“Not great at all”

Ranked #46 of 498 Restaurants in Colchester
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Came here for a girly meal.
Overall the place is a nice, well decorated, clean restaurant.
To start we had to chase the bar person around the bar to get a drink. Waited for what felt like a life time. No sense of urgency at all.
The menu has a good choice and is reasonably priced.
Starters were luke warm and came out in dribs and drabs so we didnt eat together. We had waited so long for them and were starving that we just dived in and ate them. Some were decent sized portions, other very small.
Mains were again slow to arrive. Again came out in dribs and drabs so some had the start whilst others sat there. The main part of the meal was hot, the side dishes were all cold. Not very enjoyable to eat this way.
Desserts were so slow coming out that some people had already left by time they arrived
Overall, the service was poor. The staff were polite, just very demotivated and very slow. It felt as if we had been dumped to one side and fed as and when the chef got a chance or when the waiting staff were passing.
We only came here as we had heard that the place had finally got its act together (been here a few times and its also been poor). But obviously not.
This may be local to me but I would rather travel out elsewhere
I'm sorry.

2  Thank localyomyom
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Yew Tree, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear localyomyom

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Yew Tree in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Chef & Brewer

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We arrived on a sunday lunchtime, although fully booked we were able to eat in the bar instead. The staff were really friendly and the food, service and venue was really very good and i am planing on going back soon.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Decided to eat out while staying at a local hotel and it's a place we've been to before. I made adjustments to every meal I had due to food preferences, and not only was the food delicious, it came out quick, was served with a smile and we had a great meal out!

1  Thank Shelley C
Reviewed February 17, 2014

The yew tree was my local, until I decided to eat there one evening with friends.
What arrived was not edible, staff very a good about it, so decided to give it a try some weeks later.
To my disbelief the same thing happened again.
Come on 'chief & brewer' pay another few pounds to employ a trained chief instead of paying kids the minimum wage.
I know for a fact non of the locals eat there.

2  Thank boxted1
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Yew Tree, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear boxted1

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

Kind regards

Chef & Brewer

Reviewed February 17, 2014

This pub has everything going for it ( good location, attractive building, nice bar area, friendly staff) It's a pity about the food. We visited on at lunchtime and ordered 2 meals (sea bass and pork belly) which should be relatively easy to get right, unfortunately this was not the case. It seems the pub is catering for the fish and chips/ burger brigade, step outside this and beware. We won't be returning.

1  Thank don w