“Good Venue to Eat and Meet”
Review of The Stockwell - CLOSED

The Stockwell
Cuisines: International, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 19, 2014

At last a quality place to eat in Colchester instead of the usual "chains that frequent the town" having seen the Stockwell in its previous state of dis-repair and the vast amount of work to upgrade the building now completed, we were interested in visiting to see the end result we were not disappointed good food, good atmosphere and good service cannot fault keep up the standard Colchester needs it

1  Thank kelryan

Reviewed January 17, 2014

The Stockwell in Colchester is something I have been missing for a long time. Having moved back to Colchester after seven years in Leicester where there are no end of stylish bars and fantastic eateries I was lacking something. But recently I stumbled across The Stockwell. Working in the town centre daily it is a treat to find a local place to eat or even just pop in for a drink on the way home. So much so that I booked my department xmas do there and had the most excellent buffet which was so tasty and such great value for money and everyone really enjoyed it. I have since had several meals there, evening dinners and the express lunch is such great value for such great taste and I love popping in for a drink on the way home. The staff are friendly and welcoming and the place has an air of Essex medieval charm, it's homely with its open fireplace and classy. The chef is excellent and has a great eye for serving something extra special that looks good and tastes amazing. I am very excited about the new menu, cannot wait to try the 'Essex hot pot' and totally intrigued by the 'flower pot' too! And the weekend brunch menu is worth driving into town for at the weekends. I think the Stockwell is one to watch, definitely growing in popularity between myself and colleagues. A charming eatery that I would be happy to take any family and friends to and am sure would be guaranteed good food and hospitality!

1  Thank Filthy83
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We went here in November 2013. Its great to see this old building bought back from the brink, though it appears by the decor in the main restaurant that the present owners are still settling in.
The staff were very pleasant, attentive but not overbearing.
The food was very good. I've seen others saying there wasn't much of it. All I can say is we left feeling full but not uncomfortably so, and I'm no string bean.
I would and have recommended The Stockwell to friends and family.

1  Thank James P
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Me and my 7 family members had a most splendid time and this enchanting eatery.
I loved the food and feel of the place.
We all dined and drank merrily as if to keep in fitting to the wonderful medieval surroundings.

Definitely going back... once my finances recover from Christmas!

1  Thank Graham S
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Myself and my husband finally got round to trying the Stockwell for Sunday lunch. Luckily we were seated in the front area which was preferable to the large back room which was noisy and lacking in atmosphere. Staff were friendly and we chose soup and terrine to start, which were good although the soup was a very small serving and the accompanying bread warm heavy and wet. We both chose the seafood stew for mains. What a disappointment. This was described on the menu as gurnard, pollack cockles and prawns accompanied by potatoes fennel and bouillabaisse. The first thing we noticed was that the main ingredient was salmon which I always feel is a bit of a cheap trick used by some restaurants to pad out fish dishes. There was just the one prawn, some white fish, quite a few cockle shells but fewer cockles and several mussels accompanied by a bland sauce which possibly had some fennel in it which was indistinguishable. The bread did not resemble sourdough, more like a thick slice of generic brown bread. No potatoes were evident. Our waiter didn't return to ask how the food was until he cleared the plates and we said that we never would have ordered salmon and where were the potatoes? He apologised and offered complimentary coffees. We said we would like to see the dessert menu, which he brought. When he returned he explained that they hadn't had a delivery of gurnard, hence the salmon substitute and again offered complimentary drinks or coffees. We said we would accept complimentary dessert and the rice pudding was cheerfully provided free of charge and was enjoyable. Overall the service was good, however changes to dishes should be explained upon ordering and the main course as it was was very poor and frankly we were still hungry. Overall poor value for money.