“Good night out”

The Peldon Rose
Ranked #178 of 489 Restaurants in Colchester
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The famous Sunday roasts are back, and so too are the original owners who ran the pub from 1985 till 1999. The building dates from 1354 and has been an Inn for several hundred years. The Peldon Rose provides great food and service in traditional surroundings. Local, seasonal produce is used to create a menu which blends British favourites with international cuisine. The perfect destination for a casual lunch or that special occasion dinner and we look forward to your visit.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We booked a table for 7 for a Saturday evening family event and as always a good meal and attentive staff especially as we changed our minds several times when ordering - we will be back.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Beautiful coastal location. Great selection of wines and a menu to die for! Oak
beams with an open fire made it the perfect place for a romantic dinner. We loved it!!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

My wife and I went here for our wedding anniversary. Chose a table by the log fire - most welcome. Service was very very good. The food was First Class. Starters were good and my wife had a fish mains which was really good. I had a lamb meal which melted in your mouth. Deserts were good also but we should have known when to stop !!! But that was our fault and not theirs.
Would we go back. Yes please, when.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Me and my partner had a wonderful meal recently at The Peldon Rose. It was our first visit there and we will certainly be going again. The food was delicious with generous size servings. We both had a starter and a main meal and I enjoyed the mini cup dessert which was a nice option instead of a full size dessert. The staff were very friendly and we are looking forward to our next visit.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

My wife and I visited the Peldon Rose last evening (29th January 2013) using the Travel Zoo promotion voucher we purchased some week’s before.at a cost of £35:00.

We experienced problems in obtaining dining dates and times of our choices, with the blame being put on the number of diners using these Travel Zoo Vouchers.

With time running out on the vouchers we visited on an (unpopular) Tuesday evening.

The restaurant was very quiet when we arrived.

Whilst we waited for our starters of Crab Terrine we selected some olives from the ‘While you wait selection’.

They were quite the poorest olives we have ever eaten; they were poorly presented and mushy!

The Crab Terrine arrived; but failed to live up to its billing; bland and short on crab!

In the meantime we were advised by our apologetic waitress that the kitchen only had one piece of rib-eye steak which we found both surprising and disappointing.

I would add that the steak(s) incurred a £5:00 supplement (total £10:00)

Being forced to change our selected meals we ordered one sirloin and one rib-eye.

The main coursed arrived and looked nicely dressed with pea-shoots and field mushrooms.

Again both of these meals were very disappointing.

The chips could only be described as warm, soggy and uninviting!

The rib-eye was a disaster; it was most certainly not the ‘medium’ that I ordered; it was dry beyond belief with not a hint of ‘pinkness’ or juice, it was difficult to swallow without a drink!

My wife described her sirloin as having ‘a good taste but unpleasantly chewy’.

On a positive note, we loved the mushrooms and pea-shoots.

When asked by our waitress ‘was everything alright’ I politely outlined our disappointments.

She later came back to say that ‘the chef is sorry!’ (So how does that help anyone?)

So we ordered our deserts to see if we could salvage something from our evening out, only to be told that our choice of crème brûlée was not available!!!

At that point we decided enough was enough; the meal and the overall dining experience can only be described as poor.

My steak was quite the poorest ever to come out of a professional kitchen.

And to add insult to injury we still had the £12:50 supplement for the steaks and mushy olives.

To be fair we had been warned by others that the Peldon Rose was poor but decided to give it a go.

On the basis of our experience last evening we would suggest that you give this place a miss until they can find themselves a decent chef.

4  Thank Mike-and-Lynne1234