“Hallmark Hotel, Carlise”

Hallmark Hotel Carlisle
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The hotel is located at the side of the railway station, and parking is restricted. However parking is available at the station and a nearby NCP car park. It is well situated for visiting Carlise.
The hotel staff were extremely friendly and most helpful and all those I met had a smile on their faces.
The hotel is clean and tidy and is wonderfully old fashioned in decor.My room was more than adequate and well laid out, and with a large tv. There is no air conditioning.
The bar prices were reasonable. The bar area was comfortable and pleasant to sit in. The breakfast was a disappointment in that it was not as hot as it should have been. I did not eat in the restaurant because sandwiches were provided for the meeting I attended. The sandwiches etc were very good and were plentiful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review and comments especially about the staff, I will ensure that they are all aware of them. I will pass on your comments to Head Chef regarding the food he will be thrilled by these comments too.
Look forward to seeing you again in the future maybe on pleasure instead of business next time!

Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Pluses first. Close to the train station and the town. Staff very helpful and friendly clean hotel. Minuses. Small room. Very limited parking with very tight spaces. Breakfast nothing very special - especially given its 4*. No AC. But that's not normally a problem in the UK. I would certainly look elsewhere before booking again

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your review and positive comments I can only apologise for the couple of negative points that you raised. Air Conditioning unfortunately we do not have but as you say this is not normally a problem in the UK, breakfast is a vast array of buffet and most of out guest are very complimentary about the buffet choice and the additional extras that can be ordered at no extra cost. Car parking is limited as we advertise but it is a bonus for us to have a car park being in the city centre.
I am glad that the staff did make you feel welcome and that they were friendly through out I will ensure that they are aware of your comments.
Once again my apologies I do hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed at the Hallmark a few months ago, a group business booking of 13.

The location is first class not only for ease of access to all of Carlisle’s main amenities but more importantly for us in actually arriving at the hotel as many of us travelled by train.

Ate in the main restaurant and the food and service was excellent. Breakfast was good and the coffee very good quality.

No issues of noise at all from trains or night life, albeit our stay was early week days.

Yes I accept that some of the 13 rooms were better appointed than others, but it is befitting for a building of this type and it is nice to experience something different to the normal well appointed but corporately dull main chain hotels, which look no different where ever you stay in the country.

Booking was a breeze despite the number of guests and the requirements that we needed. Gemma the reservations manager was an absolute star, extremely professional, efficient and a pleasure to deal with.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your lovely review and great comments I am pleased to hear that your group enjoyed their stay with us.
Especially thrilled by your comments regarding Gemma and I agree she is a little star and I will pass on your thanks to her.
Look forward to seeing you and your group again in the future.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on 18/2/13 after making a reservation for a superior room last minute via booking.com as a treat to take my partner to see Blood Brothers at the sands centre.

Upon check in the receptionist had no record of our booking and although it did take a while to get the issue sorted it was rectified and we did get checked in.

I found the hotel to be pretty good value option with a great central location, really good secure free parking facilities and really comfortable contemporary modern rooms.
(I have noticed the previous reviewer stated his bathrooms was dated, our bathroom suite was champagne in colour which I understand may not be the most stylish in appearance but I could not fault the actual quality, practicality or cleanliness of our bathroom)

The hotel also provided free wi-fi with a good signal strength available in the bedroom.
The décor and general appearance of the hotel was really good, fresh modern and very clean from all public areas to the bedroom itself.

I did provide a review on the booking.com site that generated a low rating of 6.7% and although I stand by my initial comments feel this is actually a harsher mark than I wished to provide.

In general the service levels/friendliness of the staff was in fact a reasonable standard, with the housekeeping department standing out as particularly friendly.

I was incredibly disappointed with service levels provided in the cocktail style bar on the afternoon of our stay however. I did find the bar service very poor with a coldness and unfriendliness that did in fact lead to us finding an alternative bar to have pre show drinks & dinner in that afternoon.

Following my earlier feedback: I received an almost immediate response / acknowledgement from Claire Flint (the General Manager) thanking me for the feedback and apologising for the poor service. I have since received two (much appreciated) letters of apology from Claire.

I am also a hotel manager with 16 years’ experience and fully understand every employee may have the occasional unfortunate day and hope this review reads as a fair balanced update.

To summarise: The Hallmark is a perfectly located, comfortable & stylish hotel that is good value for money. I also now feel certain that the Hallmark hotel is well managed and tries to ensure every guest has an enjoyable and comfortable stay & I would/will stay again.

Room Tip: Book direct with the hotel or via their own website rather than using booking agents !
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IL0veH0tels
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Thank you for constructive and kind review we very much apprecaite it. Again my apologies about the bar service as you know this has been dealt with by myself already.
I will ensure that I pass on all your positive feedback to the team espcially the housekeeping department and we do hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

You can't knock the location of this hotel - it's so close to the railway station you literally fall into it. Beyond that I find it hard to say anything positive about it.

This place is described on the Hallmark website as, "an elegant Victorian building inside which you’ll find a stunning luxury hotel". I'll give them the "elegant Victorian" but stunning and luxury? You might think this is the case when you see the reception area or the bar but get upstairs and you might have to do a double take. The gloss on the bedrooms might be 21st century but the bathrooms are very much 1970s! Ours was a faded avacado colour and featured a hole in the sink that looked like it had been repaired with sealant.

Our room was very dark and overlooked a narrow road between two building, very little natural light getting in. The window frames might have been the original Victorian fitting - they were certainly rotten enough to be!

There's no air conditioning - I can't really fault it for that, many budget hotels don't have it ..... but then how many budget hotels call themselves 4 star? I could live without the A/C if I had been able to open the window a decent amount but one would only open about 6 inches, the other was painted shut! It was very hot in the room and when we had to shut the window at 11pm to try and deaden the noise from the night club up the road, it just got worse!

So, having mentioned it, let me tell you about the noise. The pub/night club a few doors up started playing loud music at about 9.30pm. It went on until about 1am - when it was followed by a hour of bottles being thrown into the bins by the back door. This was followed by the staff leaving amidst loud conversations and car doors being slammed. I appreciate that none of this is the fault of the hotel but surely they must be aware of the noise and could do something to make life better for their customers?

The food was OK, and the staff were mostly pleasant, apart from a very surly older woman supervising our breakfast service. Perhaps she could be told to smile from time to time?

Room Tip: Walk passed it .... go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cowboy_Kev
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you for your very constructive review although we do find some of the comments very unjust and unfair.
The hotel is set in a Victorian building with a contemporary decor inside. The hotel has been refurbished over the past few years the last stage finishing early last year. On undertaking the refurbishment it was decided that the champagne bathroom suites which were are very high quality would not be replaced but the rest of the bathroom has be re done. Obviously things can happen such as guests dropping things into the sinks causing cracks and holes and these then need to be replaced which is the case in this instant. The new sink is on order.
The window frames are original sash windows which you will appreciate take time and effort to look after, and the rooms vary in shape and location due to the nature of the building and location and not every room has a view of the city as is the case in all hotels. None of the rooms have air conditioning this does not make us a budget hotel, there is no air conditioning due to the nature of the building and cost implications to install this. The windows only open 6 inches for Health and Safety reason this is law now and all windows over ground level must be fitted with restrictors.
Some level of noise is to be expected in a city centre hotel however the throwing of bottles from the neighbouring pub is not, and I will speak with the Manager about this as there are restrictions as to when this can be done and clearly these have not been followed.
Surly members of staff are not something we hear often, we normally receive nothing but praise about the staff so I will look into this immediately and find out who it was and deal with that person. I would think that is was not intentional in any way and that person will be devastated by the comments when I bring it to their attention.
Thank you again.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Me and the husband came here on a Saturday night to celebrate our anniversary. We came with friends. We had a lovely night and would recommend this hotel.

The food was excellent! And would come all the way back just for it! :)

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank gina c
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and especially the food, I will pass on all your comments to the team.
We would love to welcome you back to the hotel and we do hope that can be soon.
Thank you once again.

Regards

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stopped overnight at the Hallmark but now wished it had been a couple of nights at least. Very nice hotel with very friendly staff. Room was comfortable and clean, as was the rest of the hotel. Down part was the walk from the car park to the hotel itself. Street was dirty and full of rubbish bins.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ian C
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely review and I am really glad that you enjoyed your stay and the staff looked after you. I will pass on your comments to all the team.
Apologies about the lane this belongs to the council and we have complained several times regarding the up keep of this, we do on a regular basis ourselves, sweep up the rubbish as we do know that this can effect peoples opinion of us, unfortunately as quick as we clean it, other people dirty it. I will again speak with the council regarding this.
I do hope that you will return to the hotel in the future.