“Excellent meal!”

Naka Thai
Ranked #68 of 489 Restaurants in Colchester
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Relax and enjoy authentic Thai cuisine in this 300 year old historic Tudor building in Colchester. Although the building has been modernised, it still retains every aspect of its uniqueness and heritage. Our Head Chef, Triphop Thongkraing, was raised and trained in Thailand and has over 25 years experience. His talents are proven through customer enjoyment and appreciation for his cooking ability and innate creativity. This inspires him to maintain the Thai culinary traditions, preparation and presentation in Naka Thai. The atmosphere is friendly and welcoming, and you can dine assured that no matter what the occasion is you will have a pleasurable dining experience.
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Me and a friend had a table of 16 people on a Friday night for our birthday meal. Service was excellent. Pat, the manager, is so lovely! He showed us round a few weeks before the meal so we knew what to expect. The night couldn't have gone better. The atmostphere in the restaurant is great. Thought it might be quite noisy as there were a few other large groups upstairs where we were, but it really wasnt! Staff were all really friendly and the food was lovely, and great value for money with huge portions! We had a tastecard and got 50% off all our food as well, for the whole table! Everyone had a great night, and we can definatley reccommend going to Naka Thai! Thanks to Pat and all his staff for making our birthday a memorable one! Becky

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Probably not the fairest of reviews as we attended this restaurant on Valentines Day. They were promoting a banquet, with live band (serenading music) and a complimentary glass of sparkling rose.
We bought tickets in advance, we were offered fizz on arrival and quickly seated at our table next to the doorway to the Kitchen, not the best location but they did have a curtain screen.

The band; an acoustic duo were ok but had two or three amplifiers and only a few feet away from us were too loud for us hear one another while chatting. It was a shame as it was probably not a problem for diners in other parts of the restaurant.

Service was friendly but there were many waitresses buzzing around creating quite a hussle bussle feeling. We were asked 3 times if we would like our starter now.... err yes please!

Despite all the buzzing around, service was slow. Also we were very aware of the takeaway delivery person coming and going through the restaurant to the kitchen with their cool boxes as well as customers standing around the bar waiting to collect their orders.

Food was nice but not at all memorable.

Unfortunately the ambiance for a romantic Valentine's dinner was not achieved.

I would visit this restaurant again, but on a normal serving and not on a special occassion.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Having seen this place change names a few times I was a bit hesitant to eat here...But I have to say the worries were soon put to rest!! The food was LOVELY!!! A good variety of choice and the prawns was amazing! It was a lovely atmosphere, my only negative would be that it was a little cold inside but that would not stop me from coming back! :) and with tastecard this is an outstanding value restaurant!!!!

1  Thank Miniskirts
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I visited for the first time as it was my sisters and brother in laws 40th birthday. A group of 17 was very much looking forward to the vening, but it was an evening to remember for all the wrong reasons!! We ordered our starters and they took 2hours to get to us and some arrived cold and we sent them back. they didn't all arrive at the same time. Whilst we were waiting the lady service us came back 3 times to check what some had ordered.. The waitress didn't appear to be able to take a large order. There was 5 family's in all in our party and we wanted separate bills and the waitress gave us numbers, which mine changed 3 times. In the end we decided to leave and not wait for our main meals because at 10pm after being there for 2.5 hrs, they hadn't even started cooking the meals. I was gutted for my sister and brother in law as it turned out to be a truely nightmare evening and not a happy birthday at all for them. We only paid for our drinks as we was not paying for cold food and some of us did not get our starters. I have NEVER experinced anything like this before and can't see myself wanting to return to Naka Thai, a truly bad and upsetting evening out.

1  Thank Nats7777
Naka-Thai, Manager at Naka Thai, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Natts,
First and foremost, we would like to apologize for your experience at Naka Thai. I assume that you were in the same party with Emma for her 40 birthday celebration, which she was given us the feedback below this review. As explained and discussed over the phone with Stewart and Emma, it was entirely our fault that we didn't prepare ourself well enough for your party. What we can do here is to apologize and hope you would give us another chance as Emma and Stewart promise us that they would come back.

Best regards,
Naka Thai Manager

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Booked a table for 19 people to celebrate my husbands and mine 40th birthday. We ordered our starters and they took 2hours to get to us and they was cold. The waitress did not have a clue what she was doing with taking our orders. There was 5 family's in all in our party and we wanted separate bills and the waitress gave us numbers, when she should of just taken a family name and there order. Instead of waiting for our main meals, we decided to leave as come 10pm they had not even started cooking our main meals. I am so upset by what has happened as we had been before and the staff and service had been 100%. We only paid for our drinks as we was not paying for cold food and some of us did not get our starters. My husband sent his starter back as it was cold and it came out heated up and dry. They told us things where not heated in the microwave as they did not have one, but clearly they used a microwave as the plum sauce with the dumplings was bubbling. So disappointed with how our 40th celebration ended up. Cannot see any of us wanting to go back. They didn't even give us enough room at the table, we was squashed in like sardines. The manager really needs to sort this place out. If they cannot cater for big parties then they should not of taken my reservation.

1  Thank emmastewart
Naka-Thai, Manager at Naka Thai, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear Emma and Stewart,

First and foremost, I would like to apologies about everything that happened on the night of your 40 birthday celebration. As a manager who oversees everything at Naka Thai, I admitted it was all my fault and since you were understandably very upset with what happened on the night, we had a big meeting and tried to find out what actually happened.

There were three issue here on the night.

Firstly, you may have doubted that we cannot cater for big party.We can assure you that we have catered for a lot of big parties since we opened in the last 2 years. For example, the humanity department from essex university dinner conference, consist of 75 people. Why the problem occurred on the night of your party will be explained at the later stage.

Secondly, it seemed that you were not happy with the table we set up for your party. This problem happened because it was my fault to assume that you might have wanted to sit together on one long table. As you are regular in our restaurant, you can see that we can comfortably put 18 together on one long table but when you had 19, the seating became not so comfortable. What I should have done here was I should have suggested you to sit on two smaller table maybe a table of 9 on each table. This was just down to the lack of communication from our restaurant because we have been very experienced in handling big parties in the last two years so we should have known better.

Lastly and the most important issue, I wholeheartedly admitted that it was our fault that it took one and half hour before you had your starter. As explained to you over the phone, it was just down to a very small detail that affected the flow of your table service because we normally serve all the starters and main course within one and half hour for that similar number in one given party. Luckily, you understood us and promise to give us another chance.

The whole point here was that we, Naka Thai, are very very young as a restaurant and business. We still have a lot to learn and we will learn from this mistake and improve upon it. Our ultimate goal when we decided to open Naka Thai is to serve the best Thai food with the greatest value for people of Colchester. We know that we still have a long way to achieve that goal. However, we will do whatever it take to achieve that goal. We do apologies again for spoiling your birthday celebration. At the same time, we are so grateful that you will give us another chance as discussed over the phone. When you visit us again, we will do everything to make your Naka Thai experience as perfect as possible.

We're looking forward to seeing you in the next 2 weeks,