“Sensible Sunday's”

The Haywain Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located within a Grade II listed cottage in the heart of Constable Country. Small, Intimate and Elegantly casual.
Reviewed January 22, 2014

= Haywain For Lunch! Real cooked food. No tosh! Really great people. Many thanks. I do miss it as The Fox & Hounds on party night though, but that is another story entirely!

Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had tried to get reservations here a few times, but they were always booked.....how excited we were to be able to book this time on our travels!

We were not let down. Intimate location with high level service standards..... From the fresh baked bread, wine, cauliflower soup, venison to die for.... too a heavenly chocolate fondant to end with a spectacular bang!

Perfect relaxation and timing between courses and the front of house took care of our every need.

We will be back soon and recommend if you haven't tried...do.....as it is only a matter of time before this gains one of those Michelin stars!

Reviewed December 15, 2013

This is a premier restaurant with fantastic quality food and service I really do not need to say much more but give it a try.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

My first time at the Haywain with my mate taking me and the other half here to celebrate their anniversary. On arrival it is small, intimate, atmospheric and quite original. Precise menu with only 3 starters and mains plus 4 deserts/cheeses. Decent wine list and also St Peters Brewery IPA which is really excellent.

My starter was trout and smoked mackerel terrine followed by duck and I tell you what, it was faultless. The other half had the butternut squash and goats cheese soup (great!) and for main I felt she had the best dish of the night that being venison saddle cooked to perfection.

This was an impressive first visit that will not be our last.

1  Thank Mark M
Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is the second time that we have been to this restaurant a wonderful meal both times. This is also the second time that we have been the only ones in the restaurant though I'm not complaining. Lovely calm room ,beautifully laid table and although the menu is small and I didn't think that there was anything on the menu that really grabbed me what I did choose was wonderfully cooked by Craig and I wasn't disappointed at all. Craig is a great host, he is attentive and as another reviewer said 'unobtrusive service'. We will certainly return.