“Brill”

Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Brill”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Just got home after a lovely stay in Carlisle, The weather was really nice & Carlisle is a Great place to use as a base, managed to get in a couple of trips to the Lakes & also visit hadrians wall had a good shopping day also, The Hallmark was a fantasic experience, everything you could possibly want, & right in the centre of town, Great room, lovely food & lovely friendly staff, who were more than happy to help with directions & Info not only about Carlisle but also about best places to visit in the few days we were there, Directions & Timescales were spot on,Big thank you to the reception staff who helped with this, A special thank you to Keely for a very warm welcome & stress free stay, your a treasure. We will be back very soon I hope & will certainly recommend you to family & friends keep up the good work

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 922patricia535
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, I will pass on your thanks to all the team especially Kealy.

We very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Claire Flint

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Thai first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and myself stayed at this hotel for two nightson 30/3/13.The hotel and staff were wondreful,food was excellent and statt brilliant.Only complaint was street noise at three o clock in the morning,are there no police officers in carlisle or dont they care.I work in the building trade and iam sure the hotel could find a way around the excuse of the hotel being a listed building.

Room Tip: rooms to the back are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks for your review we very much appreciate it and I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall. My apologies for the noise you encountered whilst some noise can be expected staying in a City Centre Hotel, I believe that the levels on this occasion from a neighbouring establishment, were far louder than usual of which I have reported this morning to our local environmental office, who in turn will investigate this further for me.

Once again my apologies and I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Id first like to say i am in the habit of writing reviews on here. And this is the first negitave one. Myself an my boyfriend stayed on the 30th of march in room 106. The room was fantastic. Spacious and modern and spotlessly clean. The downfall was the nightclub across from our room that blared out music from 9pm until 3 in the morning. We complained twice through the night, and one of the staff came up to the room at 2am to agree with us that the noise was ridiculous. Both members of staff were apologetic but told us the hotel was fully booked and they couldnt do anything to help us. So we just had to wait it out. At 3am the music stopped and we just had to listen to the drunks. At 4am it quietened down and we managed to get some sleep. Upon checking out the next morning, we complained again to the reception. Explaining the noise and how we missed our breakfast due to sleeping a bit longer in the morning. We were offered no apology just an explanation about how it was a listed building so they couldn't put in double glazing and how they try to avoid putting people in that end of the hotel when possible. I think its unfair to put anyone in that room without any warning. Especially when your charging full price for a room that you know is not going to be comfortable for your guests. I was also told by the receptionist that the only people I could really complain to was environmental health. Then when we walked away the two receptionists burst out laughing. I think this hotel could have been great but your rude staff and lack of information about the noise levels completely ruined it for us. We will never return to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank jessietbiscut
Thank you for your review and my apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.
I will respond to you directly via the e mail address that you left upon check out with your feedback.

Your sincerely

Claire Flint

Travelers are raving about these Carlisle hotels

manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Wanted something close to the station. Couldn't get any closer. Room was pleasant. Food was excellent we had dinner in the restaurant this was all fresh and tasty. Breakfast was nice plenty choice. All the staff were very pleasant and helpfull?

1 Thank cjhbmc
Thank you for your nice review we very much appreciate it and we are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Hallmark Hotel is a super place to stay in Carlisle. Next to the railway station and near to the town. Clean rooms, pleasant and helpful staff. My only gripe is the trickle which is supposed to be shower, after a long day or a long journey it is so nice to wash the stress away. On this stay my shower was worse than pathetic, I know there is a bath but I want a proper shower. Hopefully, the owners will start putting this right. It does deserves an excellent rating bar this!

Room Tip: Pay for a 3rd floor executive room. Ask for the rear of the hotel, no street noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review we very much appreciate it. My apologies about the shower we will have this looked at immediately and rectified, we appreciate you brining this to our attention.
Thank you once again and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I was visiting Carlisle on business. It was about 8:00am and I was hungry.
This hotel was the nearest to the railway station, so I called in for breakfast.
The staff were cheerful, friendly and helpful.
The breakfast was typical hotel cuisine which isn't very good and I wasn't disappointed.
The food was barely warm, didn't taste too good, looked as if it had been there overnight, but the coffee was hot.
The cost was reasonable, just under £10.
Would I go again? - yes in an emergency.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments we very much appreciate them as it allows us to act and improve on the service and standards given to our guests.
My apologies that you found the breakfast disappointing, this is not something we hear often we would normally receive high praise for the breakfast that we offer.
We offer a buffet a breakfast so our guests can help themselves to as much as they want from the extensive variety that we offer. I can assure you that the food was not from the night before it is cooked fresh on the morning of service, however we do take your comments on board and these will be relayed to the team and acted upon immediately.
My apologies again and hopefully you will return to the hotel in the future.

Yours sincerely

Darlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed here one night very nice hotel, our room could have done with a bit of TLC just looked tired, main areas of hotel were very nice and the staff were fantastic, we had a bar meal on the night which was very good, the night we stayed was a Saturday and we had a room at the front not a good idea the noise from the street was terrible what with the pubs and night clubs coming out and taxis, not a good nights sleep.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank djgriff
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for your review we very much appreciate it. I was very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall and will pass on your comments to the team. My apologies that you have been disturbed by outside noise this is something we unfortunately can not control. Next time you wish to stay in Carlisle please contact me direct and I will make sure that you are looked after.
Thank you once again.