“Wonderful fine dining experience”
Review of The Haywain Restaurant - CLOSED

The Haywain Restaurant
Cuisines: British, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: Located within a Grade II listed cottage in the heart of Constable Country. Small, Intimate and Elegantly casual.
East Bergholt, United Kingdom
“Wonderful fine dining experience”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Was taken to The Haywain by my wife for my birthday. On arrival we were greeted by the chef patron and shown to our table. Once we got over the facts that a) we were the only customers that night (between Christmas & New Year - the restaurant only opens if it has a reservation) and b) it felt like we were about to eat in someone else's front room that we didn't know we settled down very quickly in no small part due to our host who as fabulous all night long. After an apéritif we both started with scallops which were delicately cooked accompanied by bacon and mushrooms with a balsamic drizzle - very nice indeed. To follow I had the venison on courgette which was a revelation. Rare meat, so tender and well seasoned - I was hooked from the first mouthful. Mrs D had cod which was also perfectly cooked with greens and sun dried tomatoes. For pudding I had an orange (I think) zabaione with biscuits which was light, orangey and not-too-sweet while Mrs D had a panna cotta with fudge which she enjoyed (even though she's not really a set custard kinda girl). Wine choice was good and not over priced. While we don't eat out as a couple much anymore this was proof to me that fine dining is alive and well in East Anglia if you know where to look. An absolute gem of a place that we are already planning our next visit to. Nice one!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank beast2912

Colchester, United Kingdom
“Another winning evening”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Went back to The Haywain last night with some friends as they had never heard of it and I think that they will spread the word. Craig cooked some wonderful food as always, the venison was just wonderful. Only downside for me was that he hadn't baked me some gluten free bread as he has before. I think the problem is that it's difficult to get to at night as the satnav doesn't like the location, but make the effort and go especially if you enjoy fantastic food!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank sjh796
Harwich, United Kingdom
“Sensible Sunday's”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

= Haywain For Lunch! Real cooked food. No tosh! Really great people. Many thanks. I do miss it as The Fox & Hounds on party night though, but that is another story entirely!

• Visited January 2014
“Award worthy!!”
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had tried to get reservations here a few times, but they were always booked.....how excited we were to be able to book this time on our travels!

We were not let down. Intimate location with high level service standards..... From the fresh baked bread, wine, cauliflower soup, venison to die for.... too a heavenly chocolate fondant to end with a spectacular bang!

Perfect relaxation and timing between courses and the front of house took care of our every need.

We will be back soon and recommend if you haven't tried...do.....as it is only a matter of time before this gains one of those Michelin stars!

East Bergholt, United Kingdom
“Great food”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This is a premier restaurant with fantastic quality food and service I really do not need to say much more but give it a try.

Visited December 2013