“Sleeping Beauty”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Mercury Theatre

Mercury Theatre
Ranked #2 of 64 things to do in Colchester
More attraction details
Owner description: Free the fun in you! The Mercury exists to put theatre at the heart of the cultural life of the community it serves and to make work in Colchester that reaches audiences and generates critical attention regionally and nationally.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Sleeping Beauty”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

What a disapointment! Have been coming to the Mercury for years and this is the first time I did not come away feeling I had seen a good performance.
It did not have the expected audience participation and I could not wait for it to finish.
I will not be going back this year.

3 Thank Anne A
Audiences, Manager at Mercury Theatre, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
We are very sorry to hear that - we will write to you in May/June about next year's panto, and will outline how we have listened to the feedback of all our audience members to make next year's show bigger and better than ever. I hope that when you receive that letter you will reconsider, and that we will see you again next year.

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Better than the west end”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

The standard of the productions here are as good if not better than many west end shows a real regular local theatre with many cast members on the company books a programme of plays to suit all tastes ....

Visited November 2013
Audiences, Manager at Mercury Theatre, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Thank you for your lovely feedback Ray, we hope to see you again at the Mercury soon!
Malmo, Sweden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sleeping Beauty #Sad Face”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

If you're looking for a traditional panto with lots of fun, laughter and jokes then Sleeping Beauty at The Mercury Theatre in Colchester is NOT for you. Almost devoid of all the elements traditionally associated with pantomime (such as a villain to boo, a good sing-along, ad libbing, corny jokes, witty ripostes, double entendre, pantomime cow and a proper 'it's behind you routine'), this was a performance that left me cold. The script was weak and, in some places, bizarre. At one point a character says ''OMG, # hash tag sad face" (that was supposed to be a joke by the way). That's exactly how I felt when I left the theatre after an uninspiring show.
Things didn't bode well when the Musical Director 'slunk' into the orchestra pit and we then had a very brief musical overture that was completely underwhelming. No chance to start clapping or foot tapping before we were whisked away into a nightmare of a panto.
The musical content was disappointing, with the only memorable piece being Great Balls of Fire sung well but without feeling by Justin, the prince. Things then went from bad to worse with wooden acting and a cast who although they could sing, just seemed so uncomfortable with the medium of pantomime. There was absolutely no rapport among the cast and it was uncomfortable to watch. No one looked as if they were enjoying themselves, no one apart from Fairy Crystal had any empathy with the audience and the lines were delivered so quickly that it felt as if everyone just wanted to get home.
There were so many bizarre elements including rapping police dogs that just went on far too long. Even my 16 year old son who recognised the rap from You Tube thought it was ''just weird''. Other oddities included furry rabbits, a pregnant queen hollering during childbirth, and a sort of Play School approach to the youngsters quizzing them on the meaning of a republic. And the script was puerile, patronising and pathetic.
There's an old adage, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'' and never a truer word was spoken. I can only imagine this was an exercise in cost cutting, or a chance for someone to cut their script writing teeth? After 30 years of going to The Mercury, I can't believe that I am writing this but I really want the team at The Mercury Theatre to sit up, listen and act!

1 Thank JustJoeSweden
Thank you for your feedback, and for getting in touch directly - we have written to you and hope that we will see you again next year.

Best wishes,

Robin
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Sleeping Beauty 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

Made our usual family visit to the Mercury Theatre on Christmas Eve for the Sleeping Beauty Pantomime. The cast were different to that of previous years & I had heard negative comments from others, but we thought it was fantastic! A really great polished production, really enjoyed it and the children loved it too. It was really great to see something different.

Visited December 2013
Thank you for your lovely feedback, and we are very pleased to hear your family had a great time. We hope to see you again at next year's panto!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Sleeping Beauty Pantomime 2013-14”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

The pantomime at the Mercury Theatre has always been a greatly anticipated event since I started going nearly 20 years ago. Up until this year, I have come out of the performance with high praise. It upsets me to say that this year's pantomime was terrible. The weak and bizarre story line was poorly backed up with bad songs and annoying characters. There were no jokes aimed towards anyone over 5 which was my main criticism as well as no classic "silly" pantomime puns/jokes. I can see the actor playing the dame being very good in a panto with a good script, however, the script had nothing for them to work with and the parts where the dame would normally flirt with a male audience member were poorly written and not incorporated at all into the story.
The pantomime in other years has had a large chorus with children involved. This year, the chorus was small with no children which was a shame.
The musicians were on stage which I was initially excited about, but they were far too serious and at times (when they were meant to be involved in the script and interact with characters) were half hearted. The final criticism was the lack of a baddie. The old woman was meant to be this but had no large part meaning there were no moments where the audience could boo and hiss.
There are quite a few more examples and factors that were disappointing, but these were the main ones.
To give credit where due, the scenery, stage and costumes were still as impressive and clever as normal.
As a family we are considering another panto next year if there is no change. So overall in my opinion don't bother going if you aren't sure.

6 Thank gdrwoodley
marketingmercury, Manager at Mercury Theatre, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback of your recent visit to the Panto, and for your long history of supporting the Mercury. Thanks also for your feedback on the scenery, stage and costumes.

We’re sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy the performance, but if you could send an email containing your contact details to tickets@mercurytheatre.co.uk, we would like to write to you.