“Good location...not much more”

Hallmark Hotel Carlisle
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Budapest, Hungary
“Good location...not much more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

I cant say I am impressed. Although its not a bad hotel at all especially where english hotels are concerned.
The lobby is nicely renovated. The rooms (standard) are very very small. That was the worst part. Toilet is also miniature so it makes cleaning a hassle.
There is a flat screen tv in the room (a normal one would never fit)
Breakfast was ok....typical british.
Location is good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thank you for your review and your feedback which we take on board and will review the points that you have mentioned.

Claire Flint

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Thai first
derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

My family and i spent a whole day at this hotel attending our friends wedding. There they had the ceremony,a meal and an evening reception. The whole thing was lovely! The ceremony was good the food was devine and the service was great too. It was very clean and presented very well. The evening reception was in the ballroom and what a great room it was. Plenty of room and decorated to a very high standard. And thanks again to the great staff who were very polite and extremely helpful

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the wedding and staff looked after you.
I will pass on all your lovely comments to the team and hopefully we will see you again at the hotel.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed for 1 night in mid December and found the hotel met all my requirements. The hotel is located close to Carlisle Station about 40m away but no noise from the trains could be heard from the hotel. I chose to drive on this visit but would use the train next time as so convenient. Friendly greeting at reception. Room was a good size with all the usual niceties. Bathroom spacious and well set out. I dined in the restaurant and the two restaurant staff were fantastic and really put themselves out to make sure all the diners were looked after. The food was good and varied choice. Whilst I was in the restaurant a senior couple were celebrating thier anniversary and the staff made them feel very special. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank awayalottoomuch
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for your great review we very much appreciate it. I will pass on all your comments to the team and we very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

I only stayed for one night and was delighted to find that the hotel really was right next to the railway station. Having said that, the hotel was incredibly quiet and I heard no noise at all. I had a comfortable smallish room with a cozy, warm double bed.
For some reason, I really couldn't make the shower work at all but had a nice hot bath instead. I don't know if it was broken or whether it was just me!!
The staff were incredibly helpful.
The wifi was a little patchy but I managed.
The bar meals seemed to revolve around chips so I ate in the restaurant. I was given a menu typed onto a single sheet of paper but it didn't have any prices on it... I've not come across that before. I had to ask the prices. To be honest, for what I got, I think it was an over priced, ok-but-nothing-special meal. The waitress and restaurant manager were very keen to ensure that I was ok.
The breakfast was largely buffet style with a number of additional items cooked to order. The fresh fruit salad contained some rather 'brown' fruit. The fruit bowl had quite a few brown, spotty bananas. The tinned grapefruit segments were 'value' rather than 'luxury'!
I sound very negative ... I thought the hotel had a feel of struggling to cut a few corners to save a bit of money... but the staff were incredibly warm and friendly and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Yoakley29
Thank you for your review and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall and would return.
My apologies for the couple of points that you raised, regarding the menu we are in the process of introducing a new menu into the hotel which why the full selection was not available I am sorry that this was not made more clear to you. The breakfast fruit is prepared fresh every day but I will certainly pass your comments on to the Head Chef as this needs further investigation. The tinned fruit that we use is of the highest quality provided by our supplier again I am sorry if you felt it was not.
Again thank you for you review and I will pass on your comments to all the team and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Rotherham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed overnight at this hotel which was booked through bookings.com. and would use again. Check in was straight forward.
Room was clean and comfy but slightly small but it was ok for a few nights stay , not really sure what view we had as we couldnt see out of the window!.
The hotel had a modern feel but still had charecter.
We had a few drinks in the bar where tapas was available but not sure on the cost as we were having a meal in the resturant, the bar did get busy due to a wedding party being there but enough seating in and around the bar.
Food - We had the meal offer which was included in the booking BB&EM
Both our starters was very good, my wife had lamb which she said was very good while I had steak, i had asked for medium rare but when it came it was rare and cold on the inside. I did however mention this to the waitress and she took it back and came back with a freshly cooked steak that was cooked to my requirements and was very good.
Breakfast was buffet style and was only ok.
Staff- All the staff were friendly and helpful
Car park- Was very small and at the rear of the hotel but we were able to leave our car there on the day of departure while we had a walk around Carlise.
When we arrived home we found we had left a phone charger in the room, I phoned the hotel and they had to wait to ask housekeeping the next day, which it had been found, then they just took some bank details and they just charged me postage and it arrived a few days later.
All in all a nice break

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review I very much appreciate it and I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I must apologise for the mix up with the steak but I am glad that this was rectified for you and that you enjoyed.
Thank you again and hopefully we can see you return to the hotel in the near future.

Gainsborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at the Hallmark on the 28th December 2012. We booked 3 x Executive rooms each at £105.00. We were away with friends on a very special occasion and had read some bad reviews so phoned the hotel and were assured by the hotel that all executive rooms had been refurbished and so we booked and paid the extra rate.
On arrival to the room I was more than disappointed and returned to reception to request a move to a better room. I was told by the nice lady that unfortunately I already had one of the best rooms in the hotel and no alternative could be offered to me.
The room we had was in terrible condition and fell way short of a £ 105.00 per night executive price tag!
On the plus side The hotel reception, bar and breakfast room were very nice and the staff were very friendly. The night barman Brian was a real star and in general the service was excellent. The breakfast was also good.
If the room is not important to you then this hotel is perfect for you, good location, lovely staff and nice public areas. If like us you expect a certain room standard, you may well be a little unhappy.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for your review my sincere apologies to your and your friends and I will contact you directly via e mail.

Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel for the new year celebration, The hotel was great, food exceptional and the service brilliant. The room was slightly noisy that it was such great value that did not matter. Would recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for your kind review we very much appreciate it. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass on your comments to the team.
Hopefully see you again in the future.

Best wishes