“Comfortable and friendly”

Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Carlisle
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
“Comfortable and friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

We booked two single en suite rooms and that is what we got. In fact we got a little better than that because each room had a chair and a table as well as room to move around. Any one who has any experience of single rooms will know that this is not always the case. The water from the tap was boiling hot and plentiful. The rooms were clean, the staff friendly and helpful. My friend felt cold and so in addition to the central heating they also provided a small electric heater. The hotel has a car park around the back, which is free for guests. The main station is just across the road, but I didn't hear the trains at all. It was a pleasant place to stay whilst visiting Carlisle.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Dumfries, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

I booked a twin room and a single room separately through booking.com. When we arrived it turned out that both rooms were on different floors as they had been booked separately. The reception man managed to get us on the same floor. The new room turned out to be a triple (which they don't advertise) When we realised this he very kindly allowed us to cancel the single room and we were only charged for the triple. Staff-fantastic, Location- excellent and opposite the train station. DEFFINATELY will use again!!

Room Tip: There are triple rooms available which are not available on their website as these are limited.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ayr, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

At £45 for a large room for two including full English breakfast, we had to give it a try. The friendly receptionist gave us 3 keys to allow us choose a room which suited us. Our room was warm and clean and the breakfast was the same 7 item choice on each of our 3 day stay. New carpets were being laid when we arrived in entrance lobby, lounge, & dining rooms. This hotel is old type with creaky floorboards and no double glazing in our front room. I believe some rooms have secondary glazing, but as we chose this front room and were told beforehand about the noise, we thought probably traffic, but no - it was all night loud male & female youths Monday & Tuesday. Wednesday though was quieter. Yes we would holiday there again but at the rear of hotel next time.

2 Thank hielsa
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

We recently spent one night at the County Hotel it would appear to be nearing the end of a refurbishment and was certainly starting to look smart.We had a double room with breakfast, the room was clean and large with all the usual facilities, the breakfast was self service varied and more than ample, the staff were extremely helpful and the receptionist Liz had all the answers to our questions. If you take into acount the fact that we paid £50 for two people double room with breakfast I think you will have to search long and hard to find better value in the area and we would certainly use this hotel again in future visits to Carlisle. If you are travelling on by rail the station is directly across the road.

Room Tip: We chose a standard room but they also do a premium room for an extra fiver, but we were well satisf...
2 Thank Jonandwend
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

I felt sorry for the staff at County Hotel because they were all lovely, helpful, went that extra mile, but they are working in the worst hotel I've ever seen. Grubby, threadbare, unfinished bathroom tiling, old fashioned analogue TVs, creaky bouncy floorboards, piles of rubbish and junk on view at the back, un ironed net curtains, horrible leaden duvet and rock hard pillow, boring decor, bedsprings sticking up, boiling hot radiator on all night, metal bedside lamps too hot to touch.
On the plus side, the breakfast was good and the hotel is cheap. Maybe too cheap? Carlisle has been pretty hard hit by the recession, although apparently there have been some improvements. Local income seems to come mostly from Eddie Stobart and railway tourism, but there's a spanking modern hotel along the road, and some very posh B&Bs in the area. The competition is fierce, we booked only 48 hours in advance and couldn't get into any of them but here is a huge six floor hotel right opposite the station! Why isn't it doing better? It's hard to say where they could get the investment for a serious update, but you can still iron curtains and grout tiling, wipe down the reception car park monitor and the bathroom extractor...surely? And the biggest crime: toilet not cleaned properly, poo up the back of the pan. I don't want to have to clean a toilet when I am paying for a hotel. County is a traditional railway hotel, in a nice funky old building. But while we couldn't book anything else, it was half empty. They need to find one or two other income streams and use the money to modernise and clean it up. I can't imagine wanting any function in there...I'm a musician, maybe they should put on some gigs or conferences and up their bar take? What would it cost to buy sixty or so small digital TVs wholesale? Or Vax the carpets?

Room Tip: I don't think they HAVE a 'good' room.
Thank Rhiannon True-b... D

Travelers are raving about these Carlisle hotels

glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

I booked with clever hotels and the dates I chose came up different on the booking form.
I tried to rectify this by Emailing the company but there was no reply and no effort to rectify the mistake, hence we had to re-book ourselves and forfeit the use of the room and my money.

The county hotel were most helpful in re-booking the room and our stay there was most pleasant.
Overall I would recommend this hotel, albeit the hotel is a bit tired and in need of a bit of upgrading. Breakfast was excellent and catered for gluten free diets which I found a surprise as even in the best hotels, there has been a struggle to find food suitable to these needs.

Room Tip: our room was facing the back so the noise was minimal, although the view was compromised.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com

Accrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I've just stayed here for 3 weeks and can't complain at all. I was in Carlisle working and have stayed at other hotels in the area. If I hadn't have been satisfied I would have gone elsewhere. This was not the case. The staff were friendly. I was upgraded to a double room for the same price and although the view out the window wasn't too good that didn't bother me in the slightest. More important to me is that it was very quiet. The room was very clean. Yes, it may be dated but if it's decor you go for that's your prerogative. Personally speaking my preferences are hot water, clean comfy bed and a wifi connection. All in all I had a pleasant stay at the County and won't hesitate to book there again in a couple of months time when I'm back in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business