“Fantastic food in a great location”
Review of The Peldon Rose

The Peldon Rose
Ranked #160 of 476 Restaurants in Colchester
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Due to reposession, there will be no Alcohol until June 1st The famous Sunday roasts are back, and so too are the original owners who ran the pub from 1999 Standing for well over 700 years The Peldon Rose provides great food and service in traditional surroundings. Local, seasonal produce is used to create a menu which blends British favourites with international cuisine. The perfect destination for a casual lunch or that special occasion dinner, here's to another 700 years of hospitality!
“Fantastic food in a great location”
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic food in a great location. Lovely atmosphere and staff very courteous. Reasonable prices especially set lunch menus

• Visited August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London
“Very good menu”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The menu here caters for most tastes, the food is nicely cooked and presented. The staff are friendly and attentive. The old part of the restaurant is cosy and "olde world" and the conservatory is light and airy, the gardens are attractive. Plenty of parking but the restaurant can get busy so it's best to book. We have used this restaurant many times over the years and of late it has improved considerably.

Petersfield, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My mother and I visited on the 10 August. The meal took a little while to arrive - great, no microwave reheating. If you want fast cardboard food go to McDonald's. My mother had the pan seared sea bass which she described as super fresh and buttery soft - high praise indeed as she does like her fish and can be quite picky. I had the lemon and herb chicken, I did not want the smoked cheese sauce so was brought a jug of normal gravy without being asked - good attention to customers needs! The beet root salad was to die for, very well balanced by the salty sun dried tomatoes. Staff very attentive but discreet, keeping an eye on drinks but not being too obtrusive, nothing worse than eating with someone constantly hovering asking you if everything is okay. Nothing was too much bother, even checked tide timetable to make sure Mersea causeway would not be underwater. Mum was helped down the uneven steps. Perfect lunch. Have eaten here about 7 times and only ever had one mediocre meal. Do watch out for the uneven surfaces/steps, but nice to see health and safety have not ruined a lovely old pub.

1 Thank Rachel N
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fab all round”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I have eaten here with my husband once before an remembered that the food was lovely so decided to bring our visiting relatives. Fab food, service and friendliness of staff. Food was fresh and well presented and children's food also above average for a child's meal. Highly recommended to all my friends. :)

1 Thank RG3NKS
Essex
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Sunday lunch 12.30 - orders taken as soon as we arrived. A short wait for the starters which were very good, gravadlax and a carpaccio of Serano ham. Then an interminable wait for the mains - even my Mum was becoming impatient which is very rare. I eventually had to go to the bar to ask what was going on. It was plain that our order had not been carried out for the mains i.e. they had forgotten us. I was ready to leave and pay for the starters and drinks, but we were told that the mains would arrive in 8 minutes, so we decided to stay. The dishes arrived in 4 minutes but it was obvious that the food had been waiting around and was reheated - my Mum's lasagne was dry and crispy around the edges, the garlic bread as hard as a hub-cap. My lamb kofta were inedible, dry and rock hard to the knife. I again went to the bar to complain that we could not eat the food. We were given the choice of alternative dishes but by now we were totally deflated by the bad experience and just wanted to leave. The staff were unapologetic and we were made to feel embarrassed by our complaints. Never again.