“new years bliss”
Review of Rafiks - CLOSED

Rafiks
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Originally openend in 1976 by Rafique Uddin and Cumbria's very first Indian restaurant, has now been reopened 35 years later by his sons Shaha and Koish. For true flavours from the Indian Sub-Continent come visit RAFIKS.
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Had a wonderful new years meal with my partner at rafiks.
it was a special set menu for the evening with some new and unusual dishes.
The obligatory poppadoms with dips to start and some lovely spiced olives to pick at.
The murgh trio starter was tasty and satisfying with the thigh in particular juicy with lovely crisp skin. My wife thought her fish pakora was excellent, crisp batter with a hint of chilli and spices encasing moist fish with fresh pea shoots crunchy sharp apple and a coriander sales.
If the starters were great the mains were better.
My danda lamb, a slow cooked lamb shank in cashew paste with Bengal style mash was so flavoursome and my wife's butter chicken looked delicious but she wouldn't let me have any so I cant comment on taste.
To finish I had mango kulfi with mango and chilli soup, sweet, sharp and refreshing and my partner had the strawberry somosas with a rich chocolate dipping sauce, oppulent and moreish.
A 4 course exceptinal meal plus rice and nan for 24.95 each on new years eve was outstanding value for money. Will be booking in for their valentines set menu asàp.

Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Visited on a busy Saturday night and really enjoyed this place. The service was fantastic. Friendly and attentive but not over the top. As soon as I approached the bottom of my first pint of Cobra I was offered another and to my partners annoyance this was repeated as I finished the second. Food arrived promptly and was delicious. Some interesting choices on the menu. I had the Philli Chicken which had a real kick but wasn't overpowering. The presentation of the food is really good with a little artistic flare in parts. My only complaint was that the restaurant seemed a bit chilly. That aside, we left with nothing but positive comments for this great little Indian restaurant.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Staff friendly and polite whilst providing excellent service. Food beautifully prepared and presented. Especially good value on the Sunday set menu. Portions are just the right size.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Excelent food and friendly, fast service. Will definitely go again. Had a few curries, rice and nan, all cooked to perfection.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Quality Indian food at it's best. Beautiful flavours. We have eaten in & taken out. Never disappointed.