“Disappointing”

Ranked #59 of 531 Restaurants in Colchester
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2017 via mobile

We have been here for lunch many times and have never been disappointed until today. The starters were good but unfortunately it was disappointing thereafter. My husband had roast pork which was 3 incredibly thin slices of meat, 3 roast potatoes, a sliver of crackling and a drop of apple sauce. The vegetables were equally sparse. Perhaps because we were at the end of service there was not enough left. My fish dish was bland and although I expect to find the odd small bone my fillet was FULL of very large bones which should have been removed before cooking.
Not sure if we'll return in a hurry.

Reviewed July 25, 2017

First day of a week off.... and we decided not to cook. Our local "go to" restaurant, went early, no need to book. Arrived just gone 6 o'clock, drinks and sat outside in the sun, perusing the menu, which changes about once a month.
Having picked the starter of deep fried prawns with a change of the accompanying sauce, we picked the mains.
Whenever I see liver and bacon on the menu I always plump for it, as we do not have this dish at home (don't ask). However, I do not really like spinach and was immediately offered broccoli as an alternative. Win, win. Very accommodating, friendly staff.
My wife had the ravioli with pesto, pine nuts and tomatoes
All dishes arrived piping hot and all were spot on.
Finished with 2 excellent puddings and was treated......

Reviewed July 16, 2017

This delightful pub/hotel is in a beautiful setting with views across Suffolk. The food is amazing and the staff are all extremely friendly and helpful especially the Bar Manager, Sam and Nicole.

We highly recommend that you visit The Crown. If you are in the area its an absolute must!!

Reviewed July 14, 2017 via mobile

A must to visit cute small hotel and nice restaurant. Great service, great fish and chips and landscape absolutely amazing.

Reviewed June 20, 2017

Very good atmosphere - Nice and warm welcome - top kitchen, great food - well trained staff - nice beers - very good wines.
Certainly worth a visit worht a visit when you are in Suffolk !