“A lovely stay”

Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Staffs
“A lovely stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed for two nights with The Gold Voucher scheme which was excellent value for money. Just a couple of points, on the arrival the reception staff were pleasant but although asking if we wanted to book a table for dinner and telling us our room number , she did not give any more details of the hotel for example meal times and the restaurants location. The room was in the annex and although very pleasant and clean it was cold the temperature improved during the evening and was adequate for the rest of our stay. The table d'hote was very good but it was not explained that we could upgrade to the a la carte, we did this on the second night and as we did not want a dessert we did not pay any extra as the menu is very reasonably priced. As the previous reviewers have stated the hotels location is ideal when visiting Carlisle. We would visit again if we were in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caz1948
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Caz1948,
Thank you for your review, I am glad you had a lovely stay. I am sorry that you were not given any more information on check in and when you were in the restaurant that evening, you should have been informed of meal times and any upgrades that were available to you. Regarding the temperature of your room, had you alerted the duty manager or reception staff someone would have been happy to supply you with an extra heater for your room. I am glad that you found the Gold Voucher deal good value for money. Thank you again for your review and I will look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
cheshire, england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

Hi my mum and I stayed for one night on Friday, I was a little worried after reading some reviews but booked a twin room and asked to have a refurbished room. The room was large and very clean, the bathroom was clean but a crack in the sink let this down and I know some people moan about a shower over a bath but the shower was great. The hotel is still being refurbished but the entrance and bar are lovely. Breakfast was great, lovely staff and a nice choice. Would I stay again....yes and hope to do so later in the year when we visit family again. The location is spot on and if you have a refurbished room you can't go wrong.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Penny73,
Thank you for your review, I am glad that you and your Mum had a nice stay. As for the crack in the sink, thank you for bringing this to my attention, I will investigate this as soon as possible. Thank you again for your review and I will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit.
Bradford, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

This was our second two-night stay using the Peel Hotels Gold Voucher scheme. We arrived on a Saturday and, because there was a function on, we had to double park in the small car park. This was no problem - we left our car keys with a member of staff and by mid-day Sunday our car was neatly parked in its own spot. The room, in the annex, was well-appointed and spacious and the bathroom spotless. The room temperature was a little low but within 30 minutes of mentioning it at reception, we had an additional oil-filled heater. One minor gripe - the duvet was barely wider than the bed and my wife and I spent each night fighting for possession of it.

The breakfasts were excellent, especially if you like prunes, summer fruits, oranges and grapefruit. (I do!). There is a choice of cooked meals if you don't want the full English. (Why would anyone not want the full English?). The evening menu for those on the Gold voucher scheme is varied enough for most tastes and the food fine. Drinks from the bar were not expensive.

The location, as others have commented on, is excellent. The castle, cathedral and all of the shops are within easy walking distance and easily accessible since Carlisle town centre is very flat for the most part.

Don't be fooled by the photo of the pool - it is about 10m x 3m. However, it is very warm and the jacuzzi is even warmer.

We have stayed at the Caledonian in Newcastle on this scheme and rate that highly too but for location the Crown and Mitre wins hands-down. We shall return!

Room Tip: Phone Peel Hotels and ask about their Gold Voucher scheme. You get a room upgrade.
Dear Montygomez,
Thank you for your review, I am glad to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotels great location is one of the great features of the hotel as, like you said, the hotel is in the city centre and has great tourist spots such as the Castle and Cathedral only a short walk away. Thank you again for your review and I will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Melling, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

The Crown & Mitre hotel is in the centre of Carlisle with M & S on one side and the Cathedral on the other. We had an executive room which although comfortable was rather small to be classed as "executive" in our opinion. This is a very traditional town centre hotel that does show a bit of ware and tear in the main public areas but appears to slowly being updated to some areas. The staff are friendly and the breakfasts and evening meals were good value. The swimming pool and jacuzzi were the extra big plus for us. After a day walking round the town etc it was good to relax in the pool before the evening meal. A good value hotel

Dear John53Heather,
Thank you for your review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and the food. The hotel is currently being renovated including our bedrooms, public areas and function facilities so you may notice the difference on your next visit. The Pool and Jacuzzi is a great feature of the hotel which I am glad you agree with. Thank you again for your review and I will look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Larkhall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

This hotel is situated right in the heart of Carlisle close to the shops. Carlisle Cathedral is almost right next to the Hotel, let's say a two minute walk at most. Tullie House Museum and Art Gallery, the main visitor attraction, is just around the corner, at most a three to four minute walk away. So, for shopping and sightseeing the location could not be better. Our room was an executive room and was well equipped with all we needed for a comfortable stay, apart from a safety deposit box, although vauables could be left at reception, however, I never feel that arrangement to be very convenient. The only real problem we had with our room was that it was very cold. We reported this at reception and a staff member put an electric heater in our room and plugged it in for us while we were at dinner. We kept that heater for the whole of our 3 night stay to supplement the heat from the very small radiator. We were glad of it, because the central heating seemed to be kept at a very low level. This, however, is the only fault I could find with the hotel as the service and food were very good and our room was comfortable otherwise. I would not have been comfortable without the extra heater and I think management should look to improving the heating as the hot water was only just warm enough for a shallow bath in the morning and my husband experienced a cool shower.

Dear LindaM,
Thank you for your review, I am glad you had a pleasant stay. I am deeply sorry about the problems that you encountered with the water and heating during your stay. We were experiencing some trouble with the boiler and we have now rectified this issue by fitting two new water boilers. Thank you again for your review, I hope that you will visit us again in the near future.
Leven, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Nice place in the heart of city. Great for shopping step out side plenty
of shops Top names and Local.Hotel slowly being updated.
Some ware and tare but Great place to stay. This is 2Nd time
stayed last time we had slippers and Robes which were handy for
Pool,.Food good value, Breakfast self service but omelette and
porrage cooked to order nice.Staff very helpful allways asking
you need more tea coffee or toast.

Room Tip: You better to walk from Train station only 4/5 mins CITY all one way TAXI long trip blame CITY...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Postmanvince,
Thank you for your recent review, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The hotel is in a great location, only a short walk from the train station and right in the centre of town so there is plenty to do. I am pleased that you also enjoyed your breakfast; I will pass on your comments to the breakfast staff. Thank you again for you review and I will look forward to welcoming you to the hotel on your third visit.
Darlington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

We have just returned from a 1 night stay at this hotel and whilst overall it was nice there were a few niggly points. The hotel is quite old and definitely needs some money spending on it. There were some works going on in the hotel during a stay but didn't affect us at all.

We picked this hotel for it's central location and we were attending a function nearby. We needed a quick turnaround but to our dismay we only had very tepid water making a shower a quite unpleasant. The receptionist,although very pleasant, couldn't help, so a quick splash in the sink was the only available option in the time that we had!!. On check out the next morning we were offered a discount but would rather have had the hot water for a shower!!

We were room only and paid extra for breakfast. We went down about 40 mins before it was due to close and helped ourselves to the hot buffet which was very nice. Other people arriving after us ordered from the menu as the buffet had been shut and were offered quite a few items that hadn't been available on the buffet!!

The redeeming factor of the hotel is the staff. Very helpful and pleasant throughout.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Sandra,

Thank you for your review, I am glad that you had a pleasant stay and found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment so some of our rooms are still waiting to be done. This is probably why you saw work going on during your stay. As for the water issues that you encountered during your stay. I cannot apologise enough for this, we were having some issues with the hot water during your stay and our maintenance department were working as hard and as fast as they could to get the water fixed, it was very unfortunate that you were in a rush and it wasn’t fixed when you wanted your shower. When you arrived at breakfast you should have been informed that you could order from the menu that was on your table, I am very sorry that this option was not offered to you as it should have been. Thank you again for your review and I hope that you will visit us again in the near future.