“Absolutely Fabulous”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Enjoyed a lovely relaxing family meal with my eighty one year old mother, sister, brother in-law and daughter last night. The food far exceeded my expectations although I had been told that it was very good prior to my visit. The menu was interesting and catered well for vegetarians which we find difficult to find in this area. The food was not only mouthwateringly tasty but also looked fabulous on the plate. The service was great, with two lovely polite young ladies who checked on us frequently to ensure we were happy with everything. My sister who owns a restaurant in London and my brother in law who is a chef pay particular attention to detail when eating out and were also extremely impressed with both the service, the food and the reasonable price. The young lady who served us was happy to answer any questions they both asked her and made our experience all the better.
The decor is beautiful with some interesting pieces of artwork and all the different types of seating make for a comfortable relaxed experience for anyone.
I have ben told the owner has a number of restaurants in Carlisle which does not surprise me as he definitely has his eye on the ball and i would like to thank him for a perfect night.

1  Thank Michelle G
There are newer reviews for The Thin White Duke

Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is my absolute favourite bar in Carlisle. Great atmosphere,bursting with character, stylish and fun. Staff friendly and attentitive ,get the feeling a tight ship is run !
Make sure you take a look at the cellar rooms, divine , good to get away from the hustle and bustle of a packed weekend night upstairs. Resident DJ, great music. Wide variety of drinks on tap. Apparently a good cocktail list, though never had one.
Food great gastro pub food and very reasonableconsidering the quality. Have never had a bad meal there.
Main toilets have a luxury feel to them ,with huge mirror on the wall and couch!!
Disabled loo on ground floor and one in the cellars. Rooms in the cellar to hire for parties.
Does get packed on a weekend , so to see it at its best, avoid at these times.
Also fairly kid friendly, although very much an adult bar.
Loads of light bites ideal for small child.
Ate their yesterday with my daughter and a friend.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Ate here early in December and had the christmas menu which was full of plenty of variety, and which we found to be to a very high standard whilst dining. We were seated downstairs which was preferential as it can get very busy and noisy upstairs. The service was very efficient and the staff were very busy, i just feel they need more interaction with their customers and maybe the odd smile wouldn't go amiss, they were almost robotic!

Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Had a quick stop by after an afternoon shopping hoping to grab a quick sandwich ordered 2 drinks a coke and a pint almost 6pound???? Bit dear for what it is really! Asked for menus to be told the kitchen is closed until later but if you have a seat I'll bring some menus over shortly we sat an had a conversation taking time on my overpriced pint! No menus appeared bit lacklustre and to quick to shrug off custom I thought.

Overall a very noisy environment to sit in but a very welcome retreat from going round the shops (haha)
Do yourselves a favour put the prices back to earth and you'll do better trade

1  Thank Honestalan
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Ate with four friends and every dish was lovely. Good food and nice presentation.
Also a good cocktail list.
Would thoroughly recommend.