“Lovely room and great breakfast”

Hallmark Hotel Carlisle
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stopped here for 2 nights the night before my wedding and my wedding night. The suite room was lovely and big and overlooked the citadel and station which was great and not too much noise as you would expect. Only issue really was the bathroom, it could be a little more special with it being in a suite/executive room but that is just a personal opinion and not one to put anyone off. Bed was so comfy and didnt want to get out of it :-) The breakfast room was lovely and the buffet style breakfast was hot and fresh with other options available. The waitress brought us fresh coffee and tea which was a nice touch. There is a car park to the rear of the hotel. Great location if you are on holiday or travelling from the train station. Only thing and this is totally minor, with it being our wedding night/morning there was no mention of it from the staff or any special touches which you would get in a more independent hotel and these are the things that makes a person book again- a more personal touch.

Room Tip: pay a little extra for a suite/executive room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carlislelass33
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review and I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Congratulations on your Wedding Day, I do hope that you all had an amazing time. My apologies you felt that there was no personal touch, I normally am told if we are aware, about any Brides being in the hotel even if they are not being married with us here at the hotel, this must have slipped the net and I will look into this immediately as I can assure you had myself and the staff being aware, we would have noted this in someway in your room etc for you.
Thank you again and I do hope that you will return maybe for your first anniversary that would be wonderful to welcome you back then if not before.

Claire Flint

Write a ReviewReviews (1,184)

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We had walked along Hadrians Wall Path and after our 5th day arrived in Carlisle. We were looking forward to staying in a nice hotel but were very disappointed to find that there was no air conditioning (and it was one of the hottest days of the year!!), room small, bathroom grubby- shower not working and receptionist who really couldn't care!! We would not recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your review as this helps us to improve on the services already give to our guests. My apologies regarding reception I can assure you this is not the normal standard as you will see from many of the other positive reviews. I will look into this immediately. The hotel does not have air conditioning unfortunately as the building is listed this is not easy to install not to mention the costs involved. Fans are available for your room and I would hope had this been requested this was met for you.
My apologies once again and I do hope that sometime in the future you would consider returning to experience what our regular returning guests have come to enjoy with whilst staying with us.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here for one night one very hot Friday in July. The hotel is located in the centre of Carlisle and as the weather was very warm there were lots of people outside enjoying a sunny Friday evening hence there was some noise- however -maybe because I had climbed Ben Nevis that day- I did get a good nights sleep despite leaving the window open. The staff in the hotel could not have been more helpful - nothing was too much bother and the room was clean and spacious and they even gave us an extra bed so the three "girls" (all approaching 50) could share - so that shows how spacious the twin room was. The bathroom too was huge. We ate dinner in the hotel - in the bar area because the restaurant was full. It was good if a bit limited in choice. Breakfast the next morning was really really good. Definitely worth a look if you want to be based in the centre of things

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your wonderful review, we are thrilled that you all enjoyed your stay and I will pass on your comments to the team. Huge congratulations for climbing Ben Nevis something I am sure I would never be able to achieve.
Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you and your friends again in the future maybe next time on a shopping trip not a climbing trip!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

stayed 1 night while going to sands centre for an event.
nice first impressions,parking free if you can get a slot but this made you realise you did not want a room at the back of the hotel looking out onto railway car park or smelly back lanes.
Reception welcoming,bar area looked nice and cosy
we asked for a front room and were given 324,it was ok only small but clean been modernised up a bit though bathroom only average.
2 large windows one looking down to train station entrance other up the shopping street so a decent room
bit noisy at night and this was only Thursday night and busy from early in the morning.
Breakfast buffet good but hot food only luke warm at best,should have complained,someone did and they turned the heaters up a bit.
overall always wanted to stay here but prob would not bother goin back

Room Tip: choose a front room for definite
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback we very much appreciate it as its gives us the opportunity to improve on the standards given to our guests. My apologies about the breakfast we have since looked into this and replaced the heat lamps as we felt this was causing the issues that you mentioned.
I am sorry that feel that you would not bother to return that is a shame we have numerous regular guests that come to us a regular basis for events in the town centre.
Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I would just like to thank the hotel manager Simon and his staff for our recent stay in the hotel. We enjoyed a good week there going out for days with Railtrail but on the final day my husband was taken ill and had to be taken into the Cumberland Infirmary. Simon was a great help and assured us we could stay on as long as needed. The staff were also very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Many thanks, Sue (and Allan) Briggs

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sue B
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review I am so glad that you enjoyed your week, I am only sad that it ended as it did but I do hope that your husband is feeling much better now.
I will pass on your thanks to Simon and the rest of the team they will thrilled by your comments and I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

According to the hotel's website, this is a "stunning luxury hotel". Utter nonsense. It's a perfectly functional, slightly dingy place. Obviously money has been spent on the bedrooms in recent years, but they're comfortable rather than in any way "luxury" (aircon? horrid bathroom?). Location is convenient for the station. Staff are friendly and breakfast was good. But it really was nowhere near the standard that the hotel's own website would claim.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review and constructive feedback, We will take this on board as we do with all our customers comments. Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the staff I will ensure that they are aware of this.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

The hotel is located at the side of the railway station, and parking is restricted. However parking is available at the station and a nearby NCP car park. It is well situated for visiting Carlise.
The hotel staff were extremely friendly and most helpful and all those I met had a smile on their faces.
The hotel is clean and tidy and is wonderfully old fashioned in decor.My room was more than adequate and well laid out, and with a large tv. There is no air conditioning.
The bar prices were reasonable. The bar area was comfortable and pleasant to sit in. The breakfast was a disappointment in that it was not as hot as it should have been. I did not eat in the restaurant because sandwiches were provided for the meeting I attended. The sandwiches etc were very good and were plentiful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your lovely review and comments especially about the staff, I will ensure that they are all aware of them. I will pass on your comments to Head Chef regarding the food he will be thrilled by these comments too.
Look forward to seeing you again in the future maybe on pleasure instead of business next time!