“Much improved”

Ranked #91 of 517 Restaurants in Colchester
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Well ! What an improvement! I could not believe how much the Yew Tree had changed from my last visit. The staff were very friendly, the service was much improved and the amount of food we received was more than we could eat. I have to say we had a very enjoyable lunch, I would be very happy to go back again

Reviewed November 27, 2013

After reading all the negative reviews it's easy to be put off but we just had a lovely evening here. The food was delicious and the service was great - the waitress was attentive, kind and helpful. We had the baked camembert which is a really generous portion with plenty of bread to dip! Plus battered onion 'petals' as a bonus. We also ordered steak both of which were perfectly cooked and again, the portions were great value for money. Even more so if you can find a voucher as we did - 25% off! The slow service has been mentioned - personally, I did not find this and I quite like a delay between courses rather than the experience at so many chain restaurants which just seem to want to get you in and out in as little time as possible.

Overall, we were really impressed by the improvement at this place and the food, service and atmosphere all make for a lovely, relaxing evening. Big thanks to the Yew Tree from us!

1  Thank LTree
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I've been here a few times now, and while the food is good the service just seems to get slower and slower. At one point we waited nearly 40 minutes between courses. If they could just sort this out it would give a much better experience.

1  Thank Richard M
Reviewed November 17, 2013

The sooner this place gets taken over the better, its such a waste of a lovely old building in the heart of a very nice village. Overpriced, very low quality food. The staff are nice enough but it really does not make up for the terrible quality of food here. I really do question where else the reviewers that think this place is fantastic have eaten...compared to The Wimpey or KFC...then maybe this place is OK!!

3  Thank Andrew P
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Yew Tree, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear Andrew P

Thank you for providing us with your review

I can confirm that I have passed on your comments about your visit to the management team and to the Area Manager of the Yew Tree who would like to thank you for your feedback and to let you know that they have taken your feedback on board and passed it to the relevant teams.

We do hope to see you soon in the Yew Tree soon.

Kind regards,

Chef & Brewer

Reviewed November 11, 2013

My husband and I visited here yesterday as a rare treat without the kids. We were quickly seated and ordered drinks whilst we decided what to order. The wine was wonderful and the service very good.

We ordered starters, hubby had Tandori chicken with sweet potato and mango. I had Scallops with chorizo, frittata and rocket salad. We waited over half an hour for starters which came lukewarm. The scallops were small but tasty even if they were cold but the "frittata" I expected to be like slivers of omlette were just fried squares of potato. Hubby's starter also tasted good but was also quite cold.

For mains we both had 8oz sirloin steaks. No fault with my meal. Nice steak, could have been seasoned a bit as not the most flavoursome I've ever had but at £12.99 it was priced ok. Hubby had mash with his and said it was underseasoned but nice once he added his own salt and pepper. The tomatoes on the vine were hot on the outside but cold and raw in the middle. The table next to us didn't have tomatoes at all and commented that again, they were hot but not exactly cooked.

We had now been in the restaurant for 90 minutes and had 2 courses. Desserts weren't such a long wait but I was disappointed that the Fruit Medley was unavailable but the syrup sponge was wonderful - I just didn't have enough room to finish it.

The bill when it came was for almost £70 for a 3 course meal and 2 drinks each. If it was a little local pub with a £40-£50 total I'd be happy but it was much more and was not the most memorable of meals unfortunately.

Staff were lovely, well trained and very polite but we won't be rushing back,

2  Thank Becky T