“Family friendly - quick service and good food”
Review of The Crown

The Crown
Ranked #356 of 476 Restaurants in Colchester
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Crown in Colchester is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Bexley, United Kingdom
“Family friendly - quick service and good food”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I took my two young sons to The Crown for an evening meal while staying in the area.

The children's menu offered a good selection and a refreshing change from the chicken nuggets or hot dogs that usually seem to be staple kids meals at pubs. Two courses and a drink cost just under £7 - service was also thankfully fast!

The adults menu offered a range of choices - from burgers and steaks, to pies and chicken dishes. There are other pub chains that offer a bigger selection of meals - however the pie I had was tasty and was served quickly.

I ordered at the bar- although the pub started to offer a table service by the time we left.
Service was friendly and the cost reasonable.

We'd reserved a table - but at 5pm on a Saturday, there were plenty of tables. They'd started filling up by the time we left just after 6pm.

Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Very good Father's Day meal”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We had not been to the crown for a long while,but we booked a table for eleven of us for a Father's Day meal and I must say we were all very pleased with the food service and cost,we ordered of both there Sunday menu as well as the special Father's Day menu.We will be back very soon to try there other menu's for lunch and dinner,I think we shall become regulars again.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Excellent as usual”
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

Visited here for a meal last Wednesday evening. Booked online,so easy as usual. Lovely evening. Great food. Good value. Very good, attentive and friendly staff. No feeling of being hurried out at the end, even though time was getting on a bit! Really very good all round!

Visited June 2014
Colchester
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing !”
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

Me and my family went here for a meal on Monday the 16th we had not been before and were skeptical based on the other reviews but it is my fathers favourite restaurant so it was his choice , in the end there were 10 of us in total and we were given a lovely long table behind the bar. Our waiter was called Conner and he was very attentive making sure we had everything we needed I had the cured salmon which was delicious and others in the group had mushrooms and the Brie which looked equally appetising for Mains I had the fish and chips which was a huge piece of fish the only downside would be that the batter was a little too thick for my liking but still tasted really good , after my visit I was surprisingly impressed and will be looking to return in the near future.

1 Thank Graham5531
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Much Better than expected”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Visiting this restaurant did not fill me with excitement. The venue was not my choice and I am really not a fan of chains where the food is the same in hundreds of other locations.
Although not fine dining the food was actually more than acceptable. Five of us dined and we all chose different meals. It arrived in good time and everyone was happy. Plain fare but ok for a reasonable lunch at a fair price.
Staff were nice and the place was clean