County Hotel
Orbitz.com
Crown Wetheral Hotel(Wetheral)
$73
Hotels.com
Premier Inn Carlisle M6 Jct44 Hotel(Carlisle)(Great Value!)
$74
$74
$73
$66
Travelodge
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewstired and in needtea and coffee making facilitiesfull english breakfastcomfy bedexcellent value for moneyrevampstopover
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 17, 2013

My Husband and I have just returned from this hotel after spending a few days there . From the moment we arrive the staff couldn't do enough for us, very helpful at the reception only a few minutes and we had our key..The Hotel might be a bit dated but it's clean , beds and room was clean and tidy, It's very handy for the town centre, train station, Bars,we will be back at this hotel again, oh the breakfast was nice and plenty of it,

Room Tip: Round the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Stayed over a weekend for two nights. The hotel was an ideal location for me as I travelled to Carlisle by train – the hotel is opposite the train station, literally a 1 minute walk and located on a main high street in the town centre. Overall I liked the hotel. It is very dated but being an older hotel it had a lot of character. My room was small but perfect for my needs. Had a nice flat screen tv which included the Sky News channel, which for me was a bonus. There were tea / coffee facilities, biscuits, shower gel, soap and shampoo provided. My room was on the busy main road. If staying at the weekend, may want to ask for a room at the back of the hotel due to noise from clubbers etc on the high street, although I didn’t have any major problems. I booked directly through the hotel website, which was offering a discount on the site at the time of booking and included full English breakfast. The buffet breakfast was good and included cooked food - eggs, bacon, sausages, toast etc, yoghurts, cereal, fruit, fruit juice, tea and coffee. If I am in Carlisle in the future, I would definitely stay here again - I felt it was reasonably priced compared to other chain hotels and as stated was an ideal location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the main street if going at the weekend.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michael M
Reviewed September 22, 2013

On first impression inside the foyer, which we came into from the rear(free) car park the hotel looked like it had had a recent refurb this however was short live as one you started up the stairs...you could see the general run down appearance of the hotel. Our room (215) had a strange smell like musty furniture...the bed however was comfortable and clean unlike the bathroom which seemed to smell of poo and stale pee , and was overdue for renovation a long time ago. The shower did not work and the ceiling was peeling and watermarked.
Do not be fooled by the pictures on Facebook.
We had breakfast in a well appointed dining room which was basic but very nice I have got to say
after all the other faults this was a relief.
The street below was very noisy until 4am which we kind of expected.
If your looking for a quite night in a nice hotel ..this is NOT for you.
Other Inconsiderate Guests were smoking in their rooms Are there no smoke detectors?
We were asked to pay on arrival which seems strange...but if we saw the room before we paid we would have asked for a substantial reduction or the room that was refurbished.
I feel the staff did their best but seem to be so stretched I feel this is why there are so many problems.

Room Tip: Ask To view before You Pay!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is the location.... Me and my boyfriend booked this for last weekend. we were out for dinner, cinema then drinks, the reason we chose this hotel meant we didnt need to walk far as the location for pubs, train station is fantastic.

The hotel....is very dated, the first floor looks like it has been renovated and you can see this when walking up the stairs as it has a nice carpet and bannister, then the second floor it just looks soo scabby, the carpets are ripped, someone had been sick on the landing, looked like it was there for atleast a day. Got to our room, it was big enough couldnt fault that, but it smelled horrible, very very strong smell of urine, we sprayed some air freshner before we went out but when came back it was still really strong. however the room a could learn to live with as was only there for 1 night.

The staff werent very friendly either but as i said wasnt really bothered. There werent many spaces for us to park the car either.

This is definatly a hotel for the younger clubbers, me and my boyfriend are in our 20s and we were out for a few drinks so we dont mind people coming in late, but the noise was unreal, some of the other guests had no respect, i know this isnt the hotels fault, but the walls are very thin.

I would only ever stay here again if it was with a group of friends for a night out, not a romantic break.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Sadly, we did not recognize the County Hotel, Carlisle we stayed in from the descriptions and comments on Tripadvisor.
We occupied two rooms during our stay because when we booked we could not book the same room throughout. Our experience of Room 101 differs considerably from that previously reported. The carpet was dirty, the room gloomy and the outlook was over the back car park. The second room we stayed in was on the second floor. It was small, extremely hot and could not be ventilated properly because it was impossible to raise one sash window sufficiently to allow enough air in and the sash cord on the other window was broken so the window could not be opened at all. Even so, there was a great deal of noise from the street outside.
The bathroom area in both rooms was unspeakable - dilapidated, dated and with water damage.
Car parking was somewhat difficult because it was shared with lorries and coaches.
The staff were polite and attentive - trying to make the best of a bad job.
The best feature of the hotel was it's proximity to the station. We will not be staying at the County Hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple