“downton eat your heart out”
Review of Warwick Hall

Warwick Hall
Ranked #9 of 61 Carlisle B&B and Inns
Brampton, United Kingdom
“downton eat your heart out”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We attended a event at the hall was very impresses at the house and grounds the cake and coffee were great just slightly let down by the poorly spoken staff who couldnt understand me but two of the girls who worked there has a lovely chat with me about the events they offer house partys and weddings the girl showed me round the hall and explained she did the cooking and they use the produce from the fantastic walled garden a lovely day and a great place that i will book soon

Room Tip: As we have a dog the girl reccomended a suite with wood burner
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Valowner, General Manager at Warwick Hall, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
I'm pleased you had a good day out when we opened the River Walks and the Gardens for the Red Cross recently. We were blessed with the weather - thank goodness! The gardens were looking a picture, and we had over 300 visitors come for a good walk and a bite to eat.
We were pushed to produce homemade soup with an artisan bread roll, or afternoon tea with homemade cake and scones for so many. One of the helpers who came in to support us - she's a real worker! - is a lovely Polish woman who understands English quite well, but is still struggling to speak it.
It simply didn't occur to me that she would have to converse with anyone to whom she was serving tea. It seems a little harsh that Trip Adviser has marked us down for this - what do you think?
Val

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Tonbridge
Reviewed September 24, 2013

What a fabulous place to spend the weekend. The bed was the closest I have ever come to my own bed at home, wonderful pillows and mattress - best nights sleep ever! we were in the garden suite which suited us perfectly as we have a little dog, the suite had a very comfortable lounge to relax in after a super meal in the village pub (walking distance and dogs welcome) the suite is right next to the boot room so we were able to enter without the worry of wet paw prints and muddy boots! We walked in the grounds along the banks of the river to the walled garden and beyond, watched men fly fishing in the beautiful clear waters - perfect. It's top of our list for another stay hopefully in the spring. The place is amazing, we've never been anywhere like it.

Room Tip: The Garden Suite is perfect if like us you have a dog with you.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm so pleased you were comfortable. I describe our beds as the best investment we've made - and I really like it when guests comment on them. I hate staying anywhere - friends or hotel - where the bed isn't everything it should be. My days of sleeping on cheap and cheerful gap year beds are over! Ditto stuffy rooms and poor quality pillows. Never mind the fancy wallpaper - give me a superb mattress and good linen and I'll be happy.
Thank you for taking the trouble to write in.
Sheffield
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I have just returned from a wonderful weekend break at Warwick Hall in Carlisle. From the moment I rang to make this booking, I instantly knew we had made the right decision as Val was very accommodating when I explained that I needed a family room. Nothing was a problem and the room would be ready for our arrival with an extra bed made up in the room. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very friendly Val and we made warmly welcomed into her country home retreat. The grounds were stunning and the home very grand and regal. Their was a very family feeling and we were made to enjoy the property and relax during our visit. We were given a suite that had three rooms which were decorated to a lovely and soft atmosphere. You simply felt at home and the bed and bath were made even more welcoming with the outstanding views. Local knowledge and guidance was provided by Val and by son, aged 10 thoroughly enjoyed his conversations with Val. A lovely nights peaceful sleep was enjoyed by all and the morning was made even better by a great traditional English breakfast. The food was fresh, well cooked and a pleasure to enjoy, again in outstanding surroundings. This place really helps you escape from your everyday hectic life and allows you to slow down, enjoy your time together and feel like royalty for a short period of time. All at a price which meets the family budget. A wonderful retreat and one which we very muck look forward to repeating in the future. Thank you for sharing your wonderful home with us.

Room Tip: I would not think this home has any poor rooms! I would enjoy staying in them all, but the riverside...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Valowner, General Manager at Warwick Hall, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
How nice of you to go to so much trouble to write your long and friendly review. I'm so pleased your family break was such a success. Your boy will be a real heartbreaker - those eyes! - before too much longer. These special times away together before he reaches that age will seem all the more precious to you.
I hope you'll be back again - Carlisle United can't win every time! Next time will be your team's turn!
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Before I booked I read the trip adviser comments, overwhelmingly good, some not so. My experience was as follows
- it is not a hotel, no bar, no snacks or evening meal, unless there is a large party in which case it is part of the package. So a very up market bed and breakfast. It is a far cry from a national hotel chain and if you expect that then don't book- this is an entirely different experience.

I booked the River suite which is quite expensive but very well furnished/finished. Pure cotton bedding and soft pillows and duvet. Lots of logs for a much needed open fire in the evenings. Everything you could possibly need - flat screen TV, DVD and CD players, fully equipped kitchen.
The bed is not quite as large as I had expected and being right by the river there are some unwelcome visitors in the evening, one of which bit me.
The grounds are stunning.
A local had told me the main house was a bit shabby- not at all. The drawing room is right out of Downton. A huge amount of investment has gone into the refurbishment of this stately pile.

Val, Nick and Boots were very relaxed with us effectively sharing their wonderful home. And Boots was happy to share our suite to play with our dog.

They do charge £12 per dog per night which I wasn't aware of until I paid the bill but worth it for their relaxed attitude to what and where she could go.Val put sheets on the sofas so our little dog could cuddle in and she was welcome in the main house and the breakfast room - a far cry from the usual restrictions when booking a hotel that allows dogs.

Breakfast is wonderful; home-made preserves, fresh coffee, Cumberland sausages the best I have ever had.
If you are just passing through Carlisle or staying for a long holiday this is one place you need to have on your radar.

Room Tip: Little mention of the "Garden suite" on trip advisor- this doesn't face the river but...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks to you for writing in about your visit to us. Your dear little dog was a great success with our dog - Boots went looking for her after you'd left.
The beds in the two suites are English king size - 5 ft wide by 6 ft 6 inches long (Queen Size in the USA). Both very good quality - both get excellent reviews from visitors - but both designed for togetherness. We have Super King Size - 6ft wide by 6ft 6 inches (King Size in the USA).
I hope we'll see you back in Cumbria again,
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Fortunately for my wife and I, the room we had booked at another Hotel turned out to have been double booked and I started looking again.
I found Warwick Hall and booked it just for one night, we went for the River Suite, which turned out be wonderful, 3 room apartment plus shower/bath room all in a traditional English style very clean and of a very high standard and overlooking the river and pastures, so tranquil.
On arrival I was unsure that we had arrived at the right place, very little indication that this was a hotel, so understated! yet quite grand. Could it be a private home I was walking into? Well fortunately it wasn't, I was quickly met by Val and although I knew I was in the right place, Val made us feel so welcome it still felt like a private home and we were house guests.
The accommodation was superb, we were recommended a restaurant close by, which turned out to be very good and we returned early to light a log fire in our living room and open a bottle of red we had from the houses wine list.
So relaxing.....fantastic.
Great breakfast by Val and again, no rush, just so relaxing informal and friendly.
What a find and what a treat..........we will be back and hopefully introduce more members of our family to this wonderful venue.
Great place and warm and welcoming hosts.
Frances and Peter

Room Tip: Its just off the M6, great place to stay when breaking the long drive from the south to Scotland A...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for going to bat on our behalf. I'm very pleased you discovered us too! I'm not sure what I need to do to let the world know we exist - but comments like your must be a big help.
We'll look forward to seeing you here again when your travels bring you north. Many thanks in the meantime,
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We have just returned from a fantastic family party at Warwick Hall for my fathers 80th birthday. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality offered by Val, nothing was too much trouble and the food suited the occasion perfectly. ( The lemon drizzle cake was the best I have tasted!) The log fires were wonderful and along with the comfy sofas and flickering candle light gave a fantastic cosy atmosphere. The rooms are all equally special and all of our guests felt that they had had a wonderful experience in fantastic surroundings. Warwick Hall offers something unique and we would highly recommend it for a family get together. We will return for other celebrations in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Valowner, General Manager at Warwick Hall, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Very many thanks to you in turn for writing in this review. You all gave a wonderful party for the grandparents - I know they appreciated it enormously. It's clear the most meaningful thing we can do for each other is get together to renew the connection and keep families bonds tight. It certainly is the only present the older members seem to want.
I'm pleased you came to us to do it!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our recent visit to Warwick Hall was magical...we arrived to the warm welcome of Val and Boots, their German Short-haired pointer! We met Nick later and enjoyed the many stories of fishing and hunting in northern England. The area is just beautiful, with the river Eden and sheep just outside the house. We enjoyed visiting local quaint towns, old churches, castles and hiking Hadrian's Wall. The accommodations were elegant and yet comfortable. The food was wonderful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Valowner, General Manager at Warwick Hall, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for doing this - and for pinpointing the things that we are getting right in your opinion. So heartening! I hope we'll see you again soon
Kind regards, Val