“Great for veggies”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Having read the review in Trip Advisor decided to try our luck on a Friday night. We were lucky getting a table having not booked, management was so friendly and accommodated us without an issue.
It was so refreshing for three veggies to find a menu with a specific section devoted to the non meat eater - the staff were lovely, the food was gorgeous... The one we had with the lentils and chillies was not for the faint hearted!!! Hot, spicy but lovely.
Would recommend in a heart beat!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I went to this restaurant though a recomondation from a family member and would never go to another indian restaurant in colchester again!! Every time i have been here its been amazing good prices hot well cooked food and the best service in town friendly and very welcoming, i went to another indian in town and wasnt half as nice as here! Hope this helps if u where thinking of a visit :)

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I've lived in Colchester over 25 years and had never noticed this restaurant before, though admittedly I rarely eat out.
My girlfriend suggested this as a location to celebrate our 7th anniversary and I'm glad she did. I booked a table for a Saturday night - turned out we could have got in without one early in the evening but better safe than sorry.
First of all, the service was impeccable. The staff were attentive throughout the meal, and very attentive. Several apologies were made for the speed of service, but I thought it was fast enough. The manager (or owner, whatever) reminded us of my dad (who we both love) - friendly, funny, and eager to please.
The menu was surprising - a much wider variety of dishes than I normally see at an Indian restaurant - and we both chose main dishes we'd never even heard of before. They were gorgeous, no complaints about them at all. Although we were filled up (without a starter), we were having such a nice time that we didn't want to leave. We didn't feel under any pressure to leave, so we left it a while and then shared a dessert. I'd recommend trying the doughnut with golden syrup.
Main dish, side dish and rice came to around £15 per person but drinks were cheap for a restaurant and the dessert was inexpensive. Total bill with two drinks each came to £45, and we thought it was worth a tip.
We had a great time, and would definitely go there again, and recommend it to people.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We have often eaten at the Maharani and never been disappointed. We order takeaways too. As vegetarians, we often ask for changes to the dishes and this has always been accommodated with a smile. My advice? Go with the waiter's recommendations - it's always worked for us.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

went here with family for evening staff were helpfull great food n service nice atmosphere fair prices couldnt fault it thanks fr a wonderfull evening =)