“Only have one night in Colchester? Worth going here”
Review of Naka Thai

Naka Thai
Ranked #29 of 525 Restaurants in Colchester
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Relax and enjoy authentic Thai cuisine in this 300 year old historic Tudor building in Colchester. Although the building has been modernised, it still retains every aspect of its uniqueness and heritage. Our Head Chef, Triphop Thongkraing, was raised and trained in Thailand and has over 25 years experience. His talents are proven through customer enjoyment and appreciation for his cooking ability and innate creativity. This inspires him to maintain the Thai culinary traditions, preparation and presentation in Naka Thai. The atmosphere is friendly and welcoming, and you can dine assured that no matter what the occasion is you will have a pleasurable dining experience.
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We only had time to go to one restaurant during our trip to Colchester and were very pleased that we chose this one.

The decor looked impressive as soon as we walked in. The atmosphere was buzzy but special and we were very happy with our table.

The food was tasty and well-priced, and the presentation was immaculate. For example our starter came with carrots carved into the shape of a hummingbird, I've never seen anything like it. I was particularly impressed with the beer on offer because I'm an enthusiast and the one I chose isn't widely available in this country.

What really made it special was the service. It was attentive but unhurried throughout our meal. Towards the end a man (I presume the manager) took the time to come over to us and not only ask how our meal had been and if anything could be improved, but also told us a little of the history of the building, which was fascinating.

A waitress noticed us looking at one of the Thai pictures on the wall and explained to us what it depicted. It didn't feel like any of this was done because they felt they had to, but because they really cared about our visit and treated us as guests.

In short, really worth visiting and I feel it very much deserves its good reviews.

14  Thank AlexSwallow
Naka-Thai, Manager at Naka Thai, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2012

Dear AlexSwallow,
First and foremost, we would like to say thank you for coming to Naka Thai, especially you only had one night in Colchester and chose us out of 150 restaurant in Colchester. I personally translated your review into Thai language for our kitchen staff to appriciate your comment more and trust me they are so happy especially our headchef who did a carrot hummingbird for you. He said that if you visit Colchester and decided to come to Naka Thai again, he will come out and demonstrate how he carve a carrot hummingbird for you. You also mentioned our staff was so friendly and made you feel that they treated you as their guest not another customers. Thank you very much for this particular point because this is what we have been working so hard upon since we opened 9 months ago. We have been trying to empower our staff and trying to tell them that they have to feel this is their own restaurant and we are nothing without our customers. From your comment, it seems that our staff have that mentality now and we will print your review out and put on our notice board so that they know what they did is appriciated by the customers.

We are so grateful that you came to Naka Thai and did this review for us and we really hope to see you again when you come to Colchester next time.

Best regards,
Naka Thai Manager

Reviewed April 26, 2012

Great food, excellent service, can't fault it. Will definately recommend it to everyone

5  Thank charlottetyler89
Naka-Thai, Manager at Naka Thai, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2012

Dear Charlotte,
Thank you very much for doing this review for us especially you said we are the best restaurant in Essex not only in Colchester. According to our own research, therer are about 35 Thai restaurant in Essex and when you said we are the best out of 35, that means a lot to us.

We really hope to see you again soon,
Best regards,
Naka Thai manager

Reviewed April 26, 2012

I recently visited the Naka Thai with my cousin and received a very warm welcome, the service was excellent, attentive but not intrusive and the food was beautifully presented. Used my Tastecard so with 50% off it was definitely excellent value for money. The Naka Thai will certainly be on my list of preferred restaurants.

5  Thank Frances D
Reviewed April 17, 2012

The food was amazing. Really fresh and wonderful flavours.
Service friendly and efficient.
My fzvourite Thai from now on.

5  Thank Foodie186338
Reviewed April 17, 2012

My wife and I often use Naka Thai for both dining and takeaways. I have always found the food to be totally authentic (I have visited thailand around 20 times) and extremely delicious. The staff are very attentive and we have always received a warm welcome from the owner.
This is without doubt the best Thai restaurant in the area and is well worth a visit for those new to thai food and connoisseurs alike. You will not be dissapointed!!

3  Thank elliott l