“Okay but nothing special”

Hallmark Hotel Carlisle
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Okay but nothing special”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Booked the hallmark hotel for august bank holiday sunday. Had used a wowcher deal, glad only paid £59 as it is certainly not worth full price. Our room had been recently refurbised, but it was not to a good standard they had spend money on swish bedding and a tv surround but the room was very dirty, a thick layer of dust on everything and the bathroom had seen better days, certainly not what i expect from this type of hotel. Also as there was a wedding on there was absolutley nowhere to sit downstairs, so were stuck in our room as had a little one so couldnt go far. On a positive note the staff were lovely, especially the blonde girl who helped us with a cot for our room and spent time to make sure our son was okay at breakfast. So overall okay but wont be returning as there standard prices are too high for what they offer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for your review my sincere apologies for the issues encountered in the room, these will be dealt with immediately by myself and the Head Housekeeper.
I am very glad to hear that you were looked after during your stay and will pass on your thanks to the persons involved.
The hotel is a busy hotel that caters for various groups of people, weddings and other functions, I am sorry if these impeded on your stay in any way.
Once again thank you for your review and we do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Yours sincerely

Claire Flint

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Thai first
Washington, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Went on a one nt special DBB, our room was lovely clean only down fall was looking out of window onto a brick wall, the staff great they always grated you with a smile and ever so helpful. we had our evening meal in the hotel, it was FAB, I had lamb you didn't need a knife the meat just fell of the bone and the puddings which are my best thing on the menu well they were to die for Whoopee

Room Tip: Don't take the car the train is right next door to this hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your lovely review I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I will pass on your comments to the staff especially the Kitchen, they will be delighted that you enjoyed your food so much.

Wales
Reviewed September 11, 2012

50 plus Welsh family and friends stayed here for my sisters wedding, from 07/09/12-09-09-12.
The hotel was fantastic, and catererd to all our demands. The rooms were spotless and spacious. The staff were brilliant all throughout, to the barmen working until the last of us were going to bed at 4am, to the catering staff who served the wedding food.
Breakfast is great at this hotel too. Well worth the money.
After my sister got married at Anvil Hall, Gretna Green we arrived back to the hotel where the staff had laid a red carpet outside the hotel and served us bucks fizz which was a lovely touch.
The wedding food was beautiful at this hotel and they do go the extra mile for you. Thank you Angus and staff, Perfect weekend.
Thank you Hallmark Hotel for a fantastic time :-)

The only downfalls were, the guests staying at the front of the hotel found it hard to sleep due to the noise from outside (but this is something the hotel have no control over) and the other was the drinks were quite pricey, but we were at a wedding at the end of the day, so was not too bothered.
There is no swimming pool at this hotel, it's at the sister hotel about a mile up the road,
all in all I would 100% recommend this hotel for a wedding party.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your fantastic review and I glad that you and your guests enjoyed the wedding and I will pass on your special thanks to Angus, he will be delighted.
We wish your all the happiness in the future and we do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel, maybe for your first anniversary!

Our very best wishes

Claire and the Team at the Hallmark Hotel Carlisle
hamilton
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Stayed previously returned for 1 night lovely room, dinner and b/fast fab, attentive staff and great location will def return.The hotel as spotless nice bar to sit and have adrink very central for all ammenities and if you want a rest from driving literally 2 mins from train station.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank your for lovely review delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass on your comments to the team.

poppadoms01235
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed here on a saturday night paid £99 B&B. Not too bad seeings as it including breakfast. The room was nice, modern and clean, only small thing is that the TV remote didn't work and the buttons on the tv were a bit dodgy, I reported it but wasn't fixed whilst I was there, staff did apologise but would have preferred a tv that worked properly. As it happened we went out and for a meal, came back and had a drink at the hotel bar which is very reasonably priced considering its a hotel. Brian the night porter talked to us all night and before we knew it, it was 7am and time for Brian to go home! At that point we made our way back to the room needless to say we missed breakfast but it did smell very nice!

Would definitely stay at this hotel again, maybe for a couple of nights next time and use it as a base in the Lake District rather than just stopping for a night en route to the next place!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the staff looked after you, I will pass on your comments to them.
My apologies about the TV this has now been rectified I can only apologise again that this was not done during your stay.

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My friend graduated at Carlisle recently and we thought we'd stay at The Hallmark. Everything seemed fine at first glance and we hurried out to the graduation.

When we returned late evening, the room smelt awful! So we rang down to reception, they sent their duty manager up, he flushed chemicals down the drains in the bathroom to rid the smell. This worked, however my friend who suffers with terrrible asthma did not really appreciate it! Next, we threw back the covers, ready to watch a film in bed, only to find white stains across the brown fleeces on the bed, and plenty of blonde hairs. so, we rang down stairs again. The same manager brought us up more bed linen and a free drink, he told us we would be able to get a refund in the morning with the morning manager. He did not make our bed. When we began to make out bed we discovered that the fleeces were, again, unclean. so, that evening we slept under one white sheet. The room was cold (extremely, without sufficient bed linen), and very noisy.

In the morning we checked the room thoroughly and discovered that not only our bed sheets had been dirty but the room itself. The bathroom was poorly cleaned, the bedroom dusty and homely for spiders in most corners and on both window sills.

We headed down to reception to find this duty manager. After telling her our complaints, she told us it wasn't their fault the linen was dirty, that it was an outside company who dealt with the linen. (I'M SORRY - DO HOUSE KEEPING NOT KNOW HOW TO CHECK?) That the night manager had done the right thing, pooring chemicals down the drains (I REALISE IT WAS THE BEST HE COULD HAVE DONE, SEEING THOUGH THERE WERE NO SPARE ROOMS). But lastly she stated that the roof had leaked that night and she had some customers who had spent the night in leaky rooms, as though to say "What are you whinging for?" (I'M SORRY - IT IS NOT OUR FAULT THAT YOUR HOTEL IS OF SUCH POOR QUALITY, I DO NOT EXPECT DIRTY LINEN, NEVERMIND A LEAKING ROOF) Finally, she offered us 15% off the bill! I told her this was not good enough, and she rudely interrupted me as though dismissing me, and finally offered 50%. A customer service course might be needed!

I would have expected a full refund but my friend and I were really just that tired and annoyed that I could not bare to carry on this argument and accepted this offer, deflated and desperate to get home.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Gemma W
Thank you for your review of which I do find some of your comments unjust and untrue as it was myself whom sat and spoke with you on the morning of your departure. I at no point rudely interrupted you I sat and listened to your issues and responded with the truth and the actions that had been taken and would be taken. The hotel was full that evening we had no rooms to move you to and because of the torrential rain fall yes we did have major issues with the roof, the drains and several other rooms in the hotel which were all dealt with the best that we could under the circumstances.
You fail to mention that you had 2 rooms in the hotel and that there was nothing wrong in the other room that was occupied other than some disturbance from outside noise which is out of the hotels control.
The refund offered was more than justified for the complaint received.

Yours sincerely

C Flint

Travelers are raving about these Carlisle hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here for the two nights of fri . sat as we , being my 26yr old son and l , were on a classic car event with Wigton motor club arrived fri 5ish room was ready but they still needed to make up sofa bed as rooms with twins had all gone , this was much better-off for us as we both got doubles to our selves my son on the bed settee myself in the double in the room , it was very warm we asked for fan but only five in hotel and all were out , Our room was on train station side but not much noise windows open all night fri was a little bit of noise from seven am sat as train car park under our window one of the best breakfast buffets we have had serve your self , with full English and fruits buns , pastries etc , BOTH MORNINGS WERE GOOD WITH GOOD COFFEE ONE AM AND A GOOD STRONG POT OF TEA AND A HOT CHOCOLATE THE NEXT MORNING , We got a fan the second pm however it was huge looking like the radiator fan from a tank , and with the noise to match managment may want to spash out on a few smaller quieter fans this was our only observation all other aspects of our stay were fine

Room Tip: rooms adjacent to train station have less foot fall noise
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
hall1qy, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Carlisle, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for your nice review and I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the breakfast I will pass on your comments to the Chef and his team.
I must apologise about the fans this has now been sorted new ones have been purchased.
Once again thank you for your comments and we very much look forward to seeing you again in the future.