Hallmark Hotel Carlisle
$56
$166
$54
Hotels.com
Cumbria Park Hotel(Carlisle)(Great Value!)
$47
$64
PremierInn.com
$112
1,256 results
All reviewsrailway stationtravelling by trainchristmas partynight portercity centrebit datedevening mealtwin roomstayed for one nightfollowing morningclairecastlerearscotland
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We arrived at the citadel thinking that was our hotel due to the only pics we had seen of the outside. The hotel is actually located opposite the citadel.

We where kept awake until 4am on both nights of our stay due to the booming nightclub music, drunk revellers, taxis, glass collections and bottle bins :(

On our 2nd evening there we got to the hotel to find there where no parking spaces and are told to park on the train station for anywhere up to £12 for the night. I questioned the receptionist about this info not being on the website, she said it is so together we looked as I had my kindle with me.

She didn't find anything on the website that said the hotel has only got parking for 20 cars in a 300 rooms hotel meaning clients must pay to stay on train station car park.

She asked who id booked with and that the parking info WOULD of been on their website so I had a look and NO again nothing about parking on a train station. Next she tells me it will of been on my booking confirmation, now guess what ??? I looked and NO nothing on that either.

Her response then was to tell me if I wanted free parking I could of parked a few streets away and walked it to the hotel. I have 2 debilitating invisible disabilities so not only had she told me to park my car streets away in a strange town, she assumed I'd be able to make it to the hotel.

Her response to my obvious aggravation was "the train station gives hotel customers a 25% discount" totally not the point I replied. It wasn't even about the money it's the fact that on every single website for this hotel it states FREE PARKING when the truth is its free parking for the first 20 cars that make it into the hotel car park, after that you have to park on the train station at cost to yourself with a 25% discount or park your car streets away.

The hotel itself is beautiful and clean. My bedroom was large and spacious with plenty of room BUT the inner window wouldn't close leaving a 10 inch gap where cold air gushed in from the Victorian outer window. There where no plug sockets near the bed, they where all on opposite side of the room.

The bathroom was large, clean and well laid out but COLD as it didn't even have an inner window. The shower was good and powerful BUT the immovable shower head is positioned way to far forwards so when I was stood under it the water it sprayed off me past the glass and all over the floor. This left a HUGE puddle on the floor which had my husband not spotted it I could of slipped and seriously hurt myself.

Also the bath panel at some point has been replaced by board, whoever did it has left 3 of the screw ends exposed and sticking out.

When we where leaving the receptionist enquired about our time at the hotel, we mentioned noise pollution to which she responded "well you have to expect that in a town centre, if you don't want any noise you need to book an executive suite ALL the rooms at the back of the hotel are exposed to the nightclub noise" I don't recall this being mentioned anywhere either !!!!!!

Would we stay there again NO WAY !

We didn't use the pool or fitness centre, we also never ate or drank. This had nothing to do with the hotels standards though. We had decided on eating out when we planned our weekend away.

Room Tip: Like the receptionist said don't want noise pollution pick an executive suite.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Georgielotte
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you for your review I am sorry that you did not enjoy the hotel and posted a fairly disappointing review. My apologies regarding the noise this is unacceptable and the local authorities have been informed and are looking into this matter with the public house concerned.
Regarding the car park, we do state on all our sites Limited Free parking, being in the city centre it is a bonus to have a car park all be it limited for the 70 rooms that we have. I am sorry if you feel that this has not been communicated properly to you we have informed all our third party booking agents of the situation and the alternative arrangements, unfortunately we have no control on the information that your are sent in your confirmation. This will be raised with them yet again.
Regarding the room itself the couple of maintenance points that you have raised will be dealt with immediately, these things often are reliant on our guests giving us feedback.
Once again my apologies and I sincerely hope that you may consider returning to the hotel sometime in the future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Just got home after a lovely stay in Carlisle, The weather was really nice & Carlisle is a Great place to use as a base, managed to get in a couple of trips to the Lakes & also visit hadrians wall had a good shopping day also, The Hallmark was a fantasic experience, everything you could possibly want, & right in the centre of town, Great room, lovely food & lovely friendly staff, who were more than happy to help with directions & Info not only about Carlisle but also about best places to visit in the few days we were there, Directions & Timescales were spot on,Big thank you to the reception staff who helped with this, A special thank you to Keely for a very warm welcome & stress free stay, your a treasure. We will be back very soon I hope & will certainly recommend you to family & friends keep up the good work

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 922patricia535

Thank you for your lovely review I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, I will pass on your thanks to all the team especially Kealy.

We very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and myself stayed at this hotel for two nightson 30/3/13.The hotel and staff were wondreful,food was excellent and statt brilliant.Only complaint was street noise at three o clock in the morning,are there no police officers in carlisle or dont they care.I work in the building trade and iam sure the hotel could find a way around the excuse of the hotel being a listed building.

Room Tip: rooms to the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Many thanks for your review we very much appreciate it and I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall. My apologies for the noise you encountered whilst some noise can be expected staying in a City Centre Hotel, I believe that the levels on this occasion from a neighbouring establishment, were far louder than usual of which I have reported this morning to our local environmental office, who in turn will investigate this further for me.

Once again my apologies and I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Id first like to say i am in the habit of writing reviews on here. And this is the first negitave one. Myself an my boyfriend stayed on the 30th of march in room 106. The room was fantastic. Spacious and modern and spotlessly clean. The downfall was the nightclub across from our room that blared out music from 9pm until 3 in the morning. We complained twice through the night, and one of the staff came up to the room at 2am to agree with us that the noise was ridiculous. Both members of staff were apologetic but told us the hotel was fully booked and they couldnt do anything to help us. So we just had to wait it out. At 3am the music stopped and we just had to listen to the drunks. At 4am it quietened down and we managed to get some sleep. Upon checking out the next morning, we complained again to the reception. Explaining the noise and how we missed our breakfast due to sleeping a bit longer in the morning. We were offered no apology just an explanation about how it was a listed building so they couldn't put in double glazing and how they try to avoid putting people in that end of the hotel when possible. I think its unfair to put anyone in that room without any warning. Especially when your charging full price for a room that you know is not going to be comfortable for your guests. I was also told by the receptionist that the only people I could really complain to was environmental health. Then when we walked away the two receptionists burst out laughing. I think this hotel could have been great but your rude staff and lack of information about the noise levels completely ruined it for us. We will never return to this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank jessietbiscut

Thank you for your review and my apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.
I will respond to you directly via the e mail address that you left upon check out with your feedback.

Your sincerely

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Wanted something close to the station. Couldn't get any closer. Room was pleasant. Food was excellent we had dinner in the restaurant this was all fresh and tasty. Breakfast was nice plenty choice. All the staff were very pleasant and helpfull?

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank cjhbmc

Thank you for your nice review we very much appreciate it and we are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.