“very interesting”

Colchester Castle Museum
Ranked #5 of 69 things to do in Colchester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Colchester Castle is the largest Norman Keep in Europe. Constructed on the foundations of the Temple of Claudius, built when Colchester was the first Roman capital of Britain, the Castle Museum today reveals many fascinating layers of history to visitors. Archaeological collections of international quality covering 2,500 years of history are beautifully showcased, including of the most important Roman finds in Britain
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children
Reviewed November 25, 2013

the town I was born in and where queen boudica reigned, a very historical and interesting place to visit. I have been many times over the years, helping with school trips or just taking my own kids there. There are now lots of hands on things for the kids to do, such as brass rubbings and even dressing up in outfits of the time era. Give yourselves 2-3 hours as there is a lot to see and do.

1  Thank melody m

Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Colchester Museum has so much to offer being one of the oldest settlements on the island, since 2000 years ago. Extremely rich content, very amusing for children, great value. Excellent day out activity!

1  Thank Biljana H
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Some of our in laws came for a visit so we went to the Castle one morning. I have never been inside before even though I live here and was totally blown away by the detail and well thought out history lesson they have set out here. So much to read and see for yourself, it is an interesting display. Makes me think more about walking around Colchester, and I now see it with very different eyes. Innovating.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

A first class attraction with lots to see well laid out and very informative
Great location but far to expensive to visit other than a special occasion should be cheaper for locals

2  Thank john1946066
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We were very excited when our relatives suggested a visit to Colchster Castle. When we arrived we saw scaffolding and green mesh all over the castle. Apparently the castle is being restored through the lottery fund and will not be open until January 2014! Very disappointing but once the restoration is completed it should be very good. I don't think we will be visiting again too soon being from Australia.