“gilded lily”
Review of Gilded Lily - CLOSED

Gilded Lily
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 17, 2013

awesome relaxing place to chill over a lovely cocktail or a glass of wine, very friendly staff clean and sophisticated. had food in here too and was not disappointed. the presentation was fab!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Looking for a place to eat in Carlisle I chanced across Gilded Lily. Charming traditional surroundings, an open fire, and friendly service it felt like a welcome oasis from the bland fast food restaurants elsewhere. Food also tasty and good value. Would strongly recommend this pleasant restaurant.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

we went to the gilded lily and really enjoyed the food cant find anything to fault it, i had sea bass and it was excellent. My only concern was that as we were sat at the window seat near the door i found it quite cold, will sit somewhere else next time

Reviewed January 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I dined here whilst we were staying at a local hotel on the 2nd of January. We arrived at 7.30 and the restaurant and bar were already busy. We were seen to straight away despite there only being 2 waitresses who looked extremely busy. We order the Roasted Pepper and cheese dip with bread and the squid rings as appetisers, both of which we would highly recommend! For mains I had the duck breast which was cooked perfectly and all the accompaniments were delicious. My boyfriend had the assiette of lamb which was presented very well and was also cooked to perfection. We didn't have to wait long for either of our courses. We also had a bread and butter pudding and a tiramisu which were presented very nicely and were a great end to a lovely meal. All the staff were attentive and helpful.
We are so glad we decided to try this quirky restaurant and we have absolutely no complaints, which is a change for my boyfriend who, as a chef, always finds something to pick at! Our bill came to £60 which we both feel is extremely good value for money.

1  Thank Laura M
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Don't get me wrong, the food is nice and reasonably priced, however the service leaves something to be desired. Upon walking in to the place we were stood for a good 10 minutes while waitresses bustled past, seeing us but choosing to ignore us. When we were eventually pointed (literally) to a table and had ordered, our food then took a good half an hour despite the fact we'd only ordered sandwiches/burgers. When the food was cleared, the waitress asked if everything was OK, but did not ask us if we wanted anything else. We assumed she would come back after getting rid of the plates, but no. We then waited for a good half an hour trying to catch someone's eye in vain. Eventually managed to order some coffees. Then the next task was trying to get the bill; another 20 minutes trying to do this. I appreciate the place was very busy, however, on a lunchtime, most people have places to be. I have worked in hospitality for years and not only do I understand how important customer service is, but I also know it isn't that difficult to deliver adequate service even when you are busy. It also isn't difficult to crack a smile. The whole experience left me drained. I won't be back.