“what do people expect?!!”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #23 of 23 Hotels in Colchester
Reviewed April 30, 2012

My friends and I recently stayed here, yes it's seen better days but ie's a very old building and something about the slopey floors was quite endearing! Most importantly our room was clean and the staff were great, extremely accomodating and helpful-lovely breakfast. For the money you can just not complain!! I possibley wouldn't use the hotel for a family ho;iday but for a few nights with friends it was spot on.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lindsey B
There are newer reviews for Riverside Hotel

Reviewed March 16, 2012

We were looking for somewhere cheap in Colchester for one night and I booked this on the internet based on the price. When we arrived it looked shabby from the outside and unfortunately got even worse inside. If it wasn't for the fact that they stated if you cancel within 7 days you'll still be charged, I would have walked back out as quick as possible. The young guy behind the desk was very nice and took us up to the room. When he opened the door at the top of the stairs, the smell of sewage was horrible. The room wasn't very clean although the bedding was fresh but there was no mattress cover and the mattress was very lumpy. The en-suite had a smelly shower, a tiny basin and a toilet that had seen better days. Drab old fashioned dirty nets and thin dodgy curtains completed the decor.
We weren't looking forward to breakfast the next morning but it was surprisingly ok. The two women serving/cooking were very nice and the food was acceptable.
Everything is very run down, shabby and needing a little TLC. All the lights in the bar/breakfast area had energy saver bulbs and no shades. There are lots of little things the owners could do that wouldn't cost much but would make a huge difference.
If you don't mind staying in a doss house then you'll probably find this ok but spend the extra £10 and stay in a proper B&B or hotel. We wish we had.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank beehiveLondon
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Having booked an overnight stay by phone and given them credit card details a week before arrival was forced to cancel 24hrs before due date. Told over phone that there was a 7 day cancellation policy and would have to pay in full if they couldn't relet the room (this conveniently wasn't mentioned when booking made). Thought this was a bit much but accepted it and requested they let me know if a charge would definately be made.
Heard nothing from them so decided to call bank only to be told that they took the money on the day I booked.
It's not the money it's the principle.
Definately won't consider a stay here in the future.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Bedroom, bathroom, towels and bedding all clean, beds comfy and everything worked. Room was warm though we did have to remind them one evening as the heating had gone off. Freeview TV and kettle with tea/coffee-making stuff but otherwise little in the way of extras - no biscuits or bottled water and no shampoo etc. Main road outside surprisingly very quiet even on a Saturday night.
Breakfast was basic; cornflakes/Weetabix/toast and no variation on full English other than adding tomato and beans. Cheapest sausages I've had for a long time. Very restricted serving times.
No evening meals (in fact the place seems deserted in the evening, with just a phone to contact staff, so you can't ask for advice about where to go) but numerous chain and independent restaurants in town, including several on the way up the hill only a few minutes walk away. If you prefer there's quite a big late-night convenience shop and a pizza take-away across the road.
The small car park seems to be abused by local residents so may be full before you get there.
I'd probably pay a bit more next time and go elsewhere, and the breakfasts would be very boring for more than a couple of days. Sometimes you get lucky at this sort of price and find a gem, but other times you get what you pay for and this was adequate.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank J0hnst0n
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Stayed one night in this hotel before Christmas. On first impressions we thought it was ok even if the cleanliness of the room was a bit to be desired but would do for just a night. When we came back from our evening out and pulled the bedding back the sheets hadnt been changed from the previous guest. There was a huge yellow stain on the white sheet and the bed smelled really bad. On check out we complained and asked to speak to someone about this, a member of staff checked the bed and said to email our complaint which i have done a few times now and they have failed to get back to me. There are better hotels than this in collie for less money

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DADDAVIES
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Having read reviews of the hotel (after I had booked) on here, I wasn't of the opinion that my stay would be fantastic. However, I have nothing to complain about. The room and bathroom was clean, the bed was fine, and the included full english breakfast was good aswell. For £55 I wouldn't knock much about this hotel. It could do with a refurbishment, yes, but considering it is the cheapest hotel I found in Colchester it was not a bad night at all.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank RareReviewer3
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is the worst hotel / B & B my husband & I have ever stayed in. We arrived early so didn't expect our room to be ready. We were asked to come back which we were happy to do. But when we did an hour after we were expected, the staff weren't sure if our room was ready. Our room was pocky, dark and dirty. When you sat on the loo your head was in the sink and I'm not a big lady. The shower was dirty. When we arrived for breakfast which was within the time we were told, we were given a funny comment of ' ok you've arrived' although the guest who arrived 15mins after was greeted differently. When the milk ran out on the communial table for tea, I had to follow the staff member into the kitchen and was told we shouln't be too long as they were having the restuarant cleaned later. we were not made to feel welcome and couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple