“Handy to break a long journey”

Lynebank Guest House
Ranked #36 of 61 Carlisle B&B and Inns
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Handy to break a long journey”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The room we had was on the ground floor and nicely decorated with a bit of personality. The plaxw was easy to find and convenient for an onward journey to Scotland. Staff at breakfast were friendly. Our room was probably the quietest for traffic moise but the building vibrated when aritculated lorries went past though this wasn't an issue during the night.. Staff tried to be quiet arriving i n the morning but having a bit of a 'domestic' was a bit disconerting as we were getting ready to leave.
Reviews suggest the food here is good but it was just a standard bar menu the Friday night we stayed and there was no cask ale as it was still low season so we went elsewhere in serch of it eventually ending up in Carlisle as there wqas none to be found nerer by. Breakfast was a bit disappointing, no brown bread, no fruit, and a rather greasy full English.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Beckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed for a night on the way to Scotland, I wasn't expecting the lap of luxury for the price and it wasn't but it was clean,comfortable and the food was excellent. Steve the owner was an excellent host and couldn't do enough. Will stay again definitely.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Stayed here as a stop over en-route to Aviemore .Room was lovely and clean and comfortable and Steve was a great host . Thoroughly recommend the steak cooked to your liking by Steve was awesome,will definitely return

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Withernsea, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Didn't really know what to expect as we thought we'd paid a "budget hotel" price, however we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. We were in a very large family room in spite of there only being the 2 of us - only comment I would make is that instead of 3 single beds the room would appear roomier if 1 set of bunk beds and a single bed were in the room - we had a good sized en-suite shower room which was more than adequate and on the whole clean.
The host and his daughters were very friendly and pleasant even on Sunday morning when they were run off their feet cooking/serving breakfast.
We would certainly recommend this hotel to friends and we would return ourselves if back in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Arrived to find we were the only couple in the hotel on Saturday 29 December. Our host Steve made us feel very welcome and cooked us a lovely steak meal which had all the trimmings. We then spent another 2 hours in the bar talking with Steve and his neighbor Will who popped in for a drink. Steve then prepared a lovely breakfast the next morning which set us up nicely for our journey to Stirling. Thanks again Steve.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Billericay, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel at home. Steve cooked us a cracker meal, I was surprised until I found out he had travelled internationally as a chef so from then on we looked forward to every meal. Eina was a star and kept the kids entertained, a hostess with the mostest ( some places pretend kids aren't there). Her fun loving manner and energy ensured we were all well looked after in their comfortable hotel. 5 star value at a 3 star price... I'd recommend it to family, couples and business travellers alike.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Mold, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I travel regularly over the border Scotland/England so I thought I'd found the perfect stopover (I've been searching for ages!) Sadly not. The room was great - very clean and modern but let down by a couple of minor points - I could only get BBC2 on the tv - and once in my pjs I'm not going to wander downstairs to investigate - and the towels in the morning were really tatty - one even had a hole in it! Couldn't find a hairdryer so I didn't bother washing my hair. Worst of all - after establishing that it would be OK for me to have breakfast at 6.30 because this was a business trip and I had to leave at 7 - I sat in the courtyard outside for 15 minutes as the place was locked up and not a soul in sight. I eventually phoned and was let in but too late for a full breakfast. To be fair - they did rustle up scrambled eggs on toast at breakneck speed but I had to bolt it down to get away by 7. I see that this place generally gets good reviews but I can only comment on my experience. Sorry guys it's back to the tatty travelodge for me next month.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Happyhoos, Owner at Lynebank Guest House, responded to this review, September 11, 2014
Since this review was placed, the property has been taken over by new, experienced hoteliers (September 2014) and we will be carrying out a full refurbishment programme and will address any points raised in less favourable reviews. We hope that you would re-visit the property to appreciate.