“Big room, teeny weeny bathroom”

Hallmark Hotel Carlisle
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed with my 2 daughters for a mid week getaway, the hotel itself is nice, although 1 tiny set of toiletries between 3 of us was a challenge but perhaps it matched the size of the teeny weeny bathroom which was miniscule compared with the room size.

We had a fairly nice stay, I do feel it's quite expensive for the price in comparison to some hotels we've stayed in, if you stayed for 2 weeks it's more expensive than a 2 week holiday to Gran Canaria including flights!

1  Thank MandyCharlton
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thank you for your review we very much appreciate it and I will pass on your nice comments to the team.
My apologies about the toiletries I will pick this up with the Head Housekeeper, the standard is one set between 2 persons however, this should have been increased if we were aware that 3 adults were staying in the room so my apologies again for this.
The sizes of the bathrooms vary in shape and size as do the rooms due to the nature of the building, the room that you were allocated was down to the size of the bedroom due to being 3 in the room it was one of the only rooms that would have accommodated the size of your party as we do not have family rooms.
Thank you once again and I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Do be put off by the walk past the bins in Collier lane as it does not get much better. We booked to stay here for 2 nights dinner, bed and breakfast but only stayed 1 night as place was terrible.
We also (as a previous poster) had a double executive room (111) and the room was so dark, horrible beige walls and a purple bedspread from the 70's and furniture to match . Toilet did flush once but do not use again for at least an hour. Shower was very slow, running around the bath trying to get wet from the dribble was 'fun'.
The restaurant staff were ok but the food at dinner was bland and not a lot of it. Prawn cocktail had a handfull of frozen tasteless prawns and the belly pork was all fat, crackling and tough. Wife had the Cajun Salmon salad, which was a broiled piece of salmom covered in half an inch of cajun season and flashed through the oven, salad was 2 bits of lettuce with a cherry tomatoe and 2 small new potatoes. Signed for it at the end and bill would have been £40 had we not been half board, not worth £20.

Breakfast was just ok, but we had already decided to call it a day and go home after doing a little shopping. Knowing this I asked the receptionist if we could have lunch that day instead of dinner (Surely the could not ruin a sandwich) and was told quite firmly NO, if you booked dinner you have to have dinner. I did not even bother to argue.

RECCOMENDATION: Stay elsewhere preferably the Crown and Mitre, much nicer place altogether and probably cheaper.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!!!!!
1  Thank Etherlycc
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Thank you for your review my sincere apologies for the issues you encountered during your stay. I know that Gamma my Reservations Manager has already spoken with you directly and assured you that the issues will be dealt with which they will, I can only apologise once again.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed here last night,16,08,13.Victorian building, with victorian plumbing.Toilet takes forever to fill again once flushed, and hardly any water pressure from taps.Bedroom furniture very dated also.We booked a double executive room, we got put in room 110, and if thats an executive room, im glad we didnt go for a standard one.Had a lovely view of a train station roof from our window.Lighting in the bedroom is just ridiculous.A candle would be brighter.Reception is very slow, bar prices are very high.As we were only staying one night, we just got on with it.Hotel has a great location, and the breakfast, I have to say, was really nice.Plenty of good bars close to hand, and the city itself is very nice.Would go back to Carlisle, just not to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for your review we very much appreciate it, your feedback allows up to continually improve on the service and standards given to our guests. My apologies about the toilet and lighting in the room, the toilet has been checked this morning and it takes approximately 1 minute to re fill which is acceptable, we do have a water reducing system in the cistern of each toilet which is part of our Green Management programme as are the energy savings light bulbs in all the bedrooms, hence he rooms being a little darker initially, whilst the lights warm up. Thank you for your kind comments about breakfast this is nice to hear and I will pass this onto the Head Chef and breakfast team. Apologies if you found reception slower than you would expect, I will pass this onto the Reception Manager and she in turn will speak with the team. Once again my apologies and we would sincerely hope that you would consider coming back to the hotel in the future and experiencing what our regular guests have come to return for week after week.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

After parking in the car park do not be put off by the walk up Collier Lane to the front of the hotel. This is as bad as it gets.
Stayed here many years ago when it was the Station Hotel......here is an example of how to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Reception is modern with a spacious bar off. Reception was extremely efficient even though the room was not ready , we were early.
The rooms are average size but very well decorated and well presented, free Wi Fi. Bed was very comfortable. There is no air conditioning so this room (on the first floor) was a little stuffy even with the window open.
Breakfast was average but became average + because of the excellent service from Lorna and the other girl (sorry I didn't get the name). They were just excellent but not intrusive. They had the knack of appearing just as you needed them.
Dinner....ate out in town on the first night but a distinct lack of good eateries in central Carlisle. Ate in on the second night and this was a real experience. Started with drinks in the bar and that was where the really good service started. A young bar man from Whitehaven who made you feel welcome and actually knew how to smile....what a change from the norm in the U.K. then onto dinner. The same room as breakfast but changed completely by the change in lighting. The same two girls as at breakfast and they had lost non of their enthusiasm as the day had worn on. Excellent service. The menu was not very exciting but adequate. This was more than made up for by superb quality of the food. My wife commented that it was the best main course she had had in an age. Very reasonably priced. Then back to the bar for liquor coffees to be greeted in the same friendly but not over the top manner. The coffees were extremely well made.
Check was simple and swift.
Will not hesitate to book this hotel again.

Room Tip: We have only stayed the once but our room was 102 and was stuffy...maybe the higher floors would be...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your lovely review always nice to hear when out guests have enjoyed themselves with us. I was thrilled by your comments about the staff especially Laura she is a new member of the team and will be so happy when I pass these comments onto her.
Thank you once again and we very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed here on a lovely Tuesday evening in August. The hotel has a nice appearance, with a modern feel at the entrance. It’s in a good location and the car park is handy. The receptionist wasn’t in the best of moods it seemed but not unfriendly just maybe a little busy. So we asked the bar man for a map of the city, he relied that they were behind reception and went back to his iphone. The downside on our visit was the room. Most of the area's away from the hotel lobby were a little shabby and our room was no exception. It was a little tired and worn around the edges and unfortunately dirty/dusty in places. Now I appreciate that the hotel is of a certain age but there are no excuses for some things (even the cups were dirty). The view wasn’t great either, a back alley and bins (which kept us awake early evening with the sound of chatting and smashing glass) we needed the window open as the room was so hot (no aircon) but the noise and the kitchen staff from the restaurant across the way peering in the room made us suffer the heat. I understand that not all rooms are going to be great or have the best view but it wasn’t cheap and we were told by a staff member that the hotel was only at 50% occupancy so why put us in the "bin" room???
Breakfast was really nice, one of the best I’ve had in a while and Carlisle is a lovely town and base to explore the lakes.

1  Thank durhamborntrveler

Many thanks for your review and my sincere apologies for the issues that you encountered. These will be looked into immediately by myself and appropriate actions taken to ensure that there can be no repeat of these in the future.
I am shocked by your comments regarding the 2 members of staff as you will see from numerous other reviews, this is not what we are used to hearing and I will deal with the two people personally.
Regarding the rooms, they have all been through a re decoration programme and are continually being upgraded, I will speak with the Head Housekeeper regarding your comments and again these will be dealt with as they are not our usual standard.
Your comment regarding the occupancy has thrown me a little as I have been through Augusts business and we have been near enough full every Tuesday evening as this is one of our busiest nights. The room that you booked was a standard double and that is what was allocated we do have executive rooms available at a small supplement charge which over look the front of the hotel, being in the City Centre you will appreciate that views can be limited unlike hotels overlooking a seafront or country side.
Once again thank you for your review and again my apologies, we do sincerely hope that you would re consider giving the hotel another chance in the future.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

First time in Carlisle for us, and we did the race package for Carlisle races with the hotel, which is fantastic value for money. The hotel is right next door to the station, and a short walk into town to all the bars etc. The staff were very friendly & helpful, room was fab, and very clean, and a great breakfast. Even though the room was right next door to the station, we thought it was very quiet - would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review and we are extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that you enjoyed the races and had some luck, hopefully better than me, when I go I always seem to bet on the horses that don’t want to run!

Hopefully we will see you again in the future.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We visit Carlisle on a regular basis and have usually stayed at Premier Inns. We needed to visit on two occasions recently to move our mother into sheltered accommodation. Whilst Premier Inn is really good we have never got a room rate at their fantastic from £29 so we decided to look around and came up with the Hallmark at a similar rate except that it also included breakfast. It had really good reviews on here so although we knew the hotel from a bygone age (used to be the County) we had no idea it had been upgraded to the extent it has.

We had a fantastic room at the front - spacious, airy and tastefully decorated - all you could expect for an enjoyable stay. The staff in reception and in the dining room were really friendly and helpful and the breakfast quality was really good with a wide range on offer.

There is limited parking available but to be honest we only once had to pay to stay in the rail car park next door but the hotel discounts the cost so it was no big deal particularly considering it is a city centre hotel. It is very handy for a wide range of shops,restaurants and bars.

All in all very good value for money and if we can continue to get such good rates compared to Premier Inn we will continue to stay there on our return visits.

Room Tip: We like the front rooms overlooking the station square but be aware if you sleep with the windows op...
1  Thank shuggie12

What a lovely review thank you so much I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on all your comments to the team and I am extremely pleased that you will use us again in the future now, when staying in Carlisle.