“Takeaway that takaway!”

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I can only vouch for the takeaway. It was a Saturday night and when I called to give the order it took me a while to get through so when she told me it would be ready in twenty minutes my suspicions were immediately aroused. When the order was taken it was read back to me with a couple of errors which I corrected. We arrived to collect it fifteen minutes later to find it was already under the counter waiting. The three people in front of me were served and then I collected and paid etc.

When I got it home only five minutes drive away not only was it cold but there were two dishes incorrect in the order. The plain noodles with beansprouts I had ordered had morphed into plain boiled rice.
(I felt like a participant on “I’m a celebrity get me out of here”) as the plain rice was in addition to the portions of special fried rice I had ordered. The crispy beef was in an uncovered container so was stone cold and not crispy but chewy (those dog chews spring to mind)
The lamb with ginger and spring inions had sliced ginger which tasted raw and overpowering. The lamb, well let’s just say there may be a trade description issue here and leave it at that. ( don’t want to be sued ). The fried mushrooms tasted boiled and undercooked and the whole meal left us underwhelmed.

So the search goes on for a good Chinese takeaway in Colchester(and Indian). Be great if you could let me have your suggestions, although even this one came on recommendation although I realise food is subjective. I miss the Amber in Little Clacton and nowhere in Colchester has come anywhere near their standards yet. Based on this experience I will not be trying the restaurant which many of you have given such good reviews.
As Saturday night takeaways go, I prefer Ant and Dec!

5  Thank Just_a_Giraffe

Reviewed March 22, 2013

As the title says this was the first time I have been here. The best Chinese meal I have ever had. We were taken straight away to our table and ask whether we would like any drinks. We didn't have to wait too long before our order was taken by a lovely Chinese waitress who helped me with my order. We had the banquet menu which was perfect. We was asked if we wanted any drinks all through our evening and was even asked if we want a jug of water, not the normal bottle of water most places try and sell. After the first two courses we asked if we could wait a little while before they brought out the next course, this wasn't a problem and they came back to us to ask whether we was ready. Although we were told our booking was for 7.30 to 9 this was plenty of time and didn't feel rushed at all. This restaurant was continually busy and would think that you would definitely have to book. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I had a meal with some friends at china chef last Saturday, I have been going here for years. It's the best Chinese in town. The food & service were amazing even though it was really busy. I can't recommend it enough..!!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Our freinds have got us hooked on China chef. Especially the green beans!!!! We do not go nearly as often as we would like but i have had 2 birthday celebrations here as well and the service is brilliant. We have also had a takeaway which was nice ( A little more pricey than your average chinese takeaway- but its china chef so it doesnt matter! )

Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

I have been earing at this restaurant for years and it is always excellant.
The restaurant has been recently refurnished and its style and ambience is lovely.
We had a table for 8 which is a large round table with a lazy Susan. The food, drink and service was fautless.
The owners really make an effort to make you welcome and happy.