“Decent room, great location but lacking in service”

Crown & Mitre Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We stayed here one night and it was not difficult to find the hotel with sat nav and the location in the downtown is fantastic. However, the issue was getting into the parking area (which is not an automated gate) we had to wait for prolonged periods of time for someone to come out and open the gate to park then to get the car back out again in the morning! Other than the parking situation we found the room & bathroom to be clean and tidy and the breakfast was good too.

Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us in May, aside from the problems with the car park. This was due to a technical problem with our bleep system, which malfunctioned on the date you stayed. This has now been rectified so should you return to the hotel, I am confident that you will not have to wait an unacceptable amount time to get into the car park.

There are newer reviews for Crown & Mitre Hotel

Reviewed June 8, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from our visit to the hotel, which I must say we found it easy to find, once the correct postcode is put in the sat nav. We arrived just after 1 oclock and to our surprise found that our room 109 was ready. This was an executive room in the block adjacent to the hotel. It was very clean and comfy.The hotel is in a good position in Carlisle. We booked this hotel through Wowcher, and this included dinner on one evening. The girls in the restaurant, Lynne was one of the girls, sorry cant remember the other ones name were really friendly and helpful. We did use the pool and the jacuzzi, the pool was like getting into a warm bath very nice, and the hotel provides towels for you to use. All in all we had a lovely stay and if we were in the area again, would definately stay at this hotel again. Many thanks to the staff

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night, as we were going to see a show in Carlisle. While the car park was not the easiest to find, the staff were all helpful, polite and keen to make us welcome. The hotel itself is full of character and centrally located. Our room was cosy and quiet despite there being a large party on line dancers on the night. Breakfast was nice and served in a lovely period room. We didn't get the chance to use the swimming pool but would stay here again.

Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay in May. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. In which case, you will hopefully find the time to enjoy our refurbished Swimming Pool.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Our family stayed here at the weekend for a wedding. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the children were very well catered for. Very convenient for all tourist attractions and shops. We had a great time.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
DCrossley, General Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. Our central location makes the hotel a perfect choice for those wishing to see Carlisle’s attractions. I hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to Carlisle.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

My huisband and I and ten friends were on a weekend break at The Crown & Mitre, in Carlisle early May. The location of the hotel is in the town centre. We were on a half-board basis. The food was good and the staff very helpful. There's a car park at the back of the hotel.

We had an enjoyable stay. The only thing that I didn't like was the small room that a double bed was put in. Unfortunately, my side of the bed was against the wall. A member of staff assured me that room 209 is a double bedroom. Our friends all had larger rooms and we paid the same as them. As we only used the room for sleeping, I didn't complain.

I would recommend this hotel for families and couples. Take swimwear, there's a fabulous swimming pool in the hotel!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post such kind comments regarding your stay in May. I am delighted that yourself and your group of friends enjoyed your time at the hotel, especially our Swimming Pool and Peace and Plenty Restaurant. I apologize that you did not find your room to be adequate, particularly in comparison to the larger rooms your friends enjoyed.

Should your group choose to visit the hotel in the future, please make our reception team aware that you would prefer an alternative room and I am confident they will do their best to accommodate your request.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed at the hotel after purchasing a so called 'wowcher', which wasn't the best experiance - but in fairness the general manager and I did reach a compromise and he then followed through with the ideal solution.

We stayed in a so called executive room that was in a separate building from the main hotel (which isn't a problem, although noisy as it was above a bar). However all that I can say is that the room was very tired and 'chinsey' this certainly wasn't like the two photos of rooms on the website with elegant cleans lines that I have come to expect from executive rooms (and even standard rooms) in the leading hotel chains.

We had a meal included within our package which I must say was very nice with a lovely cut of sirloin steak cooked just as requested. Breakfast was pleasant.

The main hotel was nice and quite grand with its sweeping staircase. We used the swimming pool and jacuzzi which was nice for a few lengths and relax - the lockers didn't work so leave any valuables, but saying that we were the only ones in there which was nice!

Parking isn't an issue, just follow the satnav post code on the website and you'll arrive at the gates! Even if the car park is full, double park and leave your keys - no issue!

The staff are excellent at the hotel very polite, happy to help and have a conversation with you - the car park guy was great!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay in May. The rooms in our annex building are all executive rooms and despite some variations, match those depicted on our website. However, we do have a number of Superior Rooms on our website, which are larger and newly refurbished, but these are only available with the Wowcher offer as an upgrade which is subject to a paid supplement.

I am disappointed that you did not find your room to be adequate, as many of our regular guests often request a room in the annex building due to their high standard. It is encouraging to hear though that you found the public areas of the hotel, friendly staff and meal in our Peace and Plenty Restaurant to be of a good standard.

I hope that you will visit the hotel again on your next visit to Carlisle. Should you wish to stay in one of our Superior Rooms in the future, please contact our reception team on 01228525491 who will be happy to advise of our best rate and availability.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Stayed 1 night prior to our Wedding at Gretna,paid an extra £30 to be "upgraded" making it £120 for a very tired,dated,cold room,feel totally ripped off,would not stay here again,you get better rooms at Travelodge!

2  Thank KDB1964
DCrossley, Front Office Manager at Crown & Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment. I am extremely concerned as to the circumstances surrounding your booking. We would not expect guests to pay an upgrade for one of our Executive Rooms for them to not be allocated one, particularly if we were made aware that it was your Wedding the next day. I would be grateful if you could contact me regarding this matter on 01228525491, so that we can attempt to rectify the situation and ensure that it does not happen again.

Kind Regards