“breakfast only!”

Hallmark Hotel Carlisle
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I was visiting Carlisle on business. It was about 8:00am and I was hungry.
This hotel was the nearest to the railway station, so I called in for breakfast.
The staff were cheerful, friendly and helpful.
The breakfast was typical hotel cuisine which isn't very good and I wasn't disappointed.
The food was barely warm, didn't taste too good, looked as if it had been there overnight, but the coffee was hot.
The cost was reasonable, just under £10.
Would I go again? - yes in an emergency.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you for your comments we very much appreciate them as it allows us to act and improve on the service and standards given to our guests.
My apologies that you found the breakfast disappointing, this is not something we hear often we would normally receive high praise for the breakfast that we offer.
We offer a buffet a breakfast so our guests can help themselves to as much as they want from the extensive variety that we offer. I can assure you that the food was not from the night before it is cooked fresh on the morning of service, however we do take your comments on board and these will be relayed to the team and acted upon immediately.
My apologies again and hopefully you will return to the hotel in the future.

Yours sincerely

There are newer reviews for Hallmark Hotel Carlisle

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed here one night very nice hotel, our room could have done with a bit of TLC just looked tired, main areas of hotel were very nice and the staff were fantastic, we had a bar meal on the night which was very good, the night we stayed was a Saturday and we had a room at the front not a good idea the noise from the street was terrible what with the pubs and night clubs coming out and taxis, not a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank djgriff
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you for your review we very much appreciate it. I was very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall and will pass on your comments to the team. My apologies that you have been disturbed by outside noise this is something we unfortunately can not control. Next time you wish to stay in Carlisle please contact me direct and I will make sure that you are looked after.
Thank you once again.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed for two nights. Upon booking we requested a quiet room. As we were using a gift voucher ( A Christmas gift from-our Daughter) I was told this was for a standard room, most of which were overlooking the front of the hotel, which I was advised may be noisy due to station car park. I was then advised that there was more chance of a quieter room at the back of the hotel, if we upgraded to an executive room at £15 per night more. Around one week before arrival, I rang the hotel to ask about an upgrade to ensure a quieter room, and was then told £10 per night. An upgrade was arranged and I asked for confirmation, again requesting a quiet room. An email reply from the reservations Manager was received. Upon arrival we were give room 222, which was a small, but nice room. It had two windows, old style, single glazed, both overlooking front of hotel. At first it seemed okay, however, we were awake from midnight until 3.25am, with party revellers from nearby establishments, who all seemed to be either a the taxi rank or waiting for lifts below this room. When enquiring next morning, we found as there was a wedding in the Hotel, that day, all other rooms were booked and hotel was full. So we had to endure another disturbed night. On a positive note the hotel reception, bar and restaurant were modern, clean and welcoming. We found the staff pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was very nice. The room was warm, clean and the bed was comfortable, the rating we gave for sleep quality reflects the noise. There was a watermark stain on the ceiling and the telephone was very dusty, not what we would normally expect for an executive room? The bulb in one of the lamps needed replaced and we left it beside the lamp on the 1st morning, It was still there when we checked out? One final problem was, there was a terrible smell in the bathroom, when we came back to the hotel on the Saturday night. It seemed like the drains, it was awful! Again, as the hotel was full and there was a wedding in full swing, it seemed pointless to tell anyone, Thankfully, it was gone in the a.m. Carlisle itself is a good place to visit. We were fortunate to get a space in the hotel car park. The hotel is in the centre, next to the station, and yes you can expect some noise. However, when you pre- empt this by doing what is necessary to try to ensure a quieter room, including paying an extra £20 and then end up in a room at the front anyway, is frustrating.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Helen514
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you for your review and my sincere apologies for the issues that you have encountered whilst staying with us.
The matters that you have raised are being fully investigated and the appropriate steps taken to ensure there can be no repeat in the future. I have sent you an e mail personally which hopefully you will have received by now reiterating my apologies.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I picked this hotel for an overnight stay and meeting as it was close to the station and all arriving parties were travelling by rail. The rooms are comfortable and well equipped if a little old fashioned - the bar area is welcoming and the breakfast is very good. The staff were all very pleasant and efficent, with a special mention for Claire (Conference co-ordinator) who got me a meeting room at very short notice and was extremely helpful. Will stay again if circumstances allow.

2  Thank Ian R

Thank you for taking the time to post a review we very much appreciate it.
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the team looked after you especially Claire, I will pass on your comments to them all they will be thrilled with them.
Thanks again and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

If you're arriving (or leaving) by train, this is ideal at its actually next to the station in central Carlisle. Downside is fair amount of noise late at night from people gathering in front of hotel (drop-off point etc).
The hotel itself is OK, breakfast fine (with very cheerful and helpful staff), but let down a bit by fairly drab attitude from Receptionist and bar staff. Contrary to the staff doing breakfast, the other staff seemed to have no pleasure being there themselves and no pleasure welcoming their clients. Shame.
Functional for a business stop-over, not inspiring enough for a romantic break in my opinion.

Room Tip: Maybe a room away from the front or station side, from a noise aspect.
1  Thank TheFrog59
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you for your review we very much appreciate you taking the time, however I was most disappointed by your comments regarding a couple members of staff. As you can see by previous reports this is not something we hear often and I would very much appreciate it, if you could contact me direct with some more details regarding your stay to allow me to investigate this matter further.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Great Hotel in the centre of town with free parking.
The staff were extremely welcoming on arrival with my wife and 2 year old twins.
The rooms were of a high standard,plenty of space ,flat screen tv and a high powered shower.
What more do you need.....a view of the Castle was a bonus as were the complimentary biscuits !
Food in the restaurant was excellent and the staff were superb with the twins going through the terrible two's ! Nothing was too much trouble.
A very relaxing stay.
Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank londonianEngland
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review I am glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, and that the staff looked after you and especially the twins.
I will pass on all your feedback to the team they will be delighted to hear it and we look forward to seeing you again at the hotel in the future.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed a couple of nights in Feb - bang next to the railway station and I wish I had travelled by train. The hotel is not opposite Carlisle castle as a recent reviewer stated (its opposte the council office) - the castle is almost a mile away. The hotel is very nice and a pleasant place to stay. The staff are excellent and breakfast plentiful and tasty. A good point is the free wi-fi available throughout the hotel - including all bedrooms. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank FairGB

What a lovely review thank you, I was delighted that you enjoyed our stay as will the staff be when I pass your comments onto them.
Nice to hear you enjoyed your breakfast, a good breakfast sets you up for the day I will pass on your comments to the breakfast Chef.
Thank you once again and we very much look forward to seeing you again in the near future.