“great place for children”

Tullie House Museum & Art Gallery
Ranked #4 of 52 things to do in Carlisle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed January 15, 2013

super place, lots to do on a rainy day. The exhibitions change often and its always quite busy. I would recommend this to famies of all ages.

All reviews
"adults and children"
"lovely cafe"
"great for kids"

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We visited Tullie House in October when we visited from Australia. We have become very interested in the Border Reivers and thought the display was very good and explained the history in detail. For a musuem not in a major city we thought it was well set out and well labelled. The Roman Gallery was well set out with enough to interest adults but also keep kids occupied at the same time too. The staff were very helpful and were able to answer any questions we had. There was a good range of subjects covered, we spent a couple of hours there and could have spent longer if we had had more time. If you are an English Heritage Member you get 2 for 1 entry - we joined even though we were only visiting for 7 weeks.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

The Roman exhibition is always popular and the children love using the computers to find out what type of Roman character they are, more computers would save queueing time. The art gallery temporary exhibitions are worth going to see. These are free entry which don't require a Tullie card.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

We went to see specifically the new frontiers gallery in the basement and the review will only reflect our experiences on the desk and this gallery.
We arrived paying our (considerable) entrance fee and asked to gift-aid it, which we declined. The lady on the desk left us in no doubt as to what she thought of THAT, which we did find welcoming.

The frontier gallery is in the basement. Tullie House has long had a reputation for excellent displays on Hadrian's Wall and the material found there, and as Wall enthusiasts we were looking forward to it and had driven three hours to see it. We found it - wanting. The gallery is designed for children, possibly for children under the age of 12 to judge from the height of the displays. They are so low, that my back ached from bending over after half an hour.
There are lots of activity zones for children, which take lots of space, but only a very small proportion of the excellent material from Tullie House and what there is, is very badly explained. Instead, general information about the Romans abounds - again on the level of Key stage 2, as well as video montages on modern warfare and frontiers, whose function for the rest of the exhibition is not readily apparent.

A whole set of inscriptions is behind glass with big colourful markings, apparently to pick out important details from the inscriptions, but as the lighting is so bad, you can't actually read much of the inscriptions and the bits you could read are obscured by the colourful markings and text.
A reused milestone has a beautiful explanation, how important and rare this reuse is - and then the explanation is carefully positioned to obscure the second inscription. Some of the finds from sites from the Wall, which used to be well explained in the old exhibition, are now reduced to a small display with labels like 'roman pottery' - yes, well, the red colour of the clay was sort of a give away. Those, who want to make the connection between the finds and the specific sites on the Wall, are much disappointed, only a small proportion of finds has actually any identifiable origin and some of the finds on display look as if they were given to Tullie House by 19th century travellers to the Mediterranean, rather than be found on the Wall, something that the numerous loans and copies from the British Museum does nothing to dispel.
The moment that topped it for me, however, was when I was actually tripped up by the reconstruction of a Roman field grill on the floor, which had been thoughtfully left between the glass wall and the tent reconstruction in a not very well lit part of the gallery.I presume it was left there, to give children the chance to play at/experience being a Roman soldier. I am not and I did not expect to have to use the circumspection I employ in my nieces playroom and I do treasure my limbs.
Was it worth coming on a six hour round trip to see this part of Tullie House? Not really, I should have gone up to the Wall and visited Carvoran or Vindolanda, which cover the same subject much better.

4  Thank AngharadWilmslow
See more reviews
Reviewed December 13, 2012

This museum is very well laid out and the information panels are a gem as they give you a really good insight into the exhibits. The background sound effects could do with being a touch lower in volume to my mind as sometimes it detracts and spoils your concentration. Friendly staff and a very well laid out plan enables you to choose what you want to see. Everything from pre-Roman through pre-Raphaelite to the coming of the railways and heavy industry is there for you. Difficult to fault this place especially when you know that their background staff restored the Crosby-Garrett helmet. I am being really picky when I comment on the sound effects.Second time around for us and it will not be the last.Well done all round. P.S. great restaurant also!!