - there was a shelf right above the sink which got in the way when trying to wash my face. Everything was very clean, however.

Our meal in the restaurant was very good. I had scallops (ever so slightly over-done) with black pudding and cauliflower puree and my husband had pate. The fillet steaks were excellent. Perfectly cooked and there was a good selection of sauces and side orders. The two members of staff who served our food and drinks were excellent. Very attentive and friendly. I overheard them giving plenty of advice to foreign guests who were looking for tips on the area. The staff could not be faulted.

Breakfast was also excellent.

I would recommend Dalston Hall, and would certainly stay here again if I were in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TownheadHaze
redcar
Reviewed May 13, 2013

stayed here for one night on a saturday and first impressions are good when you approach you see and old building with a tower and stone mullion windows - the entrance door is big and old then inside there is an iron yett (metal gate) as part of the original old tower.

the main hall is lovely with wood paneling and a balcony and was set out for a wedding

reception was quick and efficient and we were given our key to room 13

the room is not what you expect - sort of modern with some eclectic pieces of furniture - all good quality but not what we wanted or expected

we changed to room 11 which was more in keeping with a historic building with a 4 poster bed and dark furniture (except for the unusual leather chair)

everything was very clean and mostly in good condition but there are no curtains - just blinds
the view looks out onto the roof and if anyone is working on the roof outside they can see in - even the bathroom!

the staff are all pleasant and polite

the restaurant looks nice apart from an unusual large chair at the side - seemed completely out of place

lots of black - tablecloths , napkins and staff attire

the food was very nice - tasty , cooked well and presented well

one problem - we ordered the house champagne as it was my birthday and we were served sparkling wine ???

we only realised this after it had been opened and we tasted it

when we ordered the champagne the staff member said the name of drink which we assumed was the name of the champagne as there are so many and when we asked about it afterwards we were told that we were offered this drink and we said yes - yes we did we thought it was the name of a champagne as that is what we asked for - NOT sparkiling wine (i know it is made in the same way but it is not the same drink)

the grounds outside are nice to walk around but it would be nicer if they were maintained better as this is classed as a 4 star hotel

overall we mostly enjoyed our stay but at £135 per room for one night there are better hotels and cheaper even old hotels with character

Room Tip: room 13 is more modern and contempary in design so if you like "ode worlde" appeal chose a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
bournemouth
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed at this hotel/castle during April for 1 night and was treated like a King. Fantastic service by all concerned and the owner himself was there to assist with any issues. The room was huge and furnished to a very high standard. Although I did not eat the evening meal at the hotel I did take breakfast and it was one of the best I've had in any hotel in the UK.

This is certainily a hotel that I will be using again in my trips to the Carlisle area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank iron0710
Glasgow
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying in Dalston Hall last week while working in Carlisle for 5 days.

I booked 4 nights from Monday through to Friday. Although situated a couple of miles outside the city, the location is excellent and only took 10 mins to get to work every day.

The hotel is set off road and is easy to find, the grounds of the hotel are beautiful with fantastic lawns which are extremely well kept.

Inside, the decor is superb with a real old fashioned feel to it, a must for any visitor who wants to sample the atmosphere of a country hotel.

The room I was in was massive with large modern tv, couch and 4 poster bed. The room was cleaned every day to an excellent standard.

Anyone who stays here MUST try the food, I ate breakfast and dinner every day I was there and could not find fault in one single meal.The evening meals were absolutely outstanding, with a great choice to suit all.

The steak was one of the best I have ever eaten and would thououghly recommend it. I dont think I can praise the food enough.... try it you wont be dissapointed.

The staff in the hotel are extremely friendly, keen to make conversation and nothing is to much of an issue. You can order food from the bar and once ready they carry your drinks through to the restaurant for you, a nice touch I thought.

The owner is a lovely guy and takes time out to join you for a chat and spend time with his customers.

All in a fantastic hotel and well worth a visit if your in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Paulbhoy
cumbria england
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

I am writing this review because I feel this hotel doesn't get the recognition it deserves , the hotel only has 13 rooms as space hasn't been sacrificed in order to make more profit . A big plus to me :) the owners are very pleasant and approachable and can not do enough for you . The steak I was served was one of the best I have ever had ! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend dalston hall to anyone. I will be booking another stay there myself, so thanks again to all at dalston hall for making us feel so welcome . All the best. Ian

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank ian r
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed here for a short Easter trip. The staff were lovely and very friendly, the room was extremely clean and the views of the grounds were beautiful. We had a meal at the hotel and really enjoyed the food. The atmosphere was very relaxed and we felt comfortable wondering around and exploring! We had a small problem with the water tank in the toilet keep refilling, we told them at breakfast and by the time we had eaten and got back to our room it was sorted out! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2013