“dont get their chips”

Ranked #37 of 364 Restaurants in Carlisle
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed December 4, 2012

dont think the chips had been in the fryer longer than 2 mins hard as they were when they went in staff great and the place looked clean

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I Have been going here for 6years i just ring up for an order for when i finish work and they always have it fresh and ready for me the owner,s and staff are brilliant

2  Thank she61
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Such a shame that the previous good reputation of the 'Fryery' has been destroyed in one fell swoop today by the actions & poor attitude of the owner / manager, who's response to our genuine complaint regarding food quality was to totally dismiss our comments & treating us with a complete & utter contempt, displaying no understanding whatsoever of the term 'customer care.'
I can honestly say that this experience has to be up there as one of the worst restaurant experiences & a good example of 'how to alienate your customers in one easy lesson.'

Whilst I understand entirely that lunch times in many cafes / restaurants are peak trading periods & mistakes do & frequently occur in the best of them, but today's experience was totally uncalled for, my wife ordered 'a slab of steak pie' (their menu description not mine) & my usual favourite, 'Haddock & chips.' Unfortunately when the meals arrived however, my wife's pie had a pastry crust that was most certainly over baked & hardly edible, my fish too was over cooked, the presented side was almost acceptable however when I turned the fish over the batter was almost black on the underside! Certainly not the usual standard that we had come to expect at the 'Fryery.' When we called over to the waitress we explained the problem, no apology was forth coming, the substandard meals were returned to the kitchen. A few minutes later, to our surprise, a young lad (who was on door control) was despatched to speak to us & advised us in no uncertain terms that in their opinion there was nothing wrong with the meals & there was nothing that the manager was going to do about them & he wasn't going to replace them either with fresh meals! On hearing this response we were somewhat taken aback to say the least, we finished & paid for our drink got up to leave. I was about to exit the restaurant & the young lad on door control said that the boss wanted a word with me, I duly walked over to the kitchen area to speak with the manager, I could hardly believe my ears, he said to quote ' I cooked those meals fresh myself & there was absolutely nothing wrong with them,' before I had a chance to say to him that we were not prepared to eat & pay for over cooked food just a simple apology & offer of replacement meals would have sufficed, he said 'don't bother visiting his establishment ever again' your barred!! Words failed me, I was gobsmacked at his complete lack of customer awareness & any ability whatsoever in customer complaint handling, how very dare we as customers question his food!

You've been warned! If you have a complaint & dare to mention anything to the staff you'll be read the riot act & likely to be barred in the process. Suggest you try the competition instead!

8  Thank Be_Steve09
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We'd seen The Fryery on Trip Advisor and decided to pay a visit on our recent trip to Carlisle. We were warmly greeted at the door and were shown to the restaurant upstairs. Once at the top of the stairs we were immediately approaced and taken to a table.

Three of us ordered the Fryery Special which consisited of haddock, chips, mushy peas and a pot of tea (there are other choices available) and my wife ordered the Jumbo Whitby Scampi. The drinks arrived a couple of minutes after our order was taken and the food shortly after. The portions were enormous and there was plenty of fish and Scampi. We'd foolish ordered some bread and butter but it was a real struggle to eat everything! It is worth asking for the smaller portion or chips if you are not a big eater otherwise you might get overwhelmed!!

My only criticism was that there was some tomato suace on the handle of the milk jug but other than that it was first class. All of the staff were very efficient, polite and helpful and I would highly recommend a visit.

1  Thank ChuckSid
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Crisp thin batter on fish. Great value, also offer pensioners special reduced prices. Quite quick service by well mannered staff.