“Excellent family evening”
Review of La pergola - CLOSED

La pergola
Cuisines: Italian, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I would recommend this restaurant to anyone ..we went last night as a family treat .. The service we received was outstanding ..and the food was beautiful ..even the kids had clean plates .. I can't wait for our next visit ...thank you to the staff for making our evening a lovely one

1  Thank Lisa1981j
There are newer reviews for La pergola

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I couldn't work out if this restaurant was good or not based on previous mixed reviews, so decided to find out for myself.

I pre-booked an alcove table for a romantic meal for two on my girlfriend's birthday.

Alcove table duly delivered.

Starters - we both chose the garlic mushrooms with bacon. The meal, including the accompanying garlic bread, were cooked to perfection, melt in your mouth without being soggy...the bacon was perfectly just slightly firm - not under- or over-cooked.

Mains - I chose the tagliatelle with salmon in cream sauce. Plenty of salmon, sauce creamy without being overbearing-excellent. Girlfriend chose penne with bacon, tomato & chilli...penne was cooked 'al dente' with lots of rich tomato & chilli. The bacon was of the same quality as the starters and again, plenty of it for your money.

Desserts - I had vanilla cheesecake; a delicious mix of light biscuit base and delicately creamy vanilla topping (and lots of it too!) My girlfriend selected the lemon sorbet and declared it 'magnificent'.

Service - a young, tall, blond-haired local lad served us throughout. He was excellent as he was attentive but not overbearing; he clearly realised we wanted some time alone together and was always quiet and discreet when approaching us at the secluded alcove table for two.

Issues - only one...there are a whole list of Liqueur Coffees on the menu, but strangely for an Italian restaurant, no Italian coffee, only French, Irish, Caribbean etc coffee. However when I asked for an Italian coffee, it was not only made & served without fuss, with its dollop of pouring cream it was delicious!!!

Overall - Total bill of £46.20 for 3 courses each plus drinks for top-notch food and service. Beat that! I know where I'll be dining when I next visit Carlisle...La Pergola Restaurant on Castle Street!

3  Thank JayAngie2014
Reviewed June 28, 2014

My fiancée and I visited la pergola for a meal tonight. We were looking forward to it as we had read some very good reviews. When we arrived we were met by very friendly front of house staff and shown to our table. I ordered the mozzarella with tomato sauce and my fiancée ordered mushrooms in a bacon and cream sauce for staters. My fiancées meal can only be described as disgusting. The bacon was just cooked with large pieces of fat still attached. There was so much salt in the sauce it shocked both of us. For main I ordered tortellini in a mushroom and bacon sauce and my fiancée order the salmon pasta. My meal tasted greasy and had a sheen over the top. The bacon also had large pieces of fat still attached to it. My fiancées meal was again extremely salty and most of it ended up left on the plate. Easily the worse part of the meal was the garlic bread. It was wet and sloppy and fell apart in your hand.

I don't like to write bad reviews but on this occasion I feel it is more than justified. We told two members of start about or dissatisfaction but they still charged us full price. To say we are dissatisfied is an under statement!!

3  Thank Lordmonkeypoo
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We recently came for a meal here and we're very disappointed. It was literally the worst meal I've had in Carlisle. Three of our four courses were overwhelmingly salty and one was so greasy, it was inedible. The food came out so quickly that there was no way it was fresh, not that too fast is usually a thing to complain about.
The staff didn't seem to bothered when we mentioned our issues, no compensation or drink was offered.
Unfortunately we won't be back.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We had booked a table to celebrate our 21st Wedding Anniversary expecting a quiet romantic occasion only to find a 21st birthday party next to us with off menu items being ordered. Fortunately Manager David and his side-kick were up to the challenge, and bless our fellow eaters we got a piece of birthday cake. A most excellent time was had by all and an occasion to remember. Thanks to Lisa for the excellent food, staff for service and the drink suppliers for all the variety of alcohol consumed.

1  Thank Vapu