“Loved it!”

Hallmark Hotel Carlisle
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last night on business , 3rd time now. Stayed in rm 102. Loved the hotel and can't wait to take my wife there for a stay. Spotlessly clean all over, ( if you need to take photos of a broken sink chain then GET A LIFE!) the building is 150yrs old, if you want a flawless experience, then try a Post House or Holiday Inn maybe hmmm? Ask for a room on the east side of the building then the trains won't disturb you - as next to the station. Lovely food, especially breakfast but missed the little Indian guys this time? Well done Hallmark! Can't wait to return - loved it!

• Stayed: February 2014
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Thank you for your review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us again and that you wish to bring your wife for a visit, we would be delighted to welcome you both back. I will pass on your comments to the team they will be thrilled by them and we very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards

Claire Flint

Write a ReviewReviews (1,184)

Reviewed February 27, 2014

My wife and I had a 2 night stay in this hotel we did it on a Groupon so value for money was superb. On arrival first thing that we noticed was the canopy it had a big bash right at the front and first impression was oh dear but as we went into the building it was very nice and clean and the receptionist was very nice and efficient. The bedroom was very nice, clean and a nice fresh smell is always welcoming, on the down side and this has to do with the bathroom the radiator was really dusty in between the pipes not nice to look at whilst you are on the throne apart from that spotless. Our room number 306 not a room with a view but nice and quiet. Next the food fabulously presented but not to our liking just a bit too rich, the young Irish waitress who was amazing was very embarrassed and brought the duty manager to our table he did offer to replace with something else but we declined but please let me say this was not the fault of the chef it was our taste as all other diners were enjoying their meals. Breakfast on the other hand was fabulous everything you wanted on a self serve basis very nice. We did think the drink was a bit expensive with a mediocre white at £20.00 a bottle and lager at £4.00 per pint however it is at a vantage point right at the station and a good base for getting around, with wonderful staff and clean rooms I think we will be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall, I will pass on your comments to the team especially Louise whom you mention in the restaurant.
My apologies about the pipes I will deal with this immediately as this is not acceptable.
Once again thank you and I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

6 of us stayed at this hotel on sat 22 of feb.first impression from reception was not great,repeating that they were busy(would they like it to be empty?)went to room to unpack,not bad at all,very chic but toilet seat became loose so told reception lady who told me they were very busy but the duty manager would see to it.Now the irish barman was busy but still had time to do his job without telling us that and was very helpfull and polite even thou the rugby international didnt go his way.Up to change for dinner,card didnt work,back down to the"busy" receptionist who also told me the toilet seat had been done.Dinner was great,presented and served really well and then out to sample the Carlilse nightlife.Now i was up 3 times in the night and the first time i twisted to get some toilet paper and the toilet seat popped out,this ended up on the floor,i told reception this and guess what,they were busy! We visited Kirkby Lonsdale on route to Carlisle which was great and them steps were very radical.Gretna green wedding venue was ok,the weather wasnt ,i bet the yanks and orientals love it there with everything scottish to buy.I did enjoy the whisky shop the best thou.On to outlet village were again you can buy anything scottish(and english) but a bit cheaper.Overall i enjoyed my first visit to Carlisle and Scotland,pity about the weather and the lady on reception but the drink flowed,food eaten and best of all,the company was great.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review we very much appreciate your feedback as this allows us to learn and improve our customer care standards.
Sincere apologies about reception this has been dealt with already, but I am gald that overall you enjoyed your stay and visit to the surrounding area.
Thank you once again and I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerly

Reviewed February 24, 2014

My boyfriends dad got us a buyagift for Christmas and this was one of the options. The hotel was ok, comfy bed and clean. The room was a bit on the small side as well as the bathroom. There was complementary parking which was ideal and if you are getting the train it's right beside. We were on the side of the train station and I couldn't hear a thing at night which was great. A little added touch was the towel radiator in the bathroom made coming out the hot shower more bearable. We had dinner on our first night which was fine, nothing fancy! The waitress did take our bread and dipping oils away before we had finished though which I thought was quite rude, also we weren't advised what we got with out buyagift ie. 2 or 3 course meal, luckily I asked. Breakfast was much better as it was a buffet. I have looked at the prices and don't think I would pay them to stay there.

Stayed: February 2014

Thank you for your review we very much appreciate your feedback as we can use your comments to train the staff and improve on our standard of customer care.
My sincere apologies about the waitress this will be dealt with immediately.
Thank you once again and I do hope that you will return to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Had a pleasant stay in this hotel staff very friendly, the meal was very nice as was the. The room overlooked the courts at the front of hotel nice room with lots of space, we would stay here again when we go back to Carlisle.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Thank you for your nice review very glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Well first of all when we were arrived we were rudely told to go away by reception because our room wasn't ready even though it says "room ready from 2pm".. Room was lovely.. Very modern and clean apart from the bathroom that needs to be updated. On our first night we went for our 2 course meal which I had as part of our groupon deal, food was absolutely beautiful but service of staff put a negative atmosphere on our visit.. Please be aware if u order steak and sea food there is an extra charge (supplement) which we weren't told about which I was unhappy about.. Complained to reception they said they would sort something out and call our room and no reply all night so we went down and asked where the girl on the desk felt the need to argue with us saying it said it on the menu which it did but was in very very small print but her attitude towards ,e because I was younger than her was very rude and disgusting which I am very unhappy about .. Had a lovely time here for the weekend and the only 3 members of staff who wernt miserable were Brian at the bar and the 2 breakfast waiters on 24th feb called Calum and Sharon which made me and my boyfriends stay a bit more enjoyable regardless of the miserable staff.. I think you need a recruitment day to be honest. Nice bowling alley about a 15min from hotel and also shops, nandos and vue cinema 5minute walk away, lovely location and hotel is right next to rail station no need for taxis, buses, cars ..

Room Tip: It's an extra £15 a nigh for an executive room they are very spacious compared to the other room...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review my sincere apologies about the issues encountered and I have responded to you directly via e mail.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Having left Carlisle two years ago to live elsewhere, we thought we would try this hotel when visiting friends, as we knew it was central and seemed to have a good reputation.
The room was clean enough, and the facilities were fine, and had a lovely breakfast on the Sunday morning.
However, if you are going to stay on a Friday or Saturday night, I recommend that you request a room away from the rear of Botchergate, where the bars are. Our room was immediately opposite Lloyds Bar, and the noise from the music was shocking. I really can't understand why the hotel has not tried to rectify this, or do they just expect guests to put up with it? I rang reception at 12.30am to try and get moved, but was dealt with in an off hand way as if i was causing a huge issue. Would not stop there again unless the hotel could guarantee a room away from Collier Lane - shame as I was led to believe this was the closest thing Carlisle had to a 4 star hotel (not on this evidence though)

1  Thank thedigger294
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank you for your review and my sincere apologies that you have been disturbed due to outside noise. Being in the City Centre this is to be expected, however it seems the levels that you experienced are unacceptable. The Night Team have already reported this to me and on the night in question they did log a complaint with the bar whom was responsible. I have since followed this up with a call to the EHO for them to look into further.
The Hotel does not have double glazing due to the listed windows but we are currently trialling some new secondary glazing which will cut down on any noise issues in the future.
Apologies again that you have been disturbed as we obviously wish all our guests to leave happy and rested and we have failed on this occasion.
Hopefully you will give us and opportunity I the future to redeem ourselves.