“Fabulous service and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Tayay Kitchen - CLOSED

Tayay Kitchen
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Italian, Spanish
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: Tayay Kitchen located in the centre of Carlisle is a beautiful basement venue, that not only serves traditional Italian and Thai cuisine but also the fusion of both cuisines creating interesting and very tasty dishes to alight your palate.All ingredients are fresh with no use of MSG in any dish, each dish is made fresh so any dietary requirements are catered for.The partnership of Italian and Thai is the creation of Vanissa, fromThailand who moved to Italy as a child, after meeting her partner Antonio in Italy they embarked on an adventure to come here to share there love of both foods.The decor is stunning and the eclectic mixture of staff makes Tayay an exciting place to be with the added attraction of hosting live acoustic acts once a month.Come and give us a try you will be pleasantly surprised.
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Fabulous service and food”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Tayay Kitchen is a brilliant little place - just went there for the first time and will definitely be back again! Odd combination of Italian and Thai and some fusion dishes, but it means everyone is catered for! I had the yellow curry which was delicious. The decor and atmosphere are superb as well - one of my friends commented that he would like to live there!

But what made the evening a step above the rest was the service - although dishes did arrive at the table at different times - the staff were so friendly, accommodating and generous. We received free sangria, prawn crackers and garlic pizza bread before our meal. These extra touches were so thoughtful I definitely want to return to try more things on the menu!

The only thing is that although the curry dishes are slightly larger, they are still tapas-sized so big appetites (like mine) might need a smaller dish as well, but it does leave more room for dessert!

2 Thank Anna B

Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Lovely Food - Very Welcoming. Nice Twist On Fusion Food.”
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Last minute decision to eat out on a Friday night so I rang up to enquire about a table here and luckily there was one free. We were greeted by a friendly waitress who showed us to our table and explained the menu. She informed us that some portions were small hence the tapas style. My husband does not like unusual or spicy food where as the spicier the better for me. He chose an Italian carbonara while I had a couple of Thai dishes. We were given some lovely dough bread and dip to nibble on while we waited for our food to arrive. Like another reviewer, you probably won't get your food served at the same time as others in your party, my food came out first, so I used the opportunity to persuade my husband to give Thai food a try, which he did and I think he secretly enjoyed it! I was very impressed with my food. The carbonara was nice but perhaps the Thai food had the edge. During our meal both the chef and the owner came over to our table to chat to us about our meal, this was a nice touch. After we had finished our meal we were given a small Limoncello drink, it was a lovely touch and rounded off the evening nicely. It felt like the kind of service you get when you go abroad :-). I agree with the restaurants moto about leaving as a friend. I'm already looking forward to my return visit. Thank you.

1 Thank Gillybt
Carlisle
“Simply Superb.”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Nothing to fault in this lovely little restaurant.

It's downstairs near Argos in Carlisle, steepish stairs so watch your footing. We entered a tranquil super-clean restaurant in shades of green - very peaceful and calming.

We were offered a lunch menu which is extremely well priced, but we had a voucher so we chose to eat from the main menu. Prices are also very good on the main menu.

Food choice were vast and it was quite difficult to pick something as it all sounded quite delicious.

As it is Tapas style, don't expect it all to arrive at the same time. This is particular awkward when one is a meat eater and one is a vegetarian as we didn't choose dishes to share, I had to watch Hubby eat his meal while waiting for mine to arrive. But that's the Tapas thing I guess.

The food though was nothing short of fantastic. Especially the potato and mozzarella calzone topped with satay sauce and peanuts. Such a delight on the tastebuds.

The bill came to around £26 for two of us eating 4 plates of Tapas between us, a 250ml carafe of wine and a couple of soft drinks.

Will definitely be back!

1 Thank Soozintheshed
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“The best?? Maybe!”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Visited this gem of a place with a friend and my daughter, yes the food was amazing and reasonably priced, add on good service effortless ordering from 2 menues, (been to other places where they don't like you doing this) great wine, cocktails and the setting is fabulous. Thankyou Tayay fora great afternoon x

1 Thank taste100
carlisle
“"Rose among thorns"”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Oh My !!
What a truly wonderful find on the normally dreary "Lowther Street". I stumbled across this bright and fresh basement cafe as I was walking with my young daugter. It was in fact she who noticed the vibrant green and freshly whitewashed exterior walls, adorned with pretty hanging baskets. The food sounded interesting on the boards outside and as I like to support independent restaurants, where possible, we gave it a go and I am so glad we did.
Friendly staff, great customer service, great food. I love Thai food, so depite it being Thai/ Italian fusion, I opted to stay with Thai. Fantastic fresh, flavours bursting onto your tongue.
The restaurant oozed atmosphere, with thoughtfully and lovingly designed interior, thoughout the entire restaurant including the toilets!. A vibrant visual feast for the eyes too. I also loved the fact they had kept some of the original features of the building (original fireplace and hearth) .
Lunch for two , one being a childs 3 course meal, plus drinks came to just over 13 pounds. Astonishingly great value.
I am so excited I have found this "hidden treasure" and cannot wait to return.

• Visited May 2013