“Done the job of average hotel”

Hallmark Hotel Carlisle
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Reviewed July 15, 2013

stayed 1 night while going to sands centre for an event.
nice first impressions,parking free if you can get a slot but this made you realise you did not want a room at the back of the hotel looking out onto railway car park or smelly back lanes.
Reception welcoming,bar area looked nice and cosy
we asked for a front room and were given 324,it was ok only small but clean been modernised up a bit though bathroom only average.
2 large windows one looking down to train station entrance other up the shopping street so a decent room
bit noisy at night and this was only Thursday night and busy from early in the morning.
Breakfast buffet good but hot food only luke warm at best,should have complained,someone did and they turned the heaters up a bit.
overall always wanted to stay here but prob would not bother goin back

Room Tip: choose a front room for definite
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Thank you for your feedback we very much appreciate it as its gives us the opportunity to improve on the standards given to our guests. My apologies about the breakfast we have since looked into this and replaced the heat lamps as we felt this was causing the issues that you mentioned.
I am sorry that feel that you would not bother to return that is a shame we have numerous regular guests that come to us a regular basis for events in the town centre.
Thank you again for your comments.

Claire Flint

Write a ReviewReviews (1,184)

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I would just like to thank the hotel manager Simon and his staff for our recent stay in the hotel. We enjoyed a good week there going out for days with Railtrail but on the final day my husband was taken ill and had to be taken into the Cumberland Infirmary. Simon was a great help and assured us we could stay on as long as needed. The staff were also very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. Many thanks, Sue (and Allan) Briggs

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sue B
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review I am so glad that you enjoyed your week, I am only sad that it ended as it did but I do hope that your husband is feeling much better now.
I will pass on your thanks to Simon and the rest of the team they will thrilled by your comments and I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

According to the hotel's website, this is a "stunning luxury hotel". Utter nonsense. It's a perfectly functional, slightly dingy place. Obviously money has been spent on the bedrooms in recent years, but they're comfortable rather than in any way "luxury" (aircon? horrid bathroom?). Location is convenient for the station. Staff are friendly and breakfast was good. But it really was nowhere near the standard that the hotel's own website would claim.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review and constructive feedback, We will take this on board as we do with all our customers comments. Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the staff I will ensure that they are aware of this.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

The hotel is located at the side of the railway station, and parking is restricted. However parking is available at the station and a nearby NCP car park. It is well situated for visiting Carlise.
The hotel staff were extremely friendly and most helpful and all those I met had a smile on their faces.
The hotel is clean and tidy and is wonderfully old fashioned in decor.My room was more than adequate and well laid out, and with a large tv. There is no air conditioning.
The bar prices were reasonable. The bar area was comfortable and pleasant to sit in. The breakfast was a disappointment in that it was not as hot as it should have been. I did not eat in the restaurant because sandwiches were provided for the meeting I attended. The sandwiches etc were very good and were plentiful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your lovely review and comments especially about the staff, I will ensure that they are all aware of them. I will pass on your comments to Head Chef regarding the food he will be thrilled by these comments too.
Look forward to seeing you again in the future maybe on pleasure instead of business next time!

Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Pluses first. Close to the train station and the town. Staff very helpful and friendly clean hotel. Minuses. Small room. Very limited parking with very tight spaces. Breakfast nothing very special - especially given its 4*. No AC. But that's not normally a problem in the UK. I would certainly look elsewhere before booking again

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your review and positive comments I can only apologise for the couple of negative points that you raised. Air Conditioning unfortunately we do not have but as you say this is not normally a problem in the UK, breakfast is a vast array of buffet and most of out guest are very complimentary about the buffet choice and the additional extras that can be ordered at no extra cost. Car parking is limited as we advertise but it is a bonus for us to have a car park being in the city centre.
I am glad that the staff did make you feel welcome and that they were friendly through out I will ensure that they are aware of your comments.
Once again my apologies I do hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed at the Hallmark a few months ago, a group business booking of 13.

The location is first class not only for ease of access to all of Carlisle’s main amenities but more importantly for us in actually arriving at the hotel as many of us travelled by train.

Ate in the main restaurant and the food and service was excellent. Breakfast was good and the coffee very good quality.

No issues of noise at all from trains or night life, albeit our stay was early week days.

Yes I accept that some of the 13 rooms were better appointed than others, but it is befitting for a building of this type and it is nice to experience something different to the normal well appointed but corporately dull main chain hotels, which look no different where ever you stay in the country.

Booking was a breeze despite the number of guests and the requirements that we needed. Gemma the reservations manager was an absolute star, extremely professional, efficient and a pleasure to deal with.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your lovely review and great comments I am pleased to hear that your group enjoyed their stay with us.
Especially thrilled by your comments regarding Gemma and I agree she is a little star and I will pass on your thanks to her.
Look forward to seeing you and your group again in the future.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on 18/2/13 after making a reservation for a superior room last minute via booking.com as a treat to take my partner to see Blood Brothers at the sands centre.

Upon check in the receptionist had no record of our booking and although it did take a while to get the issue sorted it was rectified and we did get checked in.

I found the hotel to be pretty good value option with a great central location, really good secure free parking facilities and really comfortable contemporary modern rooms.
(I have noticed the previous reviewer stated his bathrooms was dated, our bathroom suite was champagne in colour which I understand may not be the most stylish in appearance but I could not fault the actual quality, practicality or cleanliness of our bathroom)

The hotel also provided free wi-fi with a good signal strength available in the bedroom.
The décor and general appearance of the hotel was really good, fresh modern and very clean from all public areas to the bedroom itself.

I did provide a review on the booking.com site that generated a low rating of 6.7% and although I stand by my initial comments feel this is actually a harsher mark than I wished to provide.

In general the service levels/friendliness of the staff was in fact a reasonable standard, with the housekeeping department standing out as particularly friendly.

I was incredibly disappointed with service levels provided in the cocktail style bar on the afternoon of our stay however. I did find the bar service very poor with a coldness and unfriendliness that did in fact lead to us finding an alternative bar to have pre show drinks & dinner in that afternoon.

Following my earlier feedback: I received an almost immediate response / acknowledgement from Claire Flint (the General Manager) thanking me for the feedback and apologising for the poor service. I have since received two (much appreciated) letters of apology from Claire.

I am also a hotel manager with 16 years’ experience and fully understand every employee may have the occasional unfortunate day and hope this review reads as a fair balanced update.

To summarise: The Hallmark is a perfectly located, comfortable & stylish hotel that is good value for money. I also now feel certain that the Hallmark hotel is well managed and tries to ensure every guest has an enjoyable and comfortable stay & I would/will stay again.

Room Tip: Book direct with the hotel or via their own website rather than using booking agents !
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IL0veH0tels
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Thank you for constructive and kind review we very much apprecaite it. Again my apologies about the bar service as you know this has been dealt with by myself already.
I will ensure that I pass on all your positive feedback to the team espcially the housekeeping department and we do hope to see you again very soon.