“great staff”

Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
St Helens, United Kingdom
“great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

as ever great welcome from the reception staff made you feel very welcome very busy hotel good size rooms just need a little make over breakfast is the best great value and lots of choice big free car park and just off the motorway

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dorene M, Manager at Premier Inn Carlisle M6 Jct44 Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were warmly welcomed by the reception team when you arrived. I’m pleased that you managed to enjoy a good breakfast before you continued on with your journey- I do agree it’s excellent value for money! I look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn Carlisle M6 Jct 44 in the near future.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

Arrived quite late after 5 hours on the road.

The lady that greeted me and checked me in was very pleasant. Welcoming and personable - just what you need after 5 hours on the road. Check in was quick and efficient and, as I arrived so late, the lady on reception immediately phoned and reserved me a table in the restaurant.

I went down to my room (room 7) and was immediately aware that the place felt old and tired. Got into my room which, by Premier Inn standards, was quite small. It was clean and tidy but again, old and worn. There were cracked plug sockets, lamps that failed to work, old telephone sockets and a TV straight from the 90s. Honestly, I actually stared at it in disbelief. I know it sounds petty but I stay in a lot of Premier Inns and this is the first one I have stayed in where the TV wasn't even a flat screen - let alone Plasma or LED. I have actually replaced newer TV's than this one! The bathroom had been 'refreshed' at some point although the shower head had obviously been put in by a vertically disadvantaged plumber - I had to duck to get my hair wet!

So I went off to get something to eat. Was greeted by the staff and they were great. Attentive without being pushy.... but also very obviously keen to be away off home. I ordered the Beef, Ale and Mushroom pie. The beef and mushrooms were ok, but the pastry of the pie was of that strange industrial grade that absorbs gravy without in any way becoming soft or indeed edible. Too tired to be bothered to say anything I ordered a coffee, settled up and left.

If and when I stay in Carlisle again I doubt I will stay here - which is a shame and doesn't do the staff the credit they deserve - the hotel could really do with a major refurb!

Room Tip: If surroundings don't bother you but service does - stay here...... if you like a nice room howe...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dorene M, Manager at Premier Inn Carlisle M6 Jct44 Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you felt your room looked old and tired. You’ll be pleased to hear that the old televisions will be replaced by Samsung flat screens by the end of this month and we are due a full refurbishment for the rest of the hotel in the very near future. Thank you for your feedback regarding the shower in room 7, I will ensure maintenance investigate this as this certainly shouldn’t be the case.

I’m pleased that you found the reception team welcoming and efficient and the restaurant staff equally as attentive however I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your meal, in the future please do not hesitate to discuss this with the team so that we can try to resolve the issue for you before you leave.

I do hope that you decide to stay with us again at Premier Inn Carlisle M6 Jct44, perhaps after we have had our full refurbishment and I am sure that you will have a much better experience.

Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

being a casual smoker I was greeted with a notice that declared I couldn't stand under the awning but could stand in the rain ok ,noted. I am 72 by the way. The room and bed were of a excellent standard although I could not reach the soap container when I had a bath. As to the food we thought was average. The porridge was very thick underdone and a bit powdery so we passed on that ,fried breakfast ok. The staff were courteous and helpful, a little bit formal though.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Donald P
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the smoking policy however under the smokefree legislation we are required by law to not permit smoking under the awning as it is a ‘substantially enclosed’ area and leads directly into the hotel.

I am delighted that you found your room and bed to be of an excellent standard and that you found the team courteous and helpful. Thank you for your feedback regarding the porridge, I’ll ensure I investigate this with the kitchen team as this shouldn’t be the case. I hope to welcome you and your family back to Premier Inn Carlisle M6 Jct 44 in the future.

Barrow-in-furness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Staff excellent hotel nice and clean also very quite breakfast was very good with a good choice to pick from overall great value for money leave the car hop on the bus into Carlise bus stop just outside the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Graham P
Dorene M, Manager at Premier Inn Carlisle M6 Jct44 Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our Premier Inn. I am delighted that we met with your expectations on this occasion and that you found the team friendly and your room clean, comfortable and quiet. We are very fortunate to be both conveniently located for the motorway and also to have great transport links into Carlisle City Centre. I’m pleased that you managed to enjoy an excellent breakfast before you day in Carlisle. I look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn Carlisle M6 Jct 44 in the future.

Woodbridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

This very tired looking hotel was not a very good experience. I can't fault the staff of the food but the place needs a face lift inside. The radiator made a clonking noise every few minutes whilst is was on which sounded like it was being tapped with a teaspoon. I had to turn it off to sleep.
The toilet wouldn't flush and I spent ages trying to flush the thing.

The worst factor is that the place only gives you 30 minutes internet access and they are actually proud of this judging by the posters advertising the fact. I am staying in a number of hotels and have been since last June with 8 colleagues, we now avoid premier inn because of the lack of internet access.

Carpets are very worn and the place just feels old and tired.

Sleep quality was poor due to having a room close to the road and the windows let in all the sound from the road. In the summer it will worse if you want the window open.

No reward scheme that I was aware of either.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank John E
Mark D, Manager at Premier Inn Carlisle M6 Jct44 Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am disappointed to hear that on this occasion our Premier Inn did not meet with your expectations. We are in line for a refurbishment in the near future which will improve the areas of the hotel that you feel are looking tired. I am sorry that you experienced a number of maintenance issues in your room, as you may be aware we do operate a good night guarantee, if you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact us on 08715278208 and we can also ensure that our maintenance team investigate these issues.

To confirm we do offer 30 minutes free wifi each day and/or 24 hours access for £3, this is the current company policy for Premier Inn however I will certainly direct your feedback to our head office.

Thank you once again for your comments and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to Premier Inn Carlisle M6 Jct 44 in the future.

Stirling, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

I have travelled past this hotel many many times but never had a need to stop over until recently. I booked up and checked in and was pleasantly surprised. The building outside looks dated but step through the door and the interior is warm and welcoming.

The staff are pleasant and very friendly. The food was great, i had a steak and sat in the bar (thyme restaurant is available) to dine.

The rooms are clean and tidy and the bathroom looked as if it had just been modernised, it was bright and fresh. I enjoyed a bath with oodles of hot water.

I was met at breakfast by even more smiley pleasant staff and the food was again very good.

For people travelling north to south on the M6 the location is second to none and difficult to beat on cost.

The only downside is the noise from the motorway. I had a solid sleep through until 5 am but after that the noise from traffic became noticeable. I have to say that my room overlooked the main road and roundabout and many of the other do not. My advice if youre a light sleeper is to ask for a quieter room.

So would i stay again? Yes im booked up in 2 weeks time...

Room Tip: A quieter room to the rear of the hotel would be on my list for future bookings
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Nige S
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. Our team work very hard to ensure that we deliver the best possible service to all of our guests, It’s fantastic to hear that you found them cheerful and friendly and that you enjoyed a great dinner and breakfast in our restaurant.

I am pleased to hear that you will be visiting Carlisle M6 Jct 44 in a few weeks time, the reception team will be more than happy to allocate you a room at the back of the hotel to ensure that you get a great nights sleep!

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stopped at this Premier Inn, pretty late in the evening, with no booking (on our way to Inverness). The manager was really friendly and helpful and found us a room with a double and single bed, when no family rooms were available. The reception area was large and you could walk straight into the restaurant area. The corridor and rooms seemed newly decorated. Our room was immaculate and the bathroom also clean. The beds were very comfortable and the room quiet. The triple room only cost £45, which was a bargain and we will definitely stay here on our way to Scotland. The only slight down comment is that the hotel is quite big and so it was a bit of a walk to the room (but it was one of the last ones they had!).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our Premier Inn. I am delighted to hear that you were well looked after by the team and that you found your room comfortable and quiet. We have very high expectations for the cleanliness of our rooms, I am pleased that you found yours to be immaculate. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Carlisle M6 Jct 44 in the future, for all of our best available rates be sure to book in advance at premierinn.com.

Kind Regards