“Great birthday treat”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great birthday treat”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

My husband surprised me with a meal at Bijou for my birthday and it was a real treat! We went for the midweek two course special for £18.95, I had the chicken and leek terrine which came with toasted brioche and was amazing, husband had the scallops for a £3 supplement and enjoyed his too. I had crumbed cod with spinach and chorizo which was lovely, he had the pork and again enjoyed everything. The service was fantastic and when I spilled my drink didn't treat me like a clumsy fool which I clearly am! They cleared it up promptly and were so nice about it! The restaurant is lovely and we will return!

• Visited July 2014

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Graduation celebration”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My daughter, grand daughter and myself visited here on 17th July as a pre graduation celebration, we were not disappointed. The scallops were heaven, the steaks cooked to perfection and a lovely haggis bomb delighted the taste buds
The service was attention but not obtrusive, the wine selection was good, although a medium priced champagne would not go amiss.
It was lovely to meet our chef, Matt, thank you for a wonderful time which made the celebration of all Katie's hard work even more memorable
Sincerely Barbara

• Visited July 2014
Cumbria, UK
“Birthday Treat”
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Went for a birthday treat to Bijou and we were interested to try the "taster menu" which we'd heard about. We were not left disappointed!
We were made welcome from the moment we entered the dining room by the very polite and attentive staff. The food was very tasty and well presented. We had course after course with enough time in between to not feel rushed. It took us around 2.5 hours to complete the meal.
Prices are at the high end for a city like Carlisle, but as a special treat we would recommend Bijou to anyone.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank seanandnic
Carlisle
“Excellent fine dining with attentive service”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

For a city of its size Carlisle has too few restaurants such as Bijou, where one can enjoy "fine dining" in pleasant surroundings with attentive service. The head waiter here is friendly and knowledgable about the menu and explains each dish as it is served. The chef uses locally sourced produce whenever he can......including an excellent Bombay Sapphire style gin, distilled in Keswick.
The course portions are generous and are preceded and interspersed with complimentary appetisers, bread and a palate cleansing sorbet. After all this, I'm afraid my husband & I were unable to face any dessert/coffee, so my advice would be, do not eat for several hours before coming here and try (if you can!) to forego the bread. I'm actually surprised the restaurant can afford to be so liberal with these "freebies".
We were seated in the smaller of the two rooms and, to an extent, agree with a previous reviewer, that the spacing between the tables should be increased.....by removing one altogether.
All in all an excellent place for those "special occasion" meals.

• Visited June 2014
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“lovely meal, great service,”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Very high standard service, tasty food, well presented.
just the right pace of courses
calm, welcoming ambience
The only minor criticism is that the tables were a little close to each other

• Visited April 2014