“Would strongly recommend a visit.”
Review of The Shabby Scholar

The Shabby Scholar
Ranked #29 of 367 Restaurants in Carlisle
Cuisines: Bar, Cafe
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Shabby Scholar a cafe lunch bar through the day serving fresh rustic lunches using local produce and a Tapas bar by night providing a relaxed social environment to enjoy some modernised English tapas!
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I visited with a group of friends. The atmosphere was relaxed and staff very friendly and helpful. The selection of food was beautiful and tasty. Cocktails were to die for. Ideal if you like to try a bit of everything. Can't wait to go back, I would recommend a visit. Very happy. Thank you Shabby. X

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Very limited menu. Had just met my friend and we wanted to cha. Had to ask for the music to be dimmed. Food was very ordinary, but I am sure it will delight the student population.

2  Thank Julia D
Reviewed October 23, 2013

At last what Carlisle needed! A nice informal little Bohemiem place with quirky delicious food and drinks. I had the Pulled Pork in Brioche and it was delicious. The seasoning on the chips was also a nice touch my only critisism was that they were a bit too chunky for my personal taste. But it dod not spoil my meal in any way i just couldn't finish them all! My sister had the mussels which came in a delicious sauce and a beautiful side salad as she didnt want to eat bread - no extra charge either! Loved the decor, reminded me of some of the cooler bars in London with a kinda of old worldie vibe. I am a chef by trade and it was nice to see a place which ISNT trying to do the same thing as everyone else and is developing its own style. The serving staff were lovely made us feel at home. We had a small issue with our lattes not being as hot as we liked - but were given fresh cups at the piping hot tempreture we love without any fuss and the little home-made biscuits were a lovely touch.
You also need a bigger place as I saw you turn away a few as you had run out of seats. See you again very soon.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Excellent food with a difference. Great staff who help you to be daring with the menu. Really impressed.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Quirky, intimate restaurant, staff very helpful, even with buggy in tight space. Bistro menu, portions good. Nice ambience.