“Young and Old”

Cuisines: International, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We went here in November 2013. Its great to see this old building bought back from the brink, though it appears by the decor in the main restaurant that the present owners are still settling in.
The staff were very pleasant, attentive but not overbearing.
The food was very good. I've seen others saying there wasn't much of it. All I can say is we left feeling full but not uncomfortably so, and I'm no string bean.
I would and have recommended The Stockwell to friends and family.

1  Thank James P
There are newer reviews for The Stockwell

Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Me and my 7 family members had a most splendid time and this enchanting eatery.
I loved the food and feel of the place.
We all dined and drank merrily as if to keep in fitting to the wonderful medieval surroundings.

Definitely going back... once my finances recover from Christmas!

1  Thank Graham S
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Myself and my husband finally got round to trying the Stockwell for Sunday lunch. Luckily we were seated in the front area which was preferable to the large back room which was noisy and lacking in atmosphere. Staff were friendly and we chose soup and terrine to start, which were good although the soup was a very small serving and the accompanying bread warm heavy and wet. We both chose the seafood stew for mains. What a disappointment. This was described on the menu as gurnard, pollack cockles and prawns accompanied by potatoes fennel and bouillabaisse. The first thing we noticed was that the main ingredient was salmon which I always feel is a bit of a cheap trick used by some restaurants to pad out fish dishes. There was just the one prawn, some white fish, quite a few cockle shells but fewer cockles and several mussels accompanied by a bland sauce which possibly had some fennel in it which was indistinguishable. The bread did not resemble sourdough, more like a thick slice of generic brown bread. No potatoes were evident. Our waiter didn't return to ask how the food was until he cleared the plates and we said that we never would have ordered salmon and where were the potatoes? He apologised and offered complimentary coffees. We said we would like to see the dessert menu, which he brought. When he returned he explained that they hadn't had a delivery of gurnard, hence the salmon substitute and again offered complimentary drinks or coffees. We said we would accept complimentary dessert and the rice pudding was cheerfully provided free of charge and was enjoyable. Overall the service was good, however changes to dishes should be explained upon ordering and the main course as it was was very poor and frankly we were still hungry. Overall poor value for money.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

My partner, myself and two other friends went to this restaurant on recommendation. First impressions were good, we ordered and my partner decided on Quack Stak which was so minuscule we all sat with our mouths open! My terrine was very large and very good, the soup was also plentiful. We ordered our main courses but the head waiter returned to say that the skate was not now on the menu as the chef didn't like the look of it. My partner then ordered the lamb but this was a very small portion. My seafood dish was okay but small, on checking the online menu today it should have had potatoes and fennel with it, but no I wasn't served any if these. A generous portion of sourdough bread was to be served with this dish, but the staff knew I was gluten free and they had gluten free bread in the restaurant but failed to bring it until I asked. Also will restaurants please get some decent GF bread, M & S is virtually over the road! On a plus side the puddings were good but when the bill came they had charged us for two things we hadn't had so all in all not a good evening.

Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

I went to the stockwell lay weekend with my partner, it was my first time there and I must say I would go again, we tried the venison and i enjoyed it, it was a little tougher than I'd prefer but overall was enjoyable, for dessert I had the salted caramel delice which was delicious would definitely recommend also the waiting staff were lovely and really accomidating, checking our meals were okay and that we were okay for drinks, the only downfall was I wish I could have sat in the front of the restaurant as it is beautifully decorated, however we sat at the back where the walls were just painted white, such a shame when the front was decorated so beautifully however overall a very pleasant experience, would definitely go again !!